Im gonna get a laptop soon, and I just wanna research this really well beforehand; the first thing being whether Im gonna get a mac or windows based one.
Now (and I know this probably won't happen) I don't want fanboy based arguments.
"Vista stole everything from mac" wont put me off a mac; if it stole everything worthwhile off mac then mac has nothing Windows doesnt have does it?
The same with "Mac's never crash zomg 11!!etc,"

All I want is some arguments, backed up with FACT (linkable).
I already did a quick search and most poeople say go with MBPro rather than just a plain old MacBook. They start at €1900, while for €1300 I can get a dell with 2gig ram, vista ultimate, 200gig hdd etc, so price is against mac IMHO.

OK pit, away you go!
I'm so unique I don't even have a sig.
It all depends what you want to do.

Apple is and always will be better for dealing with video and multimedia, its nice and simple but not much room for games.

Windows has a thousand times as many games, better tech support but it is more complex. It has better utilities for writing, slideshows and the like and the internet is supported better.
The only things we hate are those things we try to hide from others.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Quote by Carmel
Either way, I don't think bananas should be placed in such proximity to an ass

I disagree. Bananas and ass are like peaches and cream.
If you can, get one with xp. Much more reliable than either of the two.
Otherwise get the vista, if it's for school/gaming, or mac for artsy/music stuff.
Sorry, this isn't helpful, but I laughed so hard at the "I beg of you".
There is poetry in despair.
If you wait until October when leopard comes out on mac you can run both mac and windows on the same computer so you have the best of both.
Musicman Sub Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
Yorkville XM-100
I have Vista on my laptop at home and OS X on the Mac I use at work, and I have to say Vista is much better. Whenever you stick your cursor down the bottom of the screen to use the bottom scroll bar, or click something, the bastarding menu pops up and then you have to spend the next 20 seconds closing down the thing you opened by accident.

Though of course, if you can, get XP. Vista is significantly slower if you want to play games (for example, Counterstrike: Source slows down a heck of a lot).
Rob Schneider is... Da Derp Dee Derp Da Teetley Derpee Derpee Dumb! Rated PG-13.
Quote by AvengedThrice
True that. True that.
Methinks you pwned the thread dude.

Member number 8 of THE OFFICIAL UG TRANSFORMERS CLUB
Starscream
p.m. D. Rice to get number/ranking
get a dell preloaded with linux

sorry

but if you have to choose between the 2, get a mac. vista is quite terrible from what ive heard/seen. but i own neither.
Quote by Dimebag22
This might just be the smartest guy in The Pit. I didn't believe Ethan when he told me there were smart people in The Pit But I was wrong.

yeah, thats me

member 42 of the Iron Maiden are gods club. PM revelations to join
Quote by denizenz

Aah, one of my favourite madd0x articles

"Stupid user base aside, I will never own a Mac. It's not so much that I'm a PC loyalist. I'm not. It's that I'm not stylish enough to own one. Most iPod commercials feature guys with long hair, chicks roller skating, and guys wearing fedoras. I have dandruff, and I buy most of my jeans from a grocery store. I feel like in order to have a Mac, I need to be:

# An artist.
# In a band.
# Unemployed (see above). "

As for actually selecting one of those I don't know; vista is a bit tough on the computer and not very compatible with programs like XP was (or became).
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
+1 For Leopard
It solves all your problems. The MBP's are amazing. They run really well, the screens are fantastic and osx is great. BUT as others have said, mac tends to be a little more over to the arty side of things and windows to the gaming etc. If you get leopard with your mac you can run windows and osx together. Its really simple and works really well. So if you wanna make a movie or summin, or maybe surf the web without the worry of excessive viruses/spyware etc you can use osx and if you wanna game or use a windows program just load into vista. Bootcamp all the way!
Quote by Metal_Injection
I got my first Orange today!!!! Its a Orange crush 15 watt with reverb, just a practice amp!! let me join!!!!

Quote by slatsmania
You can, but you have to sit at the kids' table for dinner.

Gibson LP + Orange Rocker 30
XP

**** vista, Its not yet worth it. Macs are only useful if you actually need a Mac, everything else a PC can do.
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
Get Vista. I have it and have had it since the February. It's great; hasn't crashed once, and everything so far is compatible (except for some antiviruses).

