Poll: Which do I buy? (Read the post first)
Poll Options
View poll results: Which do I buy? (Read the post first)
Bass Guitar
47 46%
Tenor Saxophone
56 54%
Voters: 103.
Page 1 of 2
Greetings, citizens of UG. I have reached quite a dilemma with my money. Right now, I am in the process of paying for my Bass Clarinet, and I want another instrument as well, but can only afford one of the two..so I need help deciding! Please, don't base this on what you would rather have, but base it on the pros and cons of me getting either.

Ibanez GSR200 Bass Guitar

Pros:
- Low price tag, ranging from $200 - $250 USD.
- Can be purchased in a single payment.
- Is something that I could learn fairly quickly, if I could remain dedicated to learning.
- It's an instrument that I could very easily continue to play after I'm done school.
- It would allow me to join a band with two friends who play guitar, and a girl who has said she would be willing to sing for us, and is currently in the process of recording an album of her own.
- I love the rhythm and bass sections in the music I listen to, and have always wanted to learn to play.

Cons:
- I have NOT played much Bass in the past, so I'm not currently very skilled at it.
- I lost interest in guitar, so there's a chance I would also lose interest in Bass.
- I would have to go into downtown Edmonton to find this model.
- I would have to buy a new amp, because the one I currently own wouldn't work.
- I would likely have to take lessons again.

Cannonball Stone Series Tenor Saxophone (Pictured is an Alto, but the only difference between the Tenor and Alto in appearance is the size, and curve of the neck).

Pros:
- I am already experienced on the Saxophone, and it would give me a high-quality instrument to play during Jazz band, as well as a secondary instrument for concert band.
- It is an instrument I enjoy to play.
- I have already tried this series. The tone is excellent, and it is the easiest to play Saxophone that I have EVER played.
- I could also continue to play this after high school.
- I can continue to learn Sax in school, I wouldn't need lessons, although they would greatly benefit.
- It looks pretty damn cool :P

Cons:
- HOLY **** the price tag! The price will range between $2000 - $2500 CAD
- I would NOT be able to afford this Saxophone in a single payment, I'd have to add another 45 month rent-to-own fee to my current existing fee on my Bass Clarinet.
- Quality reeds are about $20 per box for Tenors, that really adds up over time. Reeds have a short lifespan, so overall, these would end up costing more than bass strings.
- I'd have to buy another mouthpiece eventually, as the default mouthpieces on Saxophones are generally cheapish, a new one would cost in excess of $100.
- Maintenance fees would be extreme, and woodwinds require maintenance at LEAST twice a year.

Help me!
Yellowknife, Northwest Territories
I'm not sure but remember you will get biased opinions-being ultimate-GUITAR and all.

woop 500th post!
Quote by Aussie_skater
everyone listen to PLOP he knows the way of the forum samurai

Quote by Seth Shadows
^PLOP = Best, username, ever.

REVOCATION FTW! 9/9/9
From what you say saxophone because it would be money well spent if you enjoy playing it etc.

Also Saxophone kicks ass.
Quote by PLOP
I'm not sure but remember you will get biased opinions-being ultimate-GUITAR and all.

woop 500th post!

Pit doesn't count.
R E G G A E
If you already have a sax then buy the bass and learn a new instrument. Save up and buy the 2 grand sax with cash. Don't go into debt.... cuz i's a big mistake.
the sax seems like a better idea
but i voted bass because bass is da bomb
annnd errr.... because the price tag of the sax is a bit steep. best make yourself financially more stable first ^__^
Quote by SteveHouse
Also you're off topic. This thread is about Reva eating snowmen.
Quote by PLOP

woop 500th post!

thats what i was thinking
Jesus for president. PM me to join the campaign. or just sig it.

Of course God has a sense of humor. Look at the Platypus...

Member #9 of the Trumpet Players' Alliance, PM E V H 5150 to inquire about joining.
i'd go with the sax any day.
the quality of that bass isn't anything to write home about at all, and seeing as you lost interest in guitar, i think it's safe to assume playing the bass may have a similar effect on you. also, you'd need a bass amp like you said, and if you took it seriously, eventually, a new bass. With the sax, that thing will last you a long time. great quality and sound/looks very nice. however, i'd suggest you try to save up a bit more, or pay off the bass clarinet in full before investing in it.
Both very beutiful instruments. As the metalhead I am, I'd go with the bass.
But think you should go for the sax, it's a really cool instrument and well.. I don't know I just appreciate when people pick up more unusual instruments to play.. I guess I'll have to give you a +1!
i would say the sax if it werent for the price tag, and if you're going to spend that much, you might as well get both. and you dont
HAVE to ge lessons for bass, that might have been why you lost interest in guitar in the first place.
Quote by ratracekid111
And the Tax! Dear God! When I only get one virgin a month, I want the whole freakin' thing! The damn government shouldn't be chopping it in half
Go with the sax, man. Tenor sax sounds WICKED!
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Homemade Strat (seymour duncan classic stack p/ups)
Vox Tonelab (original desktop model) with full board footswitch
Vox AD50
I'd choose bass, cause I'm cheap.
Nanananananananananananana... BATMAN!
Bass Guitar would open you up to a new insturment, as well as a new type of musical environment. Namely one that would allow you to have a more direct input on what is played, as you would (assumably) be able to write your own songs (as a group or alone) or cover songs. Plus, it's alot less money, even with an amp. (And, seriously, if you have enough experience to play several other instruments, I don't really see how you would need to get bass lessons. Just pick up a copy of Bass Guitar for Dummies (No joke, it's one of the best "learn to play bass" books out there. I've lent my copy to everyone I've heard say "I'm going to learn bass" and even some people who play guitar.)

