I haven't been on this for a very long time. lol. This song is just a long solo that I pretty much just wrote in like half an hour. I haven't put drums and bass in yet. In the middle, at the interlude, it changes from a major key to a minor key, same key, just first half is major and the second is minor. I'm not sure it works. I can't figure out how to transition it well enough to make it work. I showed it to my bro and he said it was fine how it is, so. ok. lol. I'd really appreciate any comments or suggestions on this song.

Also, just so you guys know, and what you already know if you've listened to some of my other songs, I'm not a very good solo guitarist, I taught myself how to play and for five years never bothered to improvise or to learn anyone elses solos. I finally started lessons last year, and my teacher started to teach me a bit about improvising and soloing and stuff, so I'm fairly knew at this.
Attachments:
Joe Satriani Type Guitar Solo Song.zip
First two bars sound a lot like Iron Man

To be honest, it doesn't sound like joe satriani at all. It sounds more like black sabbath or some other old metal band. The tapping sounds pretty good, but try harmonizing it like halfway through to give it some variety.
Alta Vera - My real life alternative rock band.
Ashen Spire - My personal metal band.

Super Mario, F-Zero & Dragonball Z covers!

PSN: whatev27

Let me ask you, does a machine like yourself ever experience fear?

Um... I think you should change the rythm for the rythm guitar part at the beggining.... because... you know... it sounds like Iron Man.

The lead at 24 and 25 sounds kind of funky... You shouldn't have put the thirds above
the 7 and the 5... they're off key.

I liked the lead guitar on bars 34-40.

The interlude was very mellow, and it sounded underwater... it was cool.

The tapping was good as well... but I agree with November... you should try to harmonize it.

Overall, it was a decent song, you should just try to spice it up a little. It's too basic. And try adding drums.
I'm a person.
Yeah! Your first notes in the Rythm Guitar are the same as Black Sabbaths' Iron Man.

About the solos I can say that, you do better solos than I jajaja, thats for sure, and now that you are working with some teacher to improve your skills, its just matter of time. I would like to hear it complete, but for now its ok. Good work 8/10
Alright, first off, Joe Satriani. Joe Satriani is a solo guitarist, for those who don't know. This song sounds and awful lot like a solo to me. lol. The rythm guitar, first few notes aren't the same as iron man. Same pattern, wrong key. And I don't know why you guys don't like it when I get inspired by something. Why can't the first 3 notes in the rythm guitar have the same pattern as the few few notes in another song? This song is way, way different from iron man. Different enough to be called different. Thats all it needs to be.

Another thing, the third and fourth, the 5 and 7 in bars 24 and 25, are not out of key. The song is not in a minor key. The 5 at least, if not the 7, is in key. Maybe I'll change it I don't know. But, it's not much more out of key than Joe Satriani's song The Extremist. lol.

I appreciate you're opinions and I will be making changes. Drums and bass will be coming. I'll think about harmonizing the tapping. My band only has 2 guitarists, but I guess this song was more for fun than really serious song writing, so I could add another guitar.

Thanks for the comments. Rock on.
Quote by arcains_valor
Alright, first off, Joe Satriani. Joe Satriani is a solo guitarist, for those who don't know. This song sounds and awful lot like a solo to me. lol. The rythm guitar, first few notes aren't the same as iron man. Same pattern, wrong key. And I don't know why you guys don't like it when I get inspired by something. Why can't the first 3 notes in the rythm guitar have the same pattern as the few few notes in another song? This song is way, way different from iron man. Different enough to be called different. Thats all it needs to be.

Another thing, the third and fourth, the 5 and 7 in bars 24 and 25, are not out of key. The song is not in a minor key. The 5 at least, if not the 7, is in key. Maybe I'll change it I don't know. But, it's not much more out of key than Joe Satriani's song The Extremist. lol.

I appreciate you're opinions and I will be making changes. Drums and bass will be coming. I'll think about harmonizing the tapping. My band only has 2 guitarists, but I guess this song was more for fun than really serious song writing, so I could add another guitar.

Thanks for the comments. Rock on.

It's not the notes dude, it's the rhythmic motif, yes you give it your own flavor at the end of the phrase, but the beginning, of the phrase... yeah that sounds a ton like Iron Man, My bet, most people will recognize that as having direct influence from black sabbath... nothing wrong with getting inspired, it's just if I copy a riff completely, but transpose it to another key, especially one with as signature a sound as Iron man, it's not very original....

It doesn't remind me of Satch so much... I mean, if pentatonics and more of a lead guitar taking the main voice type of thing is where you're drawing the satch influence from, I guess that's alright, but sonically, you're not doing much of any of the things that satch plays to make him unique, like his pitch axis composition, or his knack for mixing up sonic jabs with different scales to imply different modes over chord progressions.... I see you're trying to do that, but you might wanna try presenting it differently, like arpeggiating the background chords ala always with me always with you...

Not a totally bad tune man, I can see what you're trying to go for... If your ambition is to write more guitar in the lead songs, this is a nice beginning... good luck with the playing...

PS... checking out some of your other tunes...I liked the start of watch it all burn... again though, you took another rhythm and even a similar if not direct copy of the riff from RA's "Do You Call My Name"
Last edited by ChuckV at Aug 21, 2007,