im stuck in a rut. my teacher is teaching me to solo, or trying to anyway, but i just cant do it. i have tried. i have been constantly practicing my scales, but i just cant get the solos to come out. i try but it ever sounds right, ya know? i have looked at the lessons here on UG but i just cant get it. is there anything im not reading about, or am i just not creative for the solo's. soooo help? even just some sort of encouragment would be nice. (its one of those things for me that makes me want to put the guitar down and say f**k it)
it doesnt matter what you play, just put emotion in it. after you have the emotion in it, the correct sound will follow.
Quote by dunkelblau

Dear Stoner Stone,
I have found in reading this post that you are lacking the intelligence of a normal person.
you need serious help, possibly involving a screwdriver, and a large piece of wood.
please, be deceased now.
thank you

Quote by moonhawk
im stuck in a rut. my teacher is teaching me to solo, or trying to anyway, but i just cant do it. i have tried. i have been constantly practicing my scales, but i just cant get the solos to come out. i try but it ever sounds right, ya know? i have looked at the lessons here on UG but i just cant get it. is there anything im not reading about, or am i just not creative for the solo's. soooo help? even just some sort of encouragment would be nice. (its one of those things for me that makes me want to put the guitar down and say f**k it)

Listen to your favourite artists and copy them. Learn their solos, their moves, etc etc.

And keep practicing or tell your teacher that his approach isnt working, and try to figure out a way that works.
Every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Listen to your favourite artists and copy them. Learn their solos, their moves, etc etc.

And keep practicing or tell your teacher that his approach isnt working, and try to figure out a way that works.

ha. im not going to be playing iron maiden's/ Dream evil's solos for awhile. (cant shred )

but i just...cant get the emotion in, i guess is the right choice of words. sometimes i just dont even think and let my fingers go wherever they want and my brother walks in and switches off my amp.
Quote by moonhawk
ha. im not going to be playing iron maiden's/ Dream evil's solos for awhile. (cant shred )

but i just...cant get the emotion in, i guess is the right choice of words. sometimes i just dont even think and let my fingers go wherever they want and my brother walks in and switches off my amp.

Don't you have at least one non-shredder you like?
Every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you
if it comes down to it, figure out what key the "Smells Like Teen Spirit" solo is in, learn those notes, and turn on a backing track. After playing that solo a couple of times, start replacing notes with other notes from a scale in that key (I won't tell you which key, it's better for your learning if you figure it out for yourself)
I actually do have schizophrenia, so stop making fun of people who have it.

GEAR:
Boss ME-50
Silvertone Paul Stanley Apocalypse (modded)
Squier Affinity Strat (modded)
Italia Modulo 2
Fender Front 15G
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Don't you have at least one non-shredder you like?

helloween

but even some of there songs have a little bit of shred. why must i like all bands that shred? why god.?!WHY?! anyone reccomend a non shred power metal band? i cant find one...
Broaden your goddamn choice of bands. And learn the freakin' blues.
Bands to see before I die:
Iron Maiden
Foo Fighters
Megadeth
Reel Big Fish
Rush
Streetlight Manifesto

Gear:
Epi LP Standard
Washburn Strat
Line 6 Spider (Yes, I know it's bad)

GAS:
Ibanez RG3570Z
Digitech Whammy
Quote by SupremeACL
Broaden your goddamn choice of bands. And learn the freakin' blues.

maybe i dont LIKE any other music becase i dont like this generations half screaming crap and everything else bores me. nor do i like death metal.
If you're sat there playing scales up and down you're not learning to solo. You're learning to play a series of notes ascending and descending.

Just mess around with the minor pentatonic scale, play the notes "out of order", whatever. Find a phrase you like and make something of it
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
take a break. seriously, i have so many times where i get stuck playing the same thing, or not playing anything half decent. take a day off and listen to guys solo who you like. trust me, it will help
You have to stop trying to play certain songs or even genres and instead concentrate on learning to play the guitar...they're two different things.

The best way to solo is to learn the history of the solo...modern metal soloing didn't just appear, the style evolved as subseqent generations of musicians built on what had been done before. Start with simple blues solos, listen to Muddy Waters and BB King, even early Clapton and learn how to improvise over the 1-IV-V chord progression, then speed things up by moving through the rock and roll years copping licks from Chuck Berry, before long you're into the 60's where powerhouse bands like The Who and Cream made things more aggressive and intense than ever before.

