I was playing a gig yesterday and my amp crapped out half way through the set.

I have a Crate RFX212 120 watt amp that I've used without trouble for the past 2 years. its got three channels: clean, rhythm and solo, the latter two being the distortion. After a lot of tinkering and toying with it i now know that the clean channel works fine, but the rhythm and solo channels don't. So i definitely didn't blow the speakers.

When i switch to either of the distorted channels i can very very faintly hear whatever i play no matter how high i turn the volume or gain. I opened up the back hoping something just came unplugged but nope, everything seems fine back there (although i'm not too sure what i'm actually looking for...)

i was wondering if anyone out there could help, every time ive needed help in the past UG steps up and thats why i keep coming back.

thanks a bunch in advance, i hope i gave enough info. I'm a bit stressed and flustered right now just because my band is supposed to be recording a demo in the upcomming weeks and i don't have the money to buy a new amp right now.

EDIT: and do you think that its worth it to go have it fixed or would it be the same as just buying a new amp?
Quote by happytimeharry
ig·no·rant

1. Lacking education or knowledge.
2. Showing or arising from a lack of education or knowledge: an ignorant mistake.
3. Unaware or uninformed.

also see: elitist asshat
Last edited by atc228 at Aug 14, 2007,
Do you use a footswitch? Try it without the switch (switch it at the head with the footswitch unhooked.) Not it? Clean all the pots, input and output jacks with tuner spray (contact cleaner.) Check the effects loop input and output jacks. Look for broken wires in the jacks.
If these don't solve the problem be aware that Crate amps have had problems with bad (cold solder) connections. Sometimes they work for quite a while before they fail. You would need a tech to trace them.
i know this is probably not it
but i have a crate amp too and one day i brought it home after a gig and lo and behold the solo and rhythm didn't work
I almost crapped myself because i love my amp and i think its really good...
anyway
what helped me is that i didnt have the equalizer settings turned up on the rhythm chanel and i though i blew it so
your problem jsut reminded me of that...
MY GEAR:
IBANEZ RGT42DX
Crate GT65
Digitech RP200 effects pedal

ESP LTD B-50
Peavey Max 112

Shure SM-58
Thanks a bunch, right now I'm figuring it's bad connections. I've tried the other things already and everyone I've talked to suggests the soldering. Do you know how much it will drain me if i bring it to a tech? there's no way i could figure that all out on my own.

thank you for taking the time this late at night, i really do appreciate it.
Quote by happytimeharry
ig·no·rant

2. Showing or arising from a lack of education or knowledge: an ignorant mistake.

You should try messing around with the EQ or the level knobs.

Also, don't you mean RFX120? Because the 120 IS 120 watts and has 2 12" speakers. I love the amp for it's versatility and the ability to go from Jazz to bone-crushing Thrash in just a channel change.

You should also check the volume knob on your guitar just to be safe.
Jackson SLSMG Soloist (JB/Jazz)
Roland Micro Cube

Member of UG's gain \/\/hores-pm gpderek09 to join.
yeah i checked the knobs on the guitar and messed with all the eq. sorry about the amp mix up haha, it is the 120. on the crate website when i need to look up any specs on it they dont have the rfx series so i just look at the vtx212. thats where i got messed up. i do love that amp, it was my first real amp, by real i dont me practice amp.

i think im just going to have to bring it to a tech, oh well
thanks again
Quote by happytimeharry
ig·no·rant