Hi,

I have an 80 watt traynor amp, and also Line 6 POD XT Live pedal. I've been having a great difficulty getting a good sound out of this combo, I have no idea what it is. My main thing is distortion...simply put, it's very bad. It sounds thin, and muddy.

Should I play around with the pedal some more (to be honest I didn't really read the manual) - is there more to the pedal than I think? Could it be that I'm just not a tube kind of guy (in other words, should I get a marshall and shut up?)

Hopefully someone on here can help!

Thanks in advance!
Which Traynor amp?
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Yea, I was actually in the process of finding the model:

And...it is:

Traynor YCV80Q
Throw out the PodXT and crank the amp .
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
I actually tried it without the pedal for the first time in a while...to remember what it sounds like without. And actually - the amp's distortion is quite nice - I did like it.

It just surprises me, that the POD XT Live isn't giving me good distortions. Basically I want the pedal to give me variety (I don't want to have just the one distortion that the amp offers). And also I want delays, reverbs, chorus, octave, etc. I have a footswitch with the amp, but that's just 2 sounds. Just in one song, I plan to have more than that...So I don't think I'm ready to throw the pedal out just yet :P (maybe replace it??)

Any thoughts?
Use the amp's distortion, and use the POD for all the other effects.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Well the PODxt tries to model different tube amps; so it makes sense that a real tube amp would most likely sound better .

It might be time to start buying individual pedals.
Quote by utsapp89
I would try turning off the modeling options. I had a GT6 with all the modeling on, and it sounded crap through my traynor. try it without the modeling effects.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
my Zoom G7.1ut has some distortions that are weak, some that are awesome. This is through a solid state Crate amp, with a 300$ guitar. I notice that when I turn the volume up, even the weak distortions sound better. For me, the marshall, Mesa, and other distortions are great, but some of the distortions like DS-1 and dist. + are weak. I don't know what to tell you if all of them are weak.
is there an effects loop on the amp?
I actually do have schizophrenia, so stop making fun of people who have it.

GEAR:
Boss ME-50
Silvertone Paul Stanley Apocalypse (modded)
Squier Affinity Strat (modded)
Italia Modulo 2
Fender Front 15G
unless you just need more distortion, most people use the amps distortion because in essence thats half of why you bought tube in the first place. Also rule of thumb(for me at least) digital jack of all trades pedals like that are way overrated. I have one and i never use it ever. I agree with FacingUsAll its time for individual pedals. Big Muff and Pro Co rat are both great distotions pedals, thats where id start and i would try to sell the POS ........i mean D
Quote by DefectedFromGod
is there an effects loop on the amp?

yes it does...at work i've been reading that the POD XT Live sounds better with that - but I'm not too sure what it is. Essentially it's just a different input in the amp?

Cause right now I have it plugged straight into the guitar input.

Thanks for your responses.