hey guys, i have a question, my guitar has a floyd rose and i regularly go to drop c or whole step lower than standard tuning. and whenever i use the whammy bar one of the springs in the back flies off. i use gauge 12 strings. how do i fix this issue?
equipment:
Esp EC-1000
ibanez rg550
Peavey 5150 combo
Boss ML-2 Metal core pedal
DB-01 crybaby from hell

Quote by dubstar92
Tell the friend that due to an amp explosion you are now temporarily deaf and will judge her friend solely on looks.
are you pulling up or diving down? or both?
gear?
coming soon... parker fly mojo flame
ibanezes: rg350dx frankenstein * rg7620 7-string
fenders: telecaster plus * stratocaster plus

line 6: pod xt live * ax2 212
other: laney vh100r * mesa dual rectifier * monster cables
Stop doing it - Floyds and changing tunings don't go together. You might get away with dropping the E to D occasionally but switching between something as low as C and standard is bad for it. Just pick one tuning and keep it.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Stop doing it - Floyds and changing tunings don't go together. You might get away with dropping the E to D occasionally but switching between something as low as C and standard is bad for it. Just pick one tuning and keep it.

agreed. pick a tuning, and change guitars to change tunings.
gear?

It's a pain in the arse anyway, the retuning takes long enough without having to reset the strings (If you aren't levelling the bridge eatch time you re-tune then you're just asking for trouble). I'm guessing that you aren't, so when you drop to C the tension of the strings is so low that there's absolutely countering the springs. They'll compress all the way and therefore be very likely to fall off...you need tension in the springs to hold them in place.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
It's a pain in the arse anyway, the retuning takes long enough without having to reset the strings (If you aren't levelling the bridge eatch time you re-tune then you're just asking for trouble). I'm guessing that you aren't, so when you drop to C the tension of the strings is so low that there's absolutely countering the springs. They'll compress all the way and therefore be very likely to fall off...you need tension in the springs to hold them in place.

Hm, I sometimes drop 1/2 a step, mainly for playing SRV stuff and blues in general, and frankly - I can never be assed to level the bridge.

But dropping to C on an FR-equipped axe is... hm.

EDIT: fix'd a hueg error... Man, I cant write properly at this hour.
Quote by bakk
Hi,
I have been pickin' up some Arabic radio signal things. Every time I turn up my Amp, this crazy Imam starts messing up my chords.

Proud owner of a 1987 Kramer Baretta I w/ spider Guitart.
i did level the bridge for drop c playing and i did adjust the springs. i no how a floyd rose works. im jsut wondering why the springs come off when i paly with the bar i think maybe im jsut pulling up too much. wat do u guys think?
equipment:
Esp EC-1000
ibanez rg550
Peavey 5150 combo
Boss ML-2 Metal core pedal
DB-01 crybaby from hell

Quote by dubstar92
Tell the friend that due to an amp explosion you are now temporarily deaf and will judge her friend solely on looks.
Quote by kazra90
i did level the bridge for drop c playing and i did adjust the springs. i no how a floyd rose works. im jsut wondering why the springs come off when i paly with the bar i think maybe im jsut pulling up too much. wat do u guys think?

thank you for answering my original question... finally.

when you pull up, and your spring pops out, it means either the spring is not angled correctly or there's an odd tension on the springs. try tightening down the claw a bit more, bend the pointed end inward toward the springs a bit more, and the ring part of the spring, do the same (but only a hair). springs should never pop off. ever.
gear?