I'm noticing that amazing players like Rustey Cooley start off three string arpeggios with a downstroke, pull off to the next note on the same string (high e) and then two upstokes on the following two notes (High E - down pick on 17, pull off onto 13, B - upstroke on 15, G - upstroke on 14, B - Downstoke on 15, E - Downstoke on 13 and repeat).

I have been doing this the whole time:

High E String - down pick on 17, pull off onto 13, B String - upstroke on 15, G String - downstroke on 14, B - Downstoke on 15, E - Downstoke on 13 and repeat.

Is my technique wrong??? Will it affect my speed?

Here is a video of my sweeping, please give tips and pointers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DGfNj9kOk8
Quote by Sagdiyev
This man's an anal masturbator, he knows what he's talking about.
Last edited by -megadeth- at Aug 14, 2007,
can't see nothing, but it sounds like a good sweeping.
Quote by Slicendice

stop using UG as a search engine.

I guarantee that google will be 10x more helpfull and loving.
Quote by Heavil
can't see nothing, but it sounds like a good sweeping.

Yeah sorry bout the dark.
Quote by Sagdiyev
i do itthe same way as you and i find its easier forme because going down, pull, up, up, down wastes energy so i just do it the way you described it.
Quote by csn00b
I hate seeing cute girls topless and what not, it just feels wrong.
that was good was that atreyu?
my gear:

Schecter Hellraiser Sunset FR
Line 6 spider 2: 212 combo 120 watt =\
Line 6 guitar port
EVH frankenstein painted Explorer
sounds pretty damn clean, but can't see

btw MEGADETH FTW
Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Squier SG (Specs Unknown)
Kustom KGA-10 Ten watt practice amp
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
Quote by taylorfrey66
that was good was that atreyu?

Hell no I hate that band
Quote by Sagdiyev
it was trivium i could tell by the chinese part ive heard it in the one song i cant remember which song i only listen to trivium for their solos and learn them..lol
ive actually altered some of my sweeps to do that, sweeps bigger than 3 strings i change so i make the bottom note an upstroke, i feel more confident i'll hit the note that way instead of skip over it while changing directions

its all a matter of preference, practicing anything enough and itll get as fast as cooley plays
Quote by beadhangingOne
There is no music but metal and muhammad is its prophet.
actually what cooley is doing is if i am correct is called inside picking?gilbert mentions it in a video...this is how i do the same sweep very close to yours but give you slight more speed and less pick hand motion
17 down pull off to 13,upstroke on 15 downstroke on 14,down on 15 down on 13 then hammer on 17 pull off to thirteen,up on 15,down on 14,down on 15 down on 13 repeat the hammer pull thing
it save the amount of times you pick the string,,it also gives you three downs in a row which is the whole point of sweeping to sweep across the strings,hope i explained it properly.