**** Mac.
It seems like alll the fanboys are yelling about how crap vista is, however noone who has it and/or uses it regularly dislikes it.
I'm goin on holidays soon and some of my friends over there use macs so I'll see if they're any good then. However I'm a homegrown windows boy (I could connect up a pc, monitor etc and install 'The Magic School Bus' game when I was 6) so it will need some convincin'
I'm so unique I don't even have a sig.
reciently i found myself asking which i should get too. I have decided a macbook was best for me.

Id wait for the new Mac Os to come out... I like XP and have a gateway laptop with XP on it but I won't go on to get a new one with Vista... I will get the macbook pro 17" with the new OS next... its just better
I rock, and therefore, I am.
Quote by purplegreendave
It seems like alll the fanboys are yelling about how crap vista is, however noone who has it and/or uses it regularly dislikes it.
I'm goin on holidays soon and some of my friends over there use macs so I'll see if they're any good then. However I'm a homegrown windows boy (I could connect up a pc, monitor etc and install 'The Magic School Bus' game when I was 6) so it will need some convincin'

disagree... im not a fanboy of macs, i use them as much as I use my home pc... i use vista on my brothers computer all the time and compaired to XP on myo laptop... XP is 100xs better... vista trys to hard to impress u, features get annoying, and yes is had crashed on me...
I rock, and therefore, I am.
Quote by purplegreendave
"Vista stole everything from mac" wont put me off a mac; if it stole everything worthwhile off mac then mac has nothing Windows doesnt have does it?

Hmm, think about how you wrote this, you wrote the latter part as though the former part says "Mac stole everything from Vista". To be honest, if Vista stole everything off a mac (which people say they did) then I'd be more enticed by the Vista.
Quote by purplegreendave
I have never ever got a virus and I use either winME or win98 :O

you have, you just havent realised it yet
personally i would go with a mac. my family has always had macs and ive grown up around them. i just find the user interface easier and more efficient than a pc.

IMO
Even though I have Vista on two computers and don't have any real problems with it, I recommend you to get a Macbook instead.

This is because Vista is a resource hogging bitch. While it may run fine on desktop PCs because desktops can have powerful components, it will run a bit choppy on laptops unless you get one with specs that costs about the same as a macbook. So unless you are a gamer, I recommend Macbook.

Alternatively, you can get XP instead. This way you can get a laptop with relatively cheap specs and still run with optimal performance.
i say get the macbook, its a great piece of hardware, and you can run windows on it anyway, so its win win
for recording, multimedia, user-friendlyness, a mac. for gaming, spreadsheats, and word processing, vista. the choice is yours depending on wat you want to do.
sup?
You don't have to wait for Leopard to come out. I'm running OS X and XP on my macbook now using parallels. You can also use the boot camp beta but with that you have to choose which os you want to use during boot. I do support so I naturally hate windows and my experiences with vista so far haven't been any more encouraging. It might be decent after a couple years of patches and service packs though. Go with Mac. Any important software is written for both and within a year it won't matter anyways.
My Stuff:
Schecter S-1 Elite with EMG 81 & 85
Dean Hardtail Select
Marshall MG50DFX
Boss DS-1

A child's rhyme stuck in my head says life is but a dream
Quote by SuPaGrAm
It all depends what you want to do.

Apple is and always will be better for dealing with video and multimedia, its nice and simple but not much room for games.

Windows has a thousand times as many games, better tech support but it is more complex. It has better utilities for writing, slideshows and the like and the internet is supported better.
Most people don't buy laptops to be gaming systems.

In fact, unless you're using your laptop for audio recording (meaning all you need to do is surf the 'net, check e-mail, write up documents for school / work etc.) then it really doesn't matter if you use Mac, Windows, Linux or anything else.

The only thing that might be a selling point is security against viruses etc. In which case I'd recommend Linux (http://www.ubuntu.com).
Quote by purplegreendave
That's because most people who don't like Vista went back to XP.

I know lots of XP users who didn't like Vista. The biggest reason seems to be the ridiculous hardware requirements.
If you plan on doing recording and mastering, get a mac. If you want to play video games, get vista.

I have Vista, I think it's fine. The downside is it needs a **** load of RAM.
Quote by BeefWellington

what's the point in being "philiosophical"?

Interesting question...
Vista is a blatant copy off of OSX, and m$oft did a terrible job making it, lots of flaws, slow, etc
id personally go with a pc if ur an average computer user, (i would love a mac but too pricey), BUT!!!! i would WAIT!!!!! until they release a newer version (service pack 2) so that all the kinks are ironed out