Page 1 of 2
I feel like I'm in the minority here, at least, compaired to most other guitarists I know. Personally, I don't like to use effects much. Sure I loves me some distortion/overdrive/fuzz, but that's really the only effect I tend to use often and the only one I really spend much time messing around with (finding a good tone, ect). I've actually got 4 different distortion/overdrive/fuzz pedals just so I can have so many different forms of it. I barely ever use any other effect. Octave shifting is fun for solos once in a while, and tremelo and reverb have there uses, but I don't remember using any effects other that these in the last year or two. I've never had a desire to own a delay pedal or a chorus pedal or even a wah pedal. It's basically clean or distorted for me. A lot of my friends who play guitar seem to be addicted to pedals. When they come over to my house to jam, they bring a huge mess of boxes and cords that it takes them forever to set up and, while they get some cool sounds, they mess around with the pedals a lot, always tweaking them the tiniest bit. For myself, it seems like I'm never satisfied with a certain effect and I end up spending more time hopelessly turning knobs than playing. Some of my friends even think I'm weird not to like a lot of effects due to the fact that I like playing experimental/progressive music. I personally feel like a totally clean tone can be just as effective now days with all of the effects out there. Anyone else feel this way? Is there anyone here that feels opposite?
Straight into the head with a touch of reverb, there's plenty of cool sounds you can make with your hands.
Quote by zackk
seriously though, listen to DaliLama.
Quote by Arthur Curry
My spidey sense tells me some mothafuckas are gonna be BANNED.
guitar ---> head

I have an ME50 multi effects and some OD's along with a wah, but I haven't used them in months.
I'm like that too. I mess around with flange, delay, ya-ya, etc, but I only use Reverb and occasionally chorus when I'm recording.
i have a flextone which has tons of effects built in and i mainly use only reverb....other than that i only play with the other effects a little....so no ur not alone
-Gear-
Agile 2000
Hand Built Telecaster
Fernandes Acoustic/Electric
Line 6 Flextone 2 with Eminence Red Coat The Wizard Speaker
Roland Cube 15 (Practice Amp)
Cry Baby Wah
Hand Built Overdrive Box (From Ts-808 Schematic)
Hand Built Preamp Box
the only effect i ever use is the reverb on my amp otherwise i just plug straight into my amp and play, i dunno why i have just never really been into using any effects
Ibanez RG4EXQM1
XBL Gamertag: XzXPatrickXzX
The System HAS Failed
Quote by tommyp484
"RUSSELL! WHAT THE F*CK!!!!"
Guitar -> Wah -> Amp

I rely on the dirty channel for my overdrive...mmmm creamy fender overdrive.
Gear
2002 Ibanez RGT42
Marshall AVT150h + JCM900
Buncha pedals
I own no pedals and don't plan on buying any.

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
huh.
i thought I used only used a little amount of effects

Guitar w/killswitch(i consider that an effect) > Wah > Delay > Distortion > Amp w/ Reverb and Chorus

i guess i use a lot compared to you guys

not extensively, but i like to dick around with them
Quote by kevin14u2nv
heck yeah its gonna be heavy its gonna be in Drop A tuning and the opening line of the CD will be like Worship god

and then the pope just does a freakin brutal breakdown
I don't use any effects aside from the reverb on my amp, although I want a wah pedal. I have a chorus that I never use and a mediocre distortion that I stopped using a long time ago. I dunno, I'd rather just plug in and play.
The only pedal I have is a cheap Behringer AM-100 (acoustic thingy) and that's all I need really. Possibly a wah pedal though...

Quote by KileManA7X
I remember my first erection. I went to my dad and was like "Do I have Aids???". I seriously thought there was something wrong with me.

Your friends sound like someone i know. He has delay, chorus, 2 distortions,flanger, acoustic simulator (???), wah, overdrive sitting in his room cause i dont think he knows how to use it. And im forgeting 1 or 2 more.

I have a wah cause my friend gave it to me as a gift but i haven used it for over a year.The only pedal i would use (and im still deciding) is a maxon 808 just to boost a lil, a Noise reducer and a Compressor which are not "effects".

Effects users why do you like them so much? Maybe it is US that dont get it.
I have a wah, but rarely use it...if I do use any effects its the chorus on my amp. I would like to get a nice chorus pedal though.
Gear
Electric
Jackson JS30RR (EMG 81/85)
Jackson WRMG (SD SH-6 B/N)
Hohner Scorpion ST (Project guitar)

Acoustic
Ovation CC 057

Amp
Marshall Valvestate 2000 AVT100 1x12

Effects
Boss CH-1
Crybaby 535Q
ISP Decimator
i do not own a single effects pedal, and i dont plan to. in my opinion, effects are used to cover up sloppy playing, or to make bad playing more interesting.
I just have a distortion pedal and a wah, but I never use the distortion pedal. I rarely use the wah either.
I use my Boss RV3 a lot these days, to get a kind of "outer-space" tone, as people have called it. Otherwise, I just use my overdrive (boss SD-1 or OD-3, depending on what I want it for)
Quote by cheames
i do not own a single effects pedal, and i dont plan to. in my opinion, effects are used to cover up sloppy playing, or to make bad playing more interesting.

And that's the kind of attitude that I hate.

Effects are interesting, they're fun, they make stuff sound cool. As long as you don't overuse them then they're a great way to get more sounds.

