What do you think is the best console based only on your opinion of it's non-ported games. For example you can't say Wii because of it's virtual console or, or Xbox because of Xbox Live, or PS3 because you can play PS1 and PS2 games on it, or GBA because of constantly re-released SNES games, get the picture? However judgements based on games released across multiple platforms is o.k. like Madden games. Anyway after that long-winded intro this is practically a 4-way tie between the Sega Genesis, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, and Sega Dreamcast (however had I have owned a Sega Saturn it would have been on this list). But if I had to choose only one I would say Dreamcast because it had a ton of good games and not nearly as much crap as the other systems. The Genesis and SNES had a bunch of great games, but for every Link To The Past you got 100 Shaq Fu's. And the N64 had literally about 30 good games, but they were some of the best of any console.

Main Reasons for my choice

My favorite Sega Dreamcast games: Sonic Adventure 1 and 2, Shenmue, Soul Calibur, Skies of Arcadia, Rayman 2, and many others
SNES > all
Gunpowder: FUCKING ROCKS!!!
Quote by The Madcap
[witty set-up]
Gunpowder FUCKING ROCKS!!!!!

Quote by Kensai

Gunpowder you fucking rock!!

Quote by Dirge Humani
Now I can say, with sufficient certainly, that you, Gunpowder...

FUCK ROCKS!
SNES owns everything
super mario world > any other game
Brokeback Lego - Animation Movie I Made

Quote by \GuitarHero/
Our band mascot is a Muffin.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who aren't close-minded morons.
finally, someone else who appreciates the dreamcast!
Check out my guitar quartet composition The Lone Wolf and you will be rewarded! With a live wolf!

Are you a PROG-HEAD? I am.

Quote by Led Pepplin
I'm adding you to my list of most hated UGers.

The Sega Mega Drive/Genesis. Probably because it was THE arcade machine at the time really. Great graphics, sound, nice controller. Also it was home to Splatterhouse 2, my favourite game of all time.
You're saying that the Dreamcast is good? Why did it go out of production then?
I'm a tone wh0re and a gear slut.
Quote by Sabbath-ologist

Sony already had a huge market and basically bullied the Dreamcast out of the colloquial
'Console Wars'.
<Han> I love Hitler
Quote by Sabbath-ologist
Sega Dreamcast was freaking great, the main factors it went out of production was ISAO OKA WA dying. He was pretty much a frontrunner in the company. When he died, it went down.
Well, the Atari 2600 DID have the longest life span of any system (over 10 years), and for good reason.

It may not have been graphically stunning (even for the era), but it had a good flow of great games that were released over the years of its original existance.

But, I think, especially after seeing the type of revolutionary games that came out for it, SNES wins.

I mean, the NES may have rekindled the world's love for games, but the SNES made games what they are today.

Without the SNES, we wouldn't have had shoulder buttons as quickly, no Final Fantasy, no Yoshi, and tons of great minds and companies we know and love today.

Not to mention the sheer amount of amazing games that can still be enjoyed today, like the Castlevanias, the old Mortal Kombats, Super Mario World, Mega Man X, etc.

Long live SNES.

Quote by HaKattack
Sony already had a huge market and basically bullied the Dreamcast out of the colloquial
'Console Wars'.

Not to mention Microsoft basically bought the DC out.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
how can anyone say playstation. if this is about who has the best first party software then sony is screwed. they have none.

i'd say any nintendo console for the pure fun and originality of nintendo titles, my favourite though would definately be the snes star wing ftmfw
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Quote by skater dan0
how can anyone say playstation. if this is about who has the best first party software then sony is screwed. they have none.

i'd say any nintendo console for the pure fun and originality of nintendo titles, my favourite though would definately be the snes star wing ftmfw

It's not about games. It's about just the best overall console.

Based on the specs of the console with nothing added like online play and the like.

Saxo-Walrus

Quote by Sabbath-ologist

The Dreamcast was basically the PS3 of that generation. Very powerful system a bit ahead of its time, was quite expensive comparably, and didn't get a lot of developer support. It was clearly the best though. I miss my Dreamcast...
Quote by happytimeharry
The Dreamcast was basically the PS3 of that generation. Very powerful system a bit ahead of its time, was quite expensive comparably, and didn't get a lot of developer support. It was clearly the best though. I miss my Dreamcast...

I STILL want one....

Crazy Taxi, Shenmue, Power Stone (I have the Collection on my PSP, but it's not the same), Seaman, etc.

I would kill to have one now.

And what about those memory cards? Talk about awesome.

Saxo-Walrus

Quote by fallenangel20
It's not about games. It's about just the best overall console.