Then a young bluesman named James Marshall Hendrix, came to England to seek his fortune and everything changed...the ultimate showman who turned whose incendiary playing inspired a generation. Thanks to the Yardbirds Britain gained it's own holy trinity of rock with Clapton flanked by Page and Beck...and whilst the jagged riffs of Keith Richards vied with the lyrical lines of George Harrison a storm was brewing.

Whilst Ritchie Blackmore embodied the flamboyance of the classical composers, out of the gloomy industrial wasteland of Birmingham Tony Iommi was forging dark, gutwrenching riffs. The piercing twin rapiers of Glenn Tipton and KK Downing followed closely, and were in kind met by the twin broadswords of Murray and Smith. The storm grew, and America took notice.

Whilst Aerosmith grooved with Whitford and Perry, Ace Frehley set the sky ablaze, Tom Scholz made beautiful music and Billy Gibbons taught harmonics how to snarl. Johnny Ramone taught us that it didn't matter how good you were as long as you looked cool, with Joe Strummer his most dilligent disciple. Then a young Dutch kid eclipsed it all and Eddie Van Halen exploded onto the scene. Jaws dropped, and by the time they were picked up the guitar landscape had changed again.

Just as we were struggling to see over the rapidly expanding hair of CC Deville and Ritchie Sambora, along came Randy Rhoads to remind us what class and taste were. Mustaine and Hetfield couldn't settle their differences but we at least got two bands for the price of one, ably assisted by Kirk Hammett who picked up his chops from a guy named Joe. Joe taught Steve too, and the two of them inspired a shredding arms race. Marty Friedman and Paul Gilbert dazzled us at breakneck speed, Ritchie Blackmore's lovechild Yngwie Malmsteem swept us up in a wave of classical renaissance and we all laughed at Michaelangelo Batio. Even the jazzers upped the stakes, George Benson was no slouch but the likes of John Mclaughlin, Frank Gambale and Allan Holdsworth weren't even on this planet at times.

The precision of shred and the power of metal collided head on as bands got faster and heavier. Jeff Hahnneman and Kerry King led the way as Chuck Schuldiner, Alex Skolnik and Andreas Kisser crushed nations beneath their amplifiers. Kurt Cobain reminded us that how you play is just as important as what you play, and thousands unfurled their plaid shirts to pay homage to him and his peers Kim Thayill, Mike McCready, Stone Gossard and Big, Sick, Ugly Jim Martin.

Nothing defeats the metal though, and as John Petrucci seemingly waged a one-man crusade against technical ignorance the thunderous roar of detuned mayhem came forth. Darkest Europe spawned Alexi Laiho, Mike Amott and the monstrous Mohammed Suicimez.
In England, Herman Li and Sam Totman reminded us not to take ourselves too seriously, whilst the blessed Synyster Gates reminded us that you can become a famous guitarist no matter how much you suck...

That's a fraction, a tiny snapshot of the history of the guitar - it barely scratches the surface. But, more than anything else, THAT'S what you have to do...immerse yourself in it, listen to anything and everything you can and learn from it all. Every piece of guitar music in existence has something to teach you, every player should be an example in some way, their style, their passion, their ability. The more you listen to the more you'll learn, don't aim to be "a good metal guitarist", just aim to be a good guitarist and you'll naturally evolve into the player you're supposed to be.

Love the guitar...know the guitar...play the guitar...Profit!
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
^Fantastic! Did you just type all of that for this thread or do you have this saved in a folder for UG noobs to be copied and pasted?
I was just kind of riffing on an idea and it sort of came out...I'm surprised it makes any sense at all to be honest
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
In England, Herman Li and Sam Totman reminded us not to take ourselves too seriously, whilst the blessed Synyster Gates reminded us that you can become a famous guitarist no matter how much you suck...
That's a fraction, a tiny snapshot of the history of the guitar - it barely scratches the surface. But, more than anything else, THAT'S what you have to do...immerse yourself in it, listen to anything and everything you can and learn from it all. Every piece of guitar music in existence has something to teach you, every player should be an example in some way, their style, their passion, their ability. The more you listen to the more you'll learn, don't aim to be "a good metal guitarist", just aim to be a good guitarist and you'll naturally evolve into the player you're supposed to be.

Love the guitar...know the guitar...play the guitar...Profit!

that part made me lol for like 5 mins. but thanks for the write up *copy and pastes it into word*

im also surprised there not very much flaming in here...but than again its not the pit...