what woods are heavy and what ones are light?
(for a bass body to be made from obv)

I was looking at a Marcus Miller signature and apparently its heavy
It has an Ash body by the way.

I have no idea what mine is made from at the moment to be honest,
I tried looking it up but it just said "basswood" correct me if im wrong, but theres no such tree as a Bass Tree is there? lol
There is basswood, but it's crap. Sorry but that's as much as I can contribute
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
Ash can be hefty in weight. Alder sounds pretty similar to Ash, and is lighter. Basswood is light, but many people (including myself) don't like the sound of it.
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
thanks, I might have to try out some different types next time I go to the music shop to see what the weight difference is.

and Im gonna try to stay clear of basswood from now on lol
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Cut off all your fingers, and keep them in a freezer until your cravings stop, then go to hospital and have them sewn back on.

If you manage to smoke without fingers then you deserve a cigarette
Don't get me wrong, you should try a basswood body to see if you like the tone, but some people prefer other woods. It's worth a try to see if it's for you.
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
Quote by Confused4930
Don't get me wrong, you should try a basswood body to see if you like the tone, but some people prefer other woods. It's worth a try to see if it's for you.

My current bass has a basswood body, I dont mind it, but its not exactly good either.
It'll get me by for now I guess. Juts till I have the money for a decent bass
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Cut off all your fingers, and keep them in a freezer until your cravings stop, then go to hospital and have them sewn back on.

If you manage to smoke without fingers then you deserve a cigarette
There's a difference between basswood harvested in a forest next to a chinese *****house and basswood harvested in an American forest, just so you guys know. Bongos and EBMM John Petrucci guitars both use basswood, and I'd take them over just over most other companies more "ideal" tone woods.

And all woods can vary in weight. Hard ash is generally heavy, as is mahogany, while alder and swamp ash are generally light.
haha
Alder and Basswood are generally light. Ash is pretty light. Mahogany is somewhere inthe middle, and Maple or Bubinga are generally fairly heavy.

But the weight of wood REALLY depends on the cut of wood, the age of the tree, all of that business. So, you could buy a bass with the lightest wood, and get a bass just as heavy as a Warwick. Its hard to tell the weight of a bass made out of pure wood until you've picked it up.

If you're looking for a new bass and are interested in the wood, the estimated weight that most companies give you is going to be closer than a judge of types of wood.

Same goes for tone. Its hard to tell until you play the bass. Generally, heavier wood gives you a brighter tone, and lighter wood is a little softer.

Dictator For Life of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Yertle to join.
^ It's strange, though. My '51 Precision RI is ash, and it weighs about 16lbs. But newer RI's are literally half the weight.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
I guess they found ways to slim down weight over the past 56 years hahaha. it wouldn't surprise me in the least bit!

I mean, back then they were just happy to stop lugging around those bulky uprights! 8 pound basses were still nothing but fantasy...

Dictator For Life of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Yertle to join.
Well, mine's an RI (reissue) from 1990 and it's 16lbs. The current ones are under 10 easy. Strange...
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
ya i'm gonna throw this in this thread cuz i'm curious(and it's on topic)...what are peoples opinions of agathis?
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu