after getting my new amp and the fact that im gonna get a sterling in a few months time its time for me look at effects. Im asking you guys to help me out and give me a few ideas.and before anyone asks i will go and try them out to see what their like.

first:

envelope filter

for the envelope filter im leaning towards a q tron but if you have any other suggestions i would be pleased to hear them.

wah pedal

next im looking for a wah pedal, im thinking about the dunlop crybaby bass wah or the cliff burton signature

compressor

im thinking about the boss cs-3, but if you know of anything else let me know

delay pedal

i have no idea what one to get here so this is were i need the most help

distortion

currently i have a boss odb-3 but im thinking about selling it because its not really that good. im thinkin about buying a big muff.

edit: tremolo

im looking to buy a tremolo aswell but have no idea which one

pedal board

last but not least comes the pedal board. im probably gonna get one custom made. can you tell me how to go about this.

im gonna be playing a mm sterling and a schecter stiletto studio 5 through the effects into a crate bt50 amp.

feel free ask any questions about anything.

my budget will be £50 to £150 pounds per pedal.

thanks

fleajr_1412
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Last edited by fleajr_1412 at Aug 14, 2007,
I find the Boss DD-3 is a really good delay pedal It has a wide range of delay modes. Thats the one I use. Not sure how much it is though.
okay thanks ill keep it in mind
Quote by skater dan0
For the distortion, I'd reccomend a Coloursound Tone Bender. Amazing pedal, can go from a Justin Chancellor sound to a Cliff Burton sound easily. It's expensive, however, so try find one used maybe?

However my overall advice would be to upgrade your amp first. You have 1 fantastic bass already, soon to be 2, and you're playing them both through a "meh" amp. I can understand getting a bass first, then an amp, but not 2 basses >_>.
ye i only just upgraded amp, yesterday in fact i got my bt50. im not gonna upgrade just yet because even though im gonna start playing gigs soon they won't be at a very big venue so i won't need the all that much volume. even so the crate is only 50 watts but it is still much much louder than other 50s
Quote by skater dan0
Last edited by fleajr_1412 at Aug 14, 2007,
Quote by fleajr_1412
im thinkin about buying a big muff.

Quick, someone shine the "Fitzlight"!

For distortion, though I'm not sure how much they are in jolly old England, I've heard very good reviews of the Galien-Krueger Diesel Dawg. It uses the circuitry from the 2001RB head and it sounds awesome.
Proud Owner of a Fender Jazz 24 V

Private Simmons of the Red vs. Blue club. PM Fret13 to join.

Things to come:
Carvin or Trace-elliot rig
EBS Valvedrive (Newest edition )
Ahaha, fitz, we need you!

Yeah, to the threadstarter, if you don't like the ODB-3, you'll hate the muff. Terrible pedal that swallows low end like an Soho hooker.

But by all means buy it if you don't mind vanishing with a puff of smoke when you try and use it in a band situation (this also applies to using it when the TV is on and not muted).

Courtesy of thefitz:
http://www.bassplayer.com/story.asp?sectioncode=21&storycode=16548

As for delay and compression, I'm still looking for good ones and will be keeping an eye on this thread.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
the BOSS bass chorus pedal is neat. i would also buy a synth wah pedal, i cant wiat to get one
Quote by even deeper
the BOSS bass chorus pedal is neat.

The CEB-3? Hell yes. It's a fundamental part of my sound now.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
thanks for the suggestion guys
Quote by skater dan0
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ElectroHarmonix-QTron-Effects-Pedal?sku=153310

The Q-tron envelope filter. The funkiest pedal you will ever lay eyes on. I have the regular Q-tron, above is the Q-tron plus. The regular might be discontinued, I'm not sure. This thing can give you a nice strong wah, a subtle wah, crunch, some distortion, and probably other sounds I haven't discovered yet. If you want an envelope filter, and have the money to afford this...get it.
ive already said im looking at a q tron
Quote by skater dan0
Flanger + Delay = Jesus
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
does anybody know a good site for effects that will deliver to the uk?

(not mf coz it would cost too much for shipping)
Quote by skater dan0
Quote by fleajr_1412
does anybody know a good site for effects that will deliver to the uk?

(not mf coz it would cost too much for shipping)

www.gak.co.uk
www.thomann.de
Now I'm blind and deaf because of all these lights and bells!

Anyway, very interesting thread, and good timing, especially considering my bass wah arrived in the mail moments ago!

IN MY OPINION, if you're on a budget, and unless you're a funk God, an envolope follower and the Crybaby 105Q is a bit redundant. My 105Q www-ops and aaaah-wwwuhs just like any envolope follower. Granted, you have to manually ooo-waa, but the sound was surprisingly similar. Basically, in my opinion, you only need either an envolope filter or the 105Q, unless you have a direct use for both of them. I recommend the 105Q but haven't spent time with a Q-tron or anything like that. http://www.bassplayer.com/story.asp?sectioncode=21&storycode=16549 <--- that's the envolope follower version of that distortion page I always link.