I use effects and I'm good. Distortion and reverb will cover up more mistakes than chorus, wah or phaser.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
my pedal board right now is two/three dirtboxes and two delays, so i guess i'm pretty similar. i'm just not all that into modulation, i think a lot of it sounds cheesy. i'm looking for a nice phaser though, and i'm always keen for interesting little effects, and i'm planning on picking up a verbzilla too cos theres lots of fun to be had with those things.

basically, i think dirt and delay is all i really need. you can get so many amazing, unusual sounds out of just those; in fact, i played a gig a while back with just one dirtbox and one delay, and a few people i spoke to were pretty surprised how many crazy sounds i got out of just those, but its doable. just needs some thought and experimentation and awesome stuff results.

having said all this, its probably just that i'm not so great with lots of effects, cos theyre great things and i'd advise everyone to experiment with them lots, but i find i dont always like too many unusual tones.
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.
have to disagree with saying effects cover up sloppy playing...effects can be used in a way to make each song you write sound unique onto itself...if you use the same effects all the time your music will start to sound the same as well.

I went a long time not using effects however now i see the use in them...its to make each project you work on to sound different if used properly.

Having said that im happy not using effects and just strumming an acoustic.

Jimmy Page used effects to try and make each song sound different.
Go to this page to hear my original song recordings

Click Here
Quote by timi_hendrix

Effects are interesting, they're fun, they make stuff sound cool. As long as you don't overuse them then they're a great way to get more sounds.

I use effects and I'm good. Distortion and reverb will cover up more mistakes than chorus, wah or phaser.

reverb? pah. reverb sucks. whate ever happened to having a super tight, clear sound? even the subtlest of effects take away from that.

i play with the distortion from my amp, with a flat EQ, so its as clear as possible, if im making mistakes, i want to be able to hear them. a lot of my time is spent practising leads, with a totally clean sound.

if you use effects tastefully, then all power to you, its people who have reverb, chorus, and other **** just on their tone that i hate. if you cant control yourself, dont get effects.

people who base their entire sound on effects dont deserve a guitar.
Quote by cheames
reverb? pah. reverb sucks. whate ever happened to having a super tight, clear sound? even the subtlest of effects take away from that.

i play with the distortion from my amp, with a flat EQ, so its as clear as possible, if im making mistakes, i want to be able to hear them. a lot of my time is spent practising leads, with a totally clean sound.

if you use effects tastefully, then all power to you, its people who have reverb, chorus, and other **** just on their tone that i hate. if you cant control yourself, dont get effects.

people who base their entire sound on effects dont deserve a guitar.

reverb sucks? haha. And subtle chorus effects are great. If they're really subtle, you only notice the difference when they're not there. Flat EQs? pah... you can always improve on flat EQs, it just takes a lot of time to get a really great setting
Quote by timi_hendrix

i agree with what youre saying, heaps of effects are not necessarily bad but personally theyre definately not my thing
I only use a Wah and an old Ibanez Tube Screamer and that's it. I hate effects pedals. I just let the amp do all the tone work.
DALAI LAMA OF ZEPPELINISM

Quote by Kartman

I look up to you now. I'm serious, I have more respect for you than most Ugers!
Quote by National_Anthem
reverb sucks? haha. And subtle chorus effects are great. If they're really subtle, you only notice the difference when they're not there. Flat EQs? pah... you can always improve on flat EQs, it just takes a lot of time to get a really great setting

well not entirely flat. but i play metal, and i dont scoop the mids.
if you heard the tone that i get from my engl, you wouldn't think that a flat-ish EQ was so bad.

it just makes you sound like a tinny little bitch imo.

and yes, reverb sucks.
I love creating new sounds so I use quite a few. I get a nice shimmering, glassy sound using a ring modulator and a pitchshifter up two octaves. Great for soundscapes and anything dream pop.
I use my OD quite alot live and I occasionally use my flanger...asides from that nothing. Quite a minimal setup, methinks.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
delay, reverd, and OD. thats really all i use. and i rarely use reverb since its easy to get caught up in your own sound with it.
I currently only use an overdrive/distortion pedal, and a chorus pedal (plus a litte bit of reverb from my amp.)

All I really want at this point is a volume pedal and maybe a distortion pedal that's just a little dirtier.
I use distortion and reverb from the amp, but that's pretty much all. I do have a wah and a chorus but I rarely use them. For the most part it's just guitar to amp.
i find that i cant live without chorus, but otherwise its just my fuzz...
im in to prog rock, and that chorus really brings out the odditys of my playing...
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
yea, i have a small desire for a good wah pedal, i have rly crappy one built into my control pedal for my line 6, and even tho i got my line 6 for the effects, i rly stick to jsut cleans and distortedness. i mean, despite wat everyone says, if u sit down and learn how to use a spier III amp, u can get a crap load of different tones and sounds with jsut clean and distortion, so why mess with effects?
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
I use pretty much no effects except for a small dab of reverb and wah every once in a while.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
I don't actually use a lot effects, but I think you can get pretty nice stuff with them
there is on thing to keep in mind when you compose a song, turn them all off
a riff has to sound good without all those effects first, and then if you see that with some effects it sounds better then its okay
I just have a ME-50 that I use. That's it. And you should probaly think about getting a chorus, it really adds alot of feeling to the guitar.
I actually do have schizophrenia, so stop making fun of people who have it.

GEAR:
Boss ME-50
Silvertone Paul Stanley Apocalypse (modded)
Squier Affinity Strat (modded)
Italia Modulo 2
Fender Front 15G
Page 1 of 2