Page 1 of 2
What is, in your opinion, the best instrumental guitar song? My faves are For the Love of God, by Vai, and Satch Boogie, by Satch. I really like lots of others, but those come to mind immediately. How bout you guys?
Lenny
Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day
You fritter and waste the hours in an offhand way
Kicking around on a piece of ground in your home town
Waiting for someone or something to show you the way
That is hard but im gonna have to say YYZ by rush because the drums, guitar, and bass are all equally kick ass. Its not like most instrumentals centered around once instrument.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Lenny - Stevie Ray Vaughan. my absolute favorite.

but some others:
Scuttle Buttin'
Say What!
Rude Mood

all by Stevie Ray.

EDIT: dangit. beat to it. but still, great taste.
Quote by Dimebag22
Lenny
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
The entire Population Override CD by Buckethead
Quote by soulflyV
Prepare to have every orifice in your body occupied by a dwarf.
Any and all instrumental post rock.

At this moment in time I prefer Russian Circles, Explosions in the Sky, This Will Destroy You, Pelican, Red Sparowes, etc.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
the dance of eternity

i mean, come on. how many instrumentals do you know that have a barroom piano solo in the middle?
Go Veg.
for a metal side, 1776 by Iced Earth
Guitar:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Jackson DK2-L w/ Dimarzio X2N
Takamine acoustic

Bass:
Fender Precision Bass

Amp:
Marshall AVTX150H
Behringer BG412F
Marshall MG15MSII
Dance of Eternity - Dream Theater
Soothsayer - Buckethead
My guitar modification blog.
Quote by MuffinMan
Jesus was all like "To those about to rock, I salute you." then he grabbed his mighty axe and rocked the Romans out really hard. Of course they were strict classical music so....
gonna have to say YYZ, although, i was tempted not to, because of too much effing guitar hero, but that song survives the guitar hero gauntlet, and wins my vote
MY RIG:

Gibson Explorer '73 reissue, Classic White
Schecter Blackjack S1
Crate Stack

Thats noise violation in a box!
nottingham lace by buckethead
BASSLINES TO MAKE YOUR CHEST CAVITY SHUDDER.
Quote by SeventhSkull
for a metal side, 1776 by Iced Earth

great song right there

im gonna have to go with
"acid rain" by liquid tension experiment
I've been listening to Rodrigo y Gabriela's "Diablo Rojo" alot lately. Great song.
Gear
Schecter C-1 Artist
Vox AD15VT
Epiphone EJ-200 Acoustic
Viking Kong by Racer X

That song gets me airguitaring publicly in a bus no matter what.
Call me a fag, but I like "I Love My Parents" by Buckethead. I also love "Pulling Strings" by John 5 and "Revontulet" by Sonata Arctica
Quote by burrit0
That was really beautiful, can you recommend me some classical guitarists? I'm really interested.

John Williams doesn't really compose that much (he does, but I've only heard his compositions on one album), but he plays many classical pieces great on guitar, as well as Julian Bream.

As for Classical guitarist composers, Agustín Barrios Mangoré is regarded by some (including John Williams) to be the greatest guitarist/composer of all. Others regard Heitor Villa-Lobos with the same title. A good piece by Barrios is "Las Abejas", and my favorite by Villa-Lobos is "Choros No. 1". Here's a good video in case you're interested:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAg8VHuXNKU

Also, Andres Segovia transcribed a lot of Bach pieces for guitar. I recommend searching John Williams on youtube. He plays a good rendition of Bach's prelude, 1006.
Bad Horsie - Steve Vai idk, imo, its fricken awesome
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
All of buckethead's electric tears album

All guitar instrumentals and they are fantastic.

I also like Classical Gas and SRV's Riviera Paradise.
Quote by The Madcap
John Williams doesn't really compose that much (he does, but I've only heard his compositions on one album), but he plays many classical pieces great on guitar, as well as Julian Bream.

As for Classical guitarist composers, Agustín Barrios Mangoré is regarded by some (including John Williams) to be the greatest guitarist/composer of all. Others regard Heitor Villa-Lobos with the same title. A good piece by Barrios is "Las Abejas", and my favorite by Villa-Lobos is "Choros No. 1". Here's a good video in case you're interested:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAg8VHuXNKU

Also, Andres Segovia transcribed a lot of Bach pieces for guitar. I recommend searching John Williams on youtube. He plays a good rendition of Bach's prelude, 1006.

Thanks a lot, I always like this style of guitar. I never got that interested until you posted that piece.
Any Wes Montgomery
Any Marty Friedman
Francisco Tarrega - Recuerdos de la Alhambra
like ok... THE CRUSADE - TRIVIUM
we all know it takes a REAL man to hate some one BETTER THAN YOU
cliffs of dover by eric johnson is pretty amazing, also midnight by joe satriani is pretty cool.
I really enjoy Orion by Metallica. Probably cuz im such a huge fan of Cliff Burton's bass playing
Quote by poopt
Any Wes Montgomery
Any Marty Friedman
Francisco Tarrega - Recuerdos de la Alhambra

I've heard you talk a lot about "Recuerdos De La Alhambra". You might like this if you haven't heard it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StxpWgfhjIg
Joe Satriani - If I Could Fly
Eric Johnson - Manhattan, Cliffs of Dover
Steve Vai - Tender Surrender

There's too much to say, though
STEVE VAI-TENDER SURRENDER HELL YEAH!!! sorry for the all caps. but seriously, youtube search it and you will see why it's so purely awesome!
Page 1 of 2