Based on the specs of the console with nothing added like online play and the like.

congratulations you fail the reading test.

see below for where you went wrong

Quote by RandyVanHendrix
What do you think is the best console based only on your opinion of it's non-ported games.
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Quote by fallenangel20

And what about those memory cards? Talk about awesome.

Dude, a VMU + Sonic Adventure Chao Garden = TAMAGOTCHI!!!!
Quote by skater dan0
congratulations you fail the reading test.

see below for where you went wrong

Congratulations for not reading the next sentence and not seeing where I was referencing.

For example you can't say Wii because of it's virtual console or, or Xbox because of Xbox Live, or PS3 because you can play PS1 and PS2 games on it, or GBA because of constantly re-released SNES games, get the picture?

Quote by happytimeharry
Dude, a VMU + Sonic Adventure Chao Garden = TAMAGOTCHI!!!!

That's awesome.

It's a shame that, just when Sega had something going since the Genesis, and it died horribly.

We should be playing DC3 right now.

Saxo-Walrus

PS2 has over 115 million sales.
It is the best console of all time like it or not.
Metal Gear
Tekken
Gran Turismo
Grand Theft Auto
Okami
God of War
ICO
Shadow of the Colossus
Devil May Cry
Final Fantasy
Timesplitters
Guitar Hero

I know a lot those series aren't complete exclusives, but they started exclusively on the PS2 or had their main titles on the PS2.
The list could go on all day.The PS3 will come good eventually......
Last edited by Surfer Rosa at Aug 14, 2007,
Quote by Surfer Rosa
PS2 has over 115 million sales.
It is the best console of all time like it or not.
Metal Gear
Tekken
Gran Turismo
Grand Theft Auto

Okami
God of War
ICO
Shadow of the Colossus
Devil May Cry
Final Fantasy
Timesplitters
Guitar Hero

I know a those series aren't complete exclusives, but they started on the PS2 or had their main titles on the PS2.
The list could go on all day.The PS3 will come good eventually......

The ones in bold didn't start on PS2, and could be argued to not have their main titles on PS2.

[/nag]

Saxo-Walrus

Well I kinda meant they were exclusives from the GC and the Xbox for the most part.And I'd say the first 4 bolded had their main/best titles on the PS2 maybe not final fantasy I know but I put it down because it's main titles FFX and FFXII were exclusives on the PS2.
Quote by fallenangel20
Congratulations for not reading the next sentence and not seeing where I was referencing.

That's awesome.

It's a shame that, just when Sega had something going since the Genesis, and it died horribly.

We should be playing DC3 right now.

first party software doesn't equal specs.

specs are the hardwares capabilities first party software is software that is released only on it's home console, eg zelda on a nintendo sonic on a sega back in the day

i did read the entire post including the bit about not counting the online capabilities of each console and such

although i do i agree the dreamcast shouldn't have ended the way it did, and there should be a sega in all the hardware arguements

but sadly it's gone
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
Quote by Surfer Rosa
Well I kinda meant they were exclusives from the GC and the Xbox for the most part.And I'd say the first 4 bolded had their main/best titles on the PS2 maybe not final fantasy I know but I put it down because it's main titles FFX and FFXII were exclusives on the PS2.

I know, I know. I was just messing with you.

Saxo-Walrus

Quote by fallenangel20
I know, I know. I was just messing with you.

yeah I know

just preventing from coming in and saying STFU N00b or something along those lines.
Quote by Sabbath-ologist

Just because it died an early death doesn't mean it isn't good. It's more of an underground system with a cult following. Seriously, some of the best games ever were Dreamcast originals. It is definately the most underrated system ever
Quote by RandyVanHendrix
Just because it died an early death doesn't mean it isn't good. It's more of an underground system with a cult following. Seriously, some of the best games ever were Dreamcast originals. It is definately the most underrated system ever

followed by the gamecube IMO

honestly, metroid prime pwns the hell out of **** like halo and GTA (im obviously not saying theyre from the same genres)

dont even get me started on games like f-zero gx and theyre lack of recognition
If you're an American, Nintendo DS. If you're Japanese, Sega Saturn. If you're European, Sega MegaDrive (aka Genesis).
Weapons of choice-
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender MIM Jazz Bass

Favorite genre-

Hard Rock
Hair Metal
Classic Metal
J-Rock

Quote by Diamond Dave

honestly, metroid prime pwns the hell out of **** like halo and GTA (im obviously not saying theyre from the same genres)

Gamecube is underrated. Legend of Zelda The Windwaker is definately one of my favorite games.