So, I was wondering, what's the big deal about strats and les pauls? Everybody seems to love them, and I don't get why. I've played $1000 strats and $2000 lp's, and as far as I can tell my $500 PRS blows them all away. So please, enlighten me as to why everyone likes them, and I might change my mind, if I have a good reason.

---Prepares for flaming---

Michael
You dont need to be enlightened. You're totally correct. mdawg24, you're one of the few UGers that has good taste in guitars.
I have the same exact question. PRS blows away fender and gibson i must say, but its all personal prefrence. I tried to break away from the mainstream and get something that actually has good features and wound up with a parker guitar. The best guitar company in the world IMO, then comes PRS. Im not saying fenders and gibsons are bad, actually they are both very good, but for 99% of guitarists to say one or the other is the best is a bit weird.
its a status thing. having an expensive guitar makes you cool....
OR
It makes you a TOOL.
Quote by quincy514
Dave Matthews Band. I guess they're talented, but I find that every one of their fans seems to be a big tool with a popped collar and backwards Polo hat.

YES!!!
They're 2 of the most recognizeable guitars of all time, and have been around forever. I personally don't see what the big deal is either, I think they're a bit overrated. But both are very versatile.

*ducks and covers*
Personal preference? Some people like the thick sound of an LP and others like the bright and twangy type sound of a strat. PRS is the midground. Also, the SE quality (not as good as good ol' home made ones, but still good) PRS guitars just came out so people with less cash could afford PRS. LPs and Strats have been around forever, so people recognize them and adore them as tradition. The thought hat your PRS would own a good quality Strat or LP is pure opinion.
i completely agree, i hate the ways strats look.worst looking guitar ever. the les paul isnt very appealing to me either. im not saying they dont play well, im just saying that i dont know why people like them. i play an sg and it is my favorite guitar out there.
Ahhh, good, I thought I was the only one in the world. I personally like the way that they look, I just don't particularly care for the way that they play. They don't sound too bad either. But, PRS FTW!!!!

In my opinion.
I really like Fender guitars, but they haven't made anything good for at least thirty years. They tanked when they started making cheaper and more affordable models in Japan, Indonesia, and Mexico. Gibson is iffy because they make Les Pauls and SGs but they also follow it up with horrendous Explorers and Marauders. It really comes down to personal preference though.
DALAI LAMA OF ZEPPELINISM

Quote by Kartman

I look up to you now. I'm serious, I have more respect for you than most Ugers!
Quote by mdawg24
So, I was wondering, what's the big deal about strats and les pauls? Everybody seems to love them, and I don't get why. I've played $1000 strats and $2000 lp's, and as far as I can tell my $500 PRS blows them all away. So please, enlighten me as to why everyone likes them, and I might change my mind, if I have a good reason.

---Prepares for flaming---

Michael

Yea I don't see what the big deal is with them either....

TELES ALL THE WAY!!!!
*hits the deck*
Fender Standard Telecaster
Peavey Envoy 110
Boss DS-1 EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone Behringer DD400 Digital Delay
Digitech Bad Monkey
Adrian Belew raved about Parkers in an interview on UG a few months back. I dunno I played one at L&M, I didn't think they were anything special.

Quote by Kartman

Yeah, a lot of these guitars sound really good, however I like PRS partially because it sounds good, but also because the looks are really toned down. That's a lot of why I would like Strats and LP's (If they played well) is because they don't look all crazy and stuff. To me, anyway. Then again, that's what everyone's been saying- that it's all a matter of personal preference. I know the looks of a guitar are no way to judge whether or not to buy it, but you have to have a guitar that you like to be seen with.
There is no answer. It's about the same as asking "why does anyone drive mustangs, my camaro blows them out of the water." It's all preference. There is nothing substantiave that will prove one better than the other.
Quote by TwoString
There is no answer. It's about the same as asking "why does anyone drive mustangs, my camaro blows them out of the water." It's all preference. There is nothing substantiave that will prove one better than the other.

The only smart post in the thread.
I'm back, you douchebags.
Probably because a strat IMO is one of the best guitars for blues, and les pauls are really recognizable. Also, my strat is more comfortable than any guitar I've played.
They (Fender) tanked when they started making affordable guitars in Japan? My, my, my. Horrendous Explorers and Marauders?
You are certainly entitled to your opinion.
Last edited by uldhppi at Aug 14, 2007,
Quote by uldhppi
They (Fender) tanked when they started making affordable guitars in Japan? My, my, my. Horrendous Explorers and Marauders?
You are certainly entitled to your opinion.

Yeah I am, but who am I too tell you what to buy right? I'm just some guy on the internet.

Quote by Kartman

Quote by Sloopy
Yeah I am, but who am I too tell you what to buy right? I'm just some guy on the internet.

Good point.
I like them all: Fender, Gibson, and PRS

yea...I know... Im not helping...
Vala: 1987 Stratocaster Plus
Dargie: MM Stingray 5 HS Dargie Delight 1 of 15
Buttercream (for now): Stingray 4 HH ltd. 2005 Buttercream
Rose: Bongo 5 HH Fretless Candy Apple Red

Dargie Delight Aholic of the Bass Militia, PM Dinkydaisy to join
Well, when i was shopping for my second electric guitar, i tried out some strats, sounded really nice for blues and some rock, but i wanted something that sounded better for different kinds of rock. It honestly never crossed my mind to try out a PRS, but i tried out a few other guitars, Shecter Hellraiser, Ibanez RG, SG, and an LP. Once i started playing the LP i just fell in love with it, just played great, and felt solid. Shecter's and Ibanez's just felt like they were built only for metal imho. So i got an Epi LP Custom and am not regreting it. Thats why i like LP's so much, all personal preference, just happens that lots of people like strats and LP's i guess
Epiphone LP Cust. w/ SD '59 neck and Cust. 5 bridge
Fender MIA Stratocaster
Traynor YCV50
Vox AD30VT
Dunlop SW-95 Wah
ElectroHarmonix Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker
ElectroHarmonix Small Clone
We roll tonight, To the guitar bite
well, fenders and gibson kind of defined the sound of many styles of popular music since the birth of rock and roll. (and before) however, i do love the prs, imo, theey can be far too expensive (like gibson). i love the sound, feel, and prices of strats. (not that they cant get overpriced too)
its because its the brand name, its the same way apple can charge an extra $100, because it says ipod on the back. theyre the standard; it doesnt matter wether another guitar is better, people pay big money to have the brand name.

but i agree, PRS can blow both of them outta the water.
Quote by AlecMag
You have made a potentially boring thread epic. Be proud.

Quote by rabidguitarist
deanwad could be right, actually.

98% of teens have been around or have had alcohol. Put this in your sig if you like bagels.