My friend offered to sell me his Epiphone Dot for $350, with a hard case. I was just wondering whether that's worth it or not. I just bought a $1500 American Deluxe Telecaster, so if the retail price of the Dot isn't much higher, I might wait... although I do want a semi-hollow. I forget how much he paid and I don't know the specifics of the model, but in general:
A - is that a good price?
B - is the Dot a good guitar? (I'm used to some fairly good quality, as I've been playing an Ibanez SZ520 for the psat couple years and recently bought that Fender).

(Note: He recently bought it and only played it like 3 or 4 times, so it's in like-new condition.)
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
I would suggest getting a Michael Kelly Vibe if you want a semi-hollow in that price range.
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
they're nice, but a Fender tele'll kick their arse for the same type of music.
Epiphone Dot-335
Fender USA Tele
'82 30th anniversary Les Paul goldtop
1965 pre-CBS Fender Jaguar

Crybaby
TS-9
turbo rat
Ge-7
+many more

Fender Twin Reverb
King's Full-tube 100 watt half stack. - £300
Quote by Hdap101
they're nice, but a Fender tele'll kick their arse for the same type of music.

Well it depends what kind of tone you like; semi-hollows with humbuckers and teles are pretty far from eachother on the tone spectrum.
Quote by utsapp89
I'd say a Dot is a good guitar, but I got mine for a bit less. Epiphone can make some good stuff surprisingly.

But in comparison to an American Tele...
Quote by FacingUsAll
Well it depends what kind of tone you like; semi-hollows with humbuckers and teles are pretty far from eachother on the tone spectrum.

True but, I've played my mate's tele a lot, and it just frankly is a nicer tone...for what both guitars are for. it's quite different but you can see what both are striving for, and the tele sounds better.
Epiphone Dot-335
Fender USA Tele

Crybaby
TS-9
turbo rat
Ge-7
+many more

Fender Twin Reverb
Well it is by no means a replacement for my Telecaster.. although when I was looking at a new guitar (when I bought the Tele) I was seriously considering a semi hollow of some sort. I'm just wondering whether the Dot will add enough versatility to my arsenal to be worth the $350... or whether I should ask him to lower the price or something.
If you got it, I reckon (my opinion only), you'd eventually think it's just a token semi-hollow in your gear.

EDIT: I.e. if you want a hollowbody, look around a bit.
EDIT2: and tbh doesn't look like you're saving much.
Epiphone Dot-335
Fender USA Tele

Crybaby
TS-9
turbo rat
Ge-7
+many more

Fender Twin Reverb
Last edited by Hdap101 at Aug 14, 2007,
I have a Dot that I originally paid $325 (used) in pristine condition with a OHC. If those are CN dollars, it's in great shape, and you know you really want it then it's a deal. The only things that turns me off on the 335 is the size of the body. But that's personal preference. It's a nice guitar though a bit hard to work on the electrics (pots don't have much access). The key thing is knowing that you want a 335 style guitar. If you do then it's a decent deal. But I'd still try and talk him down a few bucks unless you owe him a favor.