Poll: MUSIC CAREER? YAY OR NAY?
Poll Options
View poll results: MUSIC CAREER? YAY OR NAY?
Yes
90 65%
No
49 35%
Voters: 139.
Page 1 of 2
Who here intends to have a career in music, meaning your only source of money would be from a music realated job. If so what would you be doing?
Quote by Metal claw
I only ever do it whenever I get a new toothbrush. I just stuck the old one up my ass then threw it away when I was done.

98% of teens have been around or have had alcohol. Put this in your sig if you like bagels.
I'm kind of thinking about it, my friends invited me to be in their band. So I guess my source of money would be coming from gigs.
Hm...one day I'd like to think so, but at the moment, I'm stuick with a simple 9am-12 to pay for my stuff and leave the days to band practise, but nights for gigging every 3-4 days.
I very much intend to. I'm studying music full time at university.

I'm hoping to keep my options open, obviously I'd love to make it with my band but you can't put all your eggs in one basket.
I'm hoping to get a bit of private tuition on the go, also get my functions band regularly gigging. On top of that there's sound teching, recording (I've got a home studio) and session work.

I'm just hoping to do a bit of everything and make a living out of all of them. Easy.
Been there. Done that. Not going back. Death by slow starvation holds no appeal for me.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
I'd love to, but not the easiest thing to do in the world, and I'm not one to take risks.
I hope to be a music/guitar teacher of some kind. It's the only job that looks attractive to me at all.
I'm a communist. Really.
I do, but I don't intend to be some famous musician like John Williams. Perhaps a music instructor. I know music insturctors making $50+ an hour.
If i somehow make it playing my guitar, then musician.

I plan on going to a music college once I'm out of high school and maybe learning to be a producer or something.
Quote by heavyairship
dying hurts

empty sig
Quote by The Madcap
I do, but I don't intend to be some famous musician like John Williams. Perhaps a music instructor. I know music insturctors making $50+ an hour.

Although I know who John Williams is, couldn't you have picked someone a little more famous than him for an example?
Quote by Tom Martin
I'm studying music full time at university.

ur music sounds like it...very good recording quality too =D

im thinking about it. i think that anytime you learn an instrument, that option comes open.
Quote by Jackal58
Been there. Done that. Not going back. Death by slow starvation holds no appeal for me.

+1, not like ive been there or done that, but that is exactly my interpretation of attempting to get a musical career. It seems to me that there is too much to lose over something where your chances at suceeding are extremely low.
very frustrated guitar player

член в русской группе UG! PM Vindiction to join!

And the worst comeback in the history of UG is:
Quote by ketchup_cum
your moms an is

I want ot be a luthier, work with t3h w00dz.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
Does teaching music/ composing music count? If I can't do it as a musician, I'll most likely do those. And by teacher, I mean like a band director at a school.

EDIT: I'd still be in a band, as a second income source in addition to teaching...
Peavey HP Signature EXP (SH4 JB/ SH2 Jazz)
Jackson DK2M
Fender MIM Stratocaster HSS
Fender MiM Telecaster

EVH 5150 III w/ EVH 2x12 cab
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60
Fender Blues Jr.

Boss ME-50; NS-2; RV-5; BF-3
MXR M101 Phase 90
I gave up full time music for electrical engineering. But my dream job would be selling tube amps that I've made... I've got some good ideas hidden under my hat.

I really think that they're too many kids out there thinking they're gonna be "it". I can't believe how many kids are going to school for just music these days... Not everyone can be a band director, and in fact, there aren't many openings in that field already...
Agile AL-3100 (highly recommended)
SX SST57 strat copy
OE30 Hollowbody
SX fretless bass
Epiphone PR-200 acoustic
Yamaha G-40 classical
Epiphone Valve Junior head
1x12 custom cab
4x12 Behringer Half-stack

My Solo Stuff

My Band

just for the record, the majority of sessions musicians have other non-music jobs. there are really very few who can make it as jsut a musician, its guys like steve jordan, steve gadd, and victor wooten. you have to be at the top of your game.
oh yeah, and im a music performance major haha, so yeah, im hoping to be a session musicaian haha
I'd love to work with music, however... I'm not expecting it.

But I'll give it a shot sometime.
I plan on scoring films, but preferably not hollywood movies, since I'd like to stay in Canada or move to Europe. I'd also do a solo artist thing, plus a band to gig with if I can find one.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
Professional French Hornist, flame away but im already gettting college scholarships for it. (Im going to be a sophmore)
read job
Quote by bombiuxfizz
Professional French Hornist, flame away but im already gettting college scholarships for it. (Im going to be a sophmore)

no flaming from me, thats great, the french horn is an incredibly difficult instrument to play, and when someone knows how to play it, it is a beautiful instrument
Quote by chea_man
just for the record, the majority of sessions musicians have other non-music jobs. there are really very few who can make it as jsut a musician, its guys like steve jordan, steve gadd, and victor wooten. you have to be at the top of your game.
oh yeah, and im a music performance major haha, so yeah, im hoping to be a session musicaian haha

And not only that, nowadays it's an almost impossible industry to get into. Most producers out there already have their go-to musicians so it's difficult to get them to employ unknowns. You've got to spend ages working for free and making a name for yourself before you can even think about making a living from it.
my dad did it. It was **** for about twenty years...lol, no money...

Now he teaches, and he recently wrote a degree and stuff so now everthings ok
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
Quote by meh!
my dad did it. It was **** for about twenty years...lol, no money...

Now he teaches, and he recently wrote a degree and stuff so now everthings ok

Well my dad is bigger than your dad.
Quote by Jackal58

My dad would pull that on me all the time...I'm starting to believe it.

I just feel like pursuing it more as an on the side thing.
I'd like to think so.

I'd like to be a music producer and sound engineer so i could have a studio for my musical endeavors. and if a band doesnt work out, i want to go to college and study music as well.
Quote by MoogleRancha
It's like Fenriz and J. Read

"I'm so happy to love metal and stuff"

"I AM metal"
Well i'm planning on getting my band big....
But i'm also studying medicine as a backup... (all my friends go crazy when i say i'm studying medicine just as a back up for if my music career doesn't work out!!, they're like "thats the lamest excuse i've ever herd from someone for studying medicine!!")

And then i'ld also be doing some business which might or might not work. Always wanted to open a really exotic hotel... and a car customs and performance garage...
Will hopefully do that someday...

So i voted 'no' cuz music will not be the only source of income. At one point in life it might be... but not for long... I can't count of my music career, if it goes down, i'll get seriously screwed!!

But if the music career works out, that'll be my main source of income for a while until i start doing these other crazy things....
Nah. I don't have any actual talent, and I really only still play because i'm sometimes very stubborn.
Quote by MightyAl
Nah. I don't have any actual talent, and I really only still play because i'm sometimes very stubborn.

XD

I am planning on having music as my only source of income. Either playing with my band or doing sound engineering.
Quote by Keef-is-king
Seinfeld: The Video Game

It'd be a game about nothing. But it would be fantastic, better than the Sims by far because there would be more jews.
may get in a band for fun / light gigging, but i plan on going to college and go into civil or mechanical engineering as a career
Well, I REALLY want to be a fire fighter, and I also know that fire fighters only work 10 days every month with great benefits. That's enough free time to pursue a music career on the side.
"The rule of law -- it must be held high! And if it falls you pick it up and hold it even higher!" - Hercule Poirot

© Soul Power
Page 1 of 2