ok, so, heres the story,

im starting another band, well actually, joining, but anyway. me and the other guitarist really need to open the drummers ears to different kinds of music.

he basically only likes gnr, metallica, black sabbath, rob zombie, rammstein and ac/dc. theres nothing wrong with that as we like them bands to. but the problem is thats about all he likes. we need him to like many different types of metal. we've tried showing him other types like dragonforce, megadeth, dark tranquility, pantera, slayer, and many others.

the problem is that when we show him songs he stops listening when the singing comes in. and he usually doesnt even give it a proper listen.

the question is, how can we broaden his range of metal...and music

Last edited by thecameronator at Aug 14, 2007,
Hahaha, thats how our drummer is, he's kind of hardheaded, but he's cool.

But its kind of the opposite for us, me and my friend like GNR, Metallica, AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, Velvet Revolver, etc. Like Rock bands. And all he listens to is like System of a down, and i forgot the other names, but he listens to progressive rock, and metal. ITs weird.

So I dont really have advice for you right now, i also need advice for the same reason.
Show him the bands instrumental songs first?

You gotta kind of introduce him gradually though. Go to last.fm and find bands that sound a heck of a lot like 'tallica n stuff, then gradually get 'differenter'
-J
Quote by MickeyJ
Show him the bands instrumental songs first?

You gotta kind of introduce him gradually though. Go to last.fm and find bands that sound a heck of a lot like 'tallica n stuff, then gradually get 'differenter'

thats wat i was thinking, but the problem is he like, refuses to listen

but ill still give it a go
Quote by thecameronator
thats wat i was thinking, but the problem is he like, refuses to listen

but ill still give it a go

or maybe he doesn't like your kind of music? u cant force people, if its a BIG issue find a new drummer
Quote by That_Pink_Queen
Groll you're a bloody genius

Quote by a6l6e6x1
wow
im "talking" to the future greatest director in the world
PRIVELAGED

member #9 of "The Beatles really are the greatest

Metal Face productions! watch our movies!
http://www.metalface.tk/
maybe hes worried that u guys wanna play that stuff but he isnt good enough to ?? idk cant force someone into liking types of music
Get him drunk then make him listen to Vulgar Display of Power, I garuantee he'll **** himself. Just kidding, just slightly introduce him to that kind of music.
Currently in blues mode.
Having different tastes in music isn't necessarily a problem. It can add variety to a band. However, in this case I don't think your tastes are really all that different. He is more into hard rock where as you are more into metal which isn't drastically different. I think it'll be an issue only if you plan on covering some songs and he refuses to play them.

For expanding his tastes... I'd advise picking out some really strong songs, putting them on a CD and giving them to him. Or possibly take him to a concert, though price and availability would depend on the band.
WARNING:This post contains explicit portrayals of violence; sex; violent sex; sexual violence; clowns and violent scenes of violent excess, which are definitely not suitable for all audiences.
Play stuff in the car. That way he can't just leave and if you are driving, you automatically have total music rights. Also, play stuff that will make him want to play like that. Drum heavy bands, stuff that's just nutty and will inspire him to look past the vocals. The Faceless, Necrophagist, and Behemoth are a few that come to mind where the vox can really turn somebody off, but the drumming is just too sick to pass up.
Quote by nightwind
You must never double the leading tone ever. Failure to comply will result in a fugue related death.