My Bassman has all the compression I need on-board. However, the Digitech bass compressor seems to be neat, since you can compress the highs and lows separately and set a crossover. However, it is a bit hissy.

Delay pedals for bass players are very touchy. There's the leather pants, big hair, and dramatic guitar solo delay, and then there's the delay with the main function of setting up loops. It's not easy to find a pedal that has both. Boss and Digitech make their huge loop stations. I know the Boss has one with 15 minutes of loop time, and the Digitech has 6.5 hours. Forget an iPod, I'll just get that loop and record all my favourite albums... anyway, both Boss and Digitech make near-identical delays, being the DD6 and the DigiDelay. I have the DigiDelay and it's great. The most conventional delay setting I use is a chorus delay; the delays get more and more chorused as you hear it repeat. Really dreamy. There's your normal delay settings, a totally useless reverse delay, and a looper. The looper is solid, and you get 4-seconds of play-time. That's enough for Jaco loops, but not quite enough for others. Also, the tremendous amount of give on the footswitch makes setting the timing a bit pissy. And the loop is quite digi-sounding, so it might get annoying fast.

Distortion? Well, my stance is famous, but there are different types to consider: fuzz, overdrive, and blending. Fuzz might sound cool in sound clips and in songs, but in the room with you, by itself, it has a strange sound. The fuzz is legit synthy sounding, and it's not for me. However, pedals like the Woolly Mammoth and the Bassweet are top notch if that fuzz is indeed your thing. Overdrive pedals are basically guitar-style distortions, but on bass, they have to cover the whole bloody range. The Big Muff, while considered fuzz, is really not that kind of fuzz. It's more like hair. It doesn't cover the whole spectrum. However, pedals like the Diesel Dawg and the Bass Drive trully do, and I endorse the Fulltone. I don't want to say those types of pedals are an aquired taste, but they aren't what I consider to be characteristically bass distortion. Blend pedals are. They mix your dirty signal with the clean to preserve low end. But there's a frequency overlap that I don't like, but some do. The ODB-3, Bass Driver, Blowtorch and Bass Juice are those kinds of pedals. They're the cheapest and the most expensive types of pedals. They tend to have a very different voicing from the overdrive pedals, and take on a different character as opposed to just pissing of your clean tone like overdrives do.

No idea about tremolos. But where are your flangers and chorii? For a good chorus pedal at a good price, the Digitech is hard to beat. However, it's a very icy, clear, and digital chorus. I like that, but it's not the swirlybird of a Small Clone. I don't know how the Small Clone works on bass, but the Clone Theory works fine. As far as Flangers go, Digitech's digital stuff totally preserves your bass. The Turbo Flanger has some great settings. There's your normal flanger settings, but they have this strange one that sounds like a wah-wah. Slow down the speed, and it's as if you're rocking your wah wah consistantly. I put my wah before the distortion and the flange after, so I get the flavour of 2 wah's, before and after.

I don't use a pedal-board. I use Planet Waves pedal connectors. They connect all your pedals in such a way that they're stiff. I use a Godlyke Powerall to power my 5-pedals.

Thats all I can think of at the top of my head. Feel free to ask questions.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
The Fitz has spoken!
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
Quote by fleajr_1412
thanks for that fitz

Not a problem. If you have any questions about other effects I've tried, feel free to PM or respond in this thread.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
Not a problem. If you have any questions about other effects I've tried, feel free to PM or respond in this thread.

do you know any good reverb pedals aswell?
Quote by skater dan0
envelope filter - I use the EH bassballs, and a DOD envelope filter, you should try a Qtron though.

Wah - I think you should get the Dunlop

compressor - Aphex

im thinking about the boss cs-3, but if you know of anything else let me know

delay - DD-3 or DD-6

Distortion - I use my MXR bass di + and I'd hope thefitz doesnt find this thread if I were you.

Trem - Guyatone make a cool vintage one, I like the EH one though.

pedal board - Make it yourself, it's easy and cheap, s'what I did
Quote by Demonikk
+1
I live by the method: 3 or less orange warning labels, and it's safe as a kitten

Quote by Charlatan_001
EDIT: Sammcl pretty much got it dead on.
Quote by fleajr_1412
do you know any good reverb pedals aswell?

I have never played with a reverb pedal per-se before. However, I'd not recommend a spring reverb, since every time you hit a note, you'll get that 'boing'. On guitar, with chords and such, you can mask it, but it gets pretty annoying on bass.

Keep in mind that reverb can really mud up your tone. I think it's a highly personal tone, BUT IMO I think reverb to guitar what chorus is to bass, and vice versa... if that makes any sense.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
If you have a lot of money, you could consider a EHX English Muff'n as an overdrive pedal.
Depending on how much gain/distortion you want to get out of it, you might need to change the tubes, but I fiddled around with it in store once, and it didnt lose any noticable amount of Bass.
Quote by sammcl-15
pedal board - Make it yourself, it's easy and cheap, s'what I did

how would i make my own?
Quote by skater dan0