The sax is nice, but do you need it now, especially with that price tag? It seems like it would just be an upgrade of something you already have, and would just leave you where you are currently at, just with a better instrument.

So, yeah, I would go with the bass. Even if you don't get crazy, crazy into it, you'll be helping out your friends who want to start a band. (As bassists tend to be hard to find.)
i would go sax seeing as how you already know how to play it and bass would be too similar to guitar (in concept) price shouldn't matter if it's for something you enjoy
If you lost intrest in guitar, it doesnt spound like its really your thing, dont waste your money on summat you wont enjoy. Sax's are amazingly cool as well, if you get it right. Go for the sax.
D-U-F-R-A-I-S

Quote by darkstar2466
WRONG.

The only reason it exists is because drugs get people fucked up, and people love getting fucked up.

Ok man, Ive played Alto sax and baritone sax while i was in school myself, but I quit because I picked up guitar. For me it was that I was really into rock and metal music and all the badassness of it all, but I will say i had alot of fun playin the Sax. The decision breaker for me was what I would continue to play after Im all done with school. I chose guitar because I saw it as something that I can teach myself( no lessons here, you can learn guitar/bass with no lessons easy). I saw the Sax, even though it was fun to play, The main reason I enjoyed playin was that I was in a, hmmm lets say a band of about 50-60 others and the music when combined with others was pretty tight, but the only reason we sounded good was because we a had a physcho band instructor, so out of fear mainly I practiced lol.

so all in all, what im saying is that I chose the guitar because I saw it as something that I would continue to play the rest of my life., compared to the sax that may lose it attractiveness once you leave school and are no longer in the band. besides if you buy the bass now for 200-250 you may not like it as much, but it wont take a giant divot out of your wallet, and you should still be able to get the Sax.
Well, if you really want to get in the band with your friends then go for the bass since it will be cheaper than the sax (amp included). BUT since you lost interest for guitar fairly quickly the same might happen with the bass, but being in a band might help leep you motivated.

On the other hand, saxophones kick ass, and this one will probably last you a whole much longer than that bass and you might even have a little more fun with it.

It all depends on what music styles you prefer. But if you really wanna start a band I recommend you get the bass, then use whatever little money you make with the band to save up for the sax
Quote by Potato_Souffle
Bass Guitar would open you up to a new insturment, as well as a new type of musical environment. Namely one that would allow you to have a more direct input on what is played, as you would (assumably) be able to write your own songs (as a group or alone) or cover songs. Plus, it's alot less money, even with an amp. (And, seriously, if you have enough experience to play several other instruments, I don't really see how you would need to get bass lessons. Just pick up a copy of Bass Guitar for Dummies (No joke, it's one of the best "learn to play bass" books out there. I've lent my copy to everyone I've heard say "I'm going to learn bass" and even some people who play guitar.)

The sax is nice, but do you need it now, especially with that price tag? It seems like it would just be an upgrade of something you already have, and would just leave you where you are currently at, just with a better instrument.

So, yeah, I would go with the bass. Even if you don't get crazy, crazy into it, you'll be helping out your friends who want to start a band. (As bassists tend to be hard to find.)

You said everything I wanted to say.

Also, threadstarter, I think that being in a band will help you stay motivated with the bass. Jazz band probably is one of the reasons you stayed with the saxophone so well, and it would follow that a band with your friends would do the same for bass.
Last edited by Quintessence153 at Aug 14, 2007,
Sax man. All the way through. The world has enough rockers...
Give a chance to the Jazz
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Get the Sax, man. I'd have more respect for a Saxophonist than a Bassist (no offense Bassists).
Spiral Out
sax, seriously its much more complicated and it'll be fun. Guitar/bass are too dont get my wrong but the sax is much more...classical
Bass. Tenor sax is pretty cool, but the world needs more bass players.
Quote by StoopidRudeboy
Ohhhhh, you still ruined it for me now...... never mind. Your cool ill let it go.

Hmm...

closest thing I ever got to a compliment
get the bass, but if are gonna get a bass, get a better one
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Quote by fleajr_1412
get the bass, but if are gonna get a bass, get a better one

All I need for now is a beginner's bass, preferably in a cheap price range, that can still play without sounding like complete ****. That's what the Bass forum recommended with those guidelines. *shrugs*
Yellowknife, Northwest Territories
sax althuogh its expensive, itll defenitly open up your ears to listening to some other music. plus, thier fun to play, amazing in jazz. we have a tenor sax player who always does the coolest things with it

shred sax > bass but thats just me again

pros : you learn alot more theory ( even if your already learning bass clarnet)

cons : money

OR you can get the best of both worlds and get a bari sax =D
Quote by Sloopy
I'm not in a wheelchair, but I own one just for fun.
Quote by guitarspoon
*raises SUPER STRONG flame shield*

dude, get the Sax

bassists = failed guitarists

Yeah, I agree with the sax. But seriously, keep that holier then thou guitarist bull**** out of here. It takes just as much skill, if not more, and more endurance to play good bass as it does to play good guitar.
by any chance is your name neil? lol a guy in my music class sounds just like you
cept if this is really old this would make sense cause he just bought a bass guitar from another guy at school 2nd hand... he is saving for a sexy new sax
(lol say "sexy new sax" really fast it sounds like sexin u stacks)
Touch Me?
Quote by trem7
Sandrix, will you be my UG wife?
of course trem7!
~Female Member of UG Naked Club.~
Post a naked picture of yourself with your guitar to join.
go for the sax, dude.
Quote by steven seagull
There are no boring scales, just boring guitarists.

Quote by convictionless
dude calebrocker, that first song on your list almost made me cry
11/10
you win my good sir

^ My For Mom cover

Check out my MP3s!!
Page 1 of 2