ok so my grandad died last week and i was really close to him. ive spent the week clearing out his flat and making funeral arrangements. now it's the funeral in 3 hours and im really scared . It's my first funeral and im not sure how well im gonna hold up, the only thing ive done thats like this is my best friends memorial service (she died 3 months ago, i spent 2 weeks writing a speech and when it came to it i said the first word then broke down)

ive been asked to read a poem with my brother at the service, but im really worried im gonna screw it up and im determinded not to break down cos i need to be strong for my dad.

anyone have any advice on how to read it without letting my emotions get too overwhelming? thank you for your time ug.

jackass_babe x
Quote by rich_sg
Oh come on Emz, the thread is who's your favorite UG'er, not MOST FAVORITE IN THE WHOLE WORLD!

Elecktra Of The UG Hero's And Villian's Club Pm josh999x To Join

The proud owner of [x]Huffy[x]

Quote by Heafyman
You Jackass_babe are cool.
Imagine everyone at the service in their underwear.
Quote by Kensai
I know a good joke:

Women's rights.
Quote by Chubbychunks
I know a good joke:

Kensai's life.
funerals. i always disliked goin to them. read the poem. its for your grandad, screw the rest.
sorry for your losses.
i just had my first funeral a few eeks ago, my aunt passed away from cancer.
all i can say is dont be ashamed to cry, but to be strong just think that ur grandad would hvae wanted u to be strong and to pull through this.
I don't think anybody is going to mind if you cry; it's important to grieve and not hold it back. I'm sorry for your loss.
Love is not a victory march.
this same exact thing happened in january.

my friend passed away form a drug overdose, the church hall was filled and everyone got up one at a time to say something, and i when i got my turn i broke down...

i said "live like a legend, die like a legend" and i beat myself up every day for not being able to say something better...

its fine to cry, and you're gonna break down, its probably gonna be one of the ****tiest feelings you'll have for a long time, but if you cared, you'd do it.

i rather see someone cry while trying to read a poem then see them all calm and collected about such a tragic thing...

but thats only my opinion.
Quote by Guitar0player
You're Thurstonsexual

Happily E-Married to En_zed
The public doesn't want new music; the main thing that it demands of a composer is that he be dead.
-- Arthur Honegger

Enjoy reading? Please crit my work .
Funerals are tough, I know exactly how you feel right now. Sorry for your loss.

The only thing I can suggest as far as reading goes is take your time, there's no big hurry to get through the poem. Just keep in mind that it's okay if your emotions get the best of you, it's happened to me at funerals and I know it's happened to anyone else who has lost a close friend or relative.
sorry to hear about your loss man.

anyway, i pretty much agree with a lot of people in here in that it's ok to cry. no one's going to blame you and you may feel a bit embarassed, but everyone will understand.

good luck.
Don't drop the casket, we almost did for my great-grandmothers funeral

Sucked, the mofo was like 500 pounds and she maybe weighed 90.
Quote by Dimebag Dave
Imagine everyone at the service in their underwear.

*shudders* probably a good amount of old people there...
Quote by bpoeoanry
go back to sleep
Waking up with boobs? Is there a visine for that.
thanks for all of your replies guys, just knowing that you guys know exactly how im feeling makes this that little bit easier. thank you so much for being sincere and not sending useless spam xx
Quote by rich_sg
Oh come on Emz, the thread is who's your favorite UG'er, not MOST FAVORITE IN THE WHOLE WORLD!

Quote by Heafyman
The first funeral I ever went to was my best friend's... If you're worried about crying at the service, you might not.

I didn't, but when it hit me a few hours later, I cried for days...
Practice it, and just think of how proud your grandad would be. It's for him. No one else matters. Just hold up; be strong.

My first funeral was 4 days after Thanksgiving this year. I had to be a pallbearer =[ It...sucked, to say the least. Interesting experience, however.

I'm sorry for your loss, though. May your grandfather rest in peace.
Quote by SForbz-Rockstar
They weren't homeless they were just Grunge.
Quote by Jekkyl
Practice it, and just think of how proud your grandad would be. It's for him. No one else matters. Just hold up; be strong.

My first funeral was 4 days after Thanksgiving this year. I had to be a pallbearer =[ It...sucked, to say the least. Interesting experience, however.

I'm sorry for your loss, though. May your grandfather rest in peace.

thank you that means alot to me.

the conclusion, as i think best to put it, is that when the coffin was being taken out of the hurst i cried alot and i got up to read the poem during the service. i read the first line and couldn't continue, my throat was caning cos i was trying to fight back tears. i hate myself for not reading them but, as every cloud has a silver lining, im am so proud of my brother it is unbelievable. he is 10 and although he was crying all the way through the service, he read the poem beautifully. there was alot of people at the funeral and even more people at the wake. he had an awesome send-off, he deserved the very best.

thanks for all your support guys, wishing you well, Jackass_Babe xx
Quote by rich_sg

Quote by Heafyman
I couldn't handle the last funeral I went to. It was the brother of a close friend of mine, whom I had been neighbors with for much of my childhood. His brother was honestly the nicest guy you'd ever meet. He was a Trekkie, but he was good looking, had a good social life, and a girlfriend. He was only like 28 when he died, and he had just got a promotion like the week earlier.

There were a lot of people at his funeral, and it killed me seeing how many people were crying and saddened by his loss. I didn't break out into tears, but yes, I let a few slip down my cheek.

May he rest in peace, and I'm sorry for your loss. These kinds of things are always tragedies.
Sorry about the loss, man.

The only funeral I've ever gone to was for my grandpa, about 5 years ago...I cried threw the whole thing...
The.
I've went to a fair few funerals and I've had a hard time crying. I couldn't cry for some reason even though it was my grandparents...
I'm really sorry about the loss. My grandad died last august I believe, I wasn't really that close to him though...
Anyway, don't worry about breaking down, this is for your grandad, not everyone else.
This thread nearly made me cry.

Never been to a funeral, and I don't plan on it any time soon. My friend had a friend which I don't know commit suicide, and it was really tough for her. She just got a call one day, saying her friend had taken her own life, and it was really awful. It was bad, and I couldn't do anything. I guess that a funeral is the time to "do something." Try to make everyone feel better. If you cry, that's fine. No one's going to hate you.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
I've only been to one. It's your last one you need to worry about.
"It's not nice when people call you darling and that"