I have played a Peavey JSX, and I loved it.

And I know it is based partially on the XXX...But I have never played one.

I was just wondering if anybody knew how these two amps compare to one another.

Like if the channels sound nearly the same, and that sort of thing.

Thanks for the input.
JSX.

no question. it has a much better clean and in my opinion has a much more organic, less processed tone.
jsx
/thread
Quote by screamingfool34
people here are idiot.
Quote by Mr_H_MASTER
the only good wahs out there are Slashs, Zacks, and Dimebags.
Quote by evan1234567
im to tired and confused to comprehend what you said.
can't you try both?
CLICK ME

Quote by lrc95

hi, i was just wondering how to post a thread?

Quote by AS I LAY DYING!
and USD is equal to how much in US dollars?

Quote by Armchair Bronco
Everyone must own a DS-1 at some point in their playing career.

^^idiots

Joe liked the XXX's drive channels, so he asked or some of that in the JSX.

In his words "The XXX goes in one direction, but the JSX goes that way, further, and back"

The JSX can do what the XXX can do, but the XXX can't do everything the JSX can do.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
The JSX has much nicer cleans and around the same gain, maybe a bit less. It's extremely versatile.

If I had the choose between the two, I'd take the JSX in a heartbeat.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
The XXX has over the top gain. Very thrashy.
Quote by Spl!nTeRgu!tAr
im getting the C-1 Hellraiser Baritone and replacing the EMG 81 with my Zakk Wylde EMG 81

****in great dude
Quote by joining_heads
The XXX has over the top gain. Very thrashy.

The JSX has just as much.
-----

Even though the JSX excels in clean quality, i prefer the XXX due to lower price. I would only use the hi gain for most of my stuff, so I dont mind the lesser cleans. Getting the JSX over the XXX is kind of a waste to me if I won't ever use the extra things the JSX has to offer.
Member of UG Gain whores.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
The JSX has just as much gain as the XXX, but the distortion sounds a lot more natural on the JSX.
plus it's wayyy more versatile, nicer cleans. It's ten times the amp that the XXX is, IMO.
ESP EC-400 AT Goldtop
Fender 62 Jazzmaster
Fender Mexican HSS Strat
Fender 60's Reissue Strat
Peavey JSX Halfstack

**Member #10 of the PEAVEY IS AMAZING club!**
the jsx is an amp even I, who only plays blues and blues rock, can enjoy
i tryed them both side by side at guitar center yesturday, the jsx has a much better clean channel, and better sounding distortion, another plus was that the jsx is known for sounding great even at the lowest playing volumes which is true, it also has a built in noise surpressor, so id either go used jsx or spend the extra couple hundred on a new one, dont get the xxx, its generic sounding.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey XXX 60 watt combo
Ibanez TS9 Tubescreamer

Quote by Twist of fate
You're not racist, only black people are.

Quote by clincher09
Ah yes, you have a condition that many guys live with and are affected by everyday. It's called a penis.
I would personally advise you to go with neither. I have played both, one of the JSX's I have played is actually one of Satch's from tour, which he donated to my college after. I found that the clean tone was alright, nothing special going on there. It was a bit flat and didn't really have the definition that you'd get from a Fender or an Orange for example. The cruch channel was it's best channel, it had a pretty good sound to it but wasn't as defined as you'd expect from a £1,200 tube amp. The Ultra channel was awful, producing a very thin sound... didn't cut through at all - I would never use this... end of. If I wanted a lead channel I'd use a booster or an extra distortion pedal over the Crunch.

Basically the JSX (and the XXX) didn't sound like a valve amp to me. It sounded like an expensive solid state - it would be very good for bedroom use, as it's got plenty of tweakability and three easily accessible channels... but I would never use it live or for recording.

Another thing I forgot to mention is how quiet the JSX is. We did an experiment once, where we turned up a Marshall JCM2000 (100 watt) up as loud as we could take it (we were in a smallish room). We managed to get it up to around 4-5 before we stopped. We then tried the JSX and got it up to full volume, both master and channel and it was still bearable. For a 120 Watt valve amp, it's just incomparably quiet.
Last edited by Tom Martin at Aug 20, 2007,
Quote by Tom Martin
I would personally advise you to go with neither. I have played both, one of the JSX's I have played is actually one of Satch's from tour, which he donated to my college after. I found that the clean tone was alright, nothing special going on there. It was a bit flat and didn't really have the definition that you'd get from a Fender or an Orange for example. The cruch channel was it's best channel, it had a pretty good sound to it but wasn't as defined as you'd expect from a £1,200 tube amp. The Ultra channel was awful, producing a very thin sound... didn't cut through at all - I would never use this... end of. If I wanted a lead channel I'd use a booster or an extra distortion pedal over the Crunch.

Basically the JSX (and the XXX) didn't sound like a valve amp to me. It sounded like an expensive solid state - it would be very good for bedroom use, as it's got plenty of tweakability and three easily accessible channels... but I would never use it live or for recording.

Another thing I forgot to mention is how quiet the JSX is. We did an experiment once, where we turned up a Marshall JCM2000 (100 watt) up as loud as we could take it (we were in a smallish room). We managed to get it up to around 4-5 before we stopped. We then tried the JSX and got it up to full volume, both master and channel and it was still bearable. For a 120 Watt valve amp, it's just incomparably quiet.

That's the fallacy right there. It costs too much overseas, where here, it's almost half price.

Did you use the combo or the head? and if it's the head, what speakers did you use? What tubes were in the JSX? EL34's? 6L6's? Those play apart in how "big" the amp sounds.

In all honesty, maybe you got an old, busted up one, you know? it's a possibility. My JSX sounds nothing like what you described.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Last edited by Reincaster at Aug 20, 2007,
Quote by Reincaster
That's the fallacy right there. It costs too much overseas, where here, it's almost half price.

Did you use the combo or the head? and if it's the head, what speakers did you use? What tubes were in the JSX? EL34's? 6L6's? Those play apart in how "big" the amp sounds.

In all honesty, maybe you got an old, busted up one, you know? it's a possibility. My JSX sounds nothing like what you described.

Like I said, the one I played was one that Satch himself had donated to my Uni. Only played for one tour too, so wasn't de-funked yet. It was the head by the by.
And the speakers were through a good quality 4x12. I forget the make but it was a good one. The other cab we tried it through was the XXX Cab - which you'd expect to go hand in hand sound wise.

I've played a XXX too and I thought it was awful, same goes with all my comments about the JSX but twice as bad for the XXX. And it's not that I have anything about Peavey, it's just these amps really didn't do it for me.
Quote by Tom Martin
Like I said, the one I played was one that Satch himself had donated to my Uni. Only played for one tour too, so wasn't de-funked yet. It was the head by the by.
And the speakers were through a good quality 4x12. I forget the make but it was a good one. The other cab we tried it through was the XXX Cab - which you'd expect to go hand in hand sound wise.

I've played a XXX too and I thought it was awful, same goes with all my comments about the JSX but twice as bad for the XXX. And it's not that I have anything about Peavey, it's just these amps really didn't do it for me.

Again, maybe he gave you one that has been abused a bit. With the backing the peavey has given him, it's not like he's ultra careful about making sure his roadies treat it right, it's not the only amp he uses in the studio.

Also, peavey's speakers are probably the worst out there.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

jsx has the cleans of a twin reverb, the crunch of a jcm and the high gain tone of the XXX

IMO the jsx is amazing, i played it once, and it's an excellent amp