hey im new to UG and guitar play in general so i hope i put this in the right section...

because im new i have next to no knowlage on anything so i come here with some questions which would really help me along the way

is there a way to properly tune guitars for certain types of guitar work? ie: can i tune my guitar to sound more neo-classical, or more bluesy?
i want to tune my guitar to a hybrid between real 70's blues rock and roll and 80's epic heavy metal
secondly, where can i find specific notes/chords for specific types of guitar work? ive been searchign everywhere but all i am told to do is fret here or fret there.. if i knew what notes i was actually playing itd be soo much better.. say if i wanted to do a cover of lets say any Metallica song and i wanted to do it my way i wouldnt be able to because i havnt found anywhere were it says specific notes or what not...
also what pick ups, pedals and strings should i take a look at or invest in to try and find my hybrid sound?
maybe im thinking about this a little too much.. havnt got me a guitar teacher yet either but im looking out for one

btw this is my guitar.. its had no modifications to it at all, strait out of the box it was... ohh and if it helps, im a left handed player http://www.ashtonmusic.com.au/productView.asp?productID=24

thanx for everything
Well, you can always customise the guitar to get different sounds, although the one you have there doesn't look too bad for blues and 80's metal.

For bluesy rock, I recommend you look at Pentatonic scales. Most songs of that type use that scale, and if you try it, you'll immediately hear a blues sound. Get a guitar teacher to show you.
Im a bit of a n00b here >_< but with regerds to you wanting to know the notes for things I'd say simply just work it out for yourself.. assuming you know standard tuning and the position of notes on the fretboard?
Arctic Monkeys fan club

I just started playing electric guitar should I get a Gabson Lay Pall or a Femdor Startokaster. I like the picks on the gabsons but i like how sweet femdors look. Beforre i get a gabson what company makes them?
If not then PM me
Arctic Monkeys fan club

I just started playing electric guitar should I get a Gabson Lay Pall or a Femdor Startokaster. I like the picks on the gabsons but i like how sweet femdors look. Beforre i get a gabson what company makes them?
You'd be much better asking this question in Electric Guitar/Guitar Gear and Accessories. To answer the:

*Most songs will be in standard tuning. No one tuning sounds more like a particular genre than another - it's what you do with the notes.
*If you know what frets you're meant to be playing, you can work out what note it is. For example, in standard tuning the 7th fret on the low E string will be a B, the 7th fret on the 5th lowest string will be an E, etc.
*What amp do you have? That's not the best of guitars, but it's not bad for a beginner. I'd be looking into getting something like the Vox Valvetronix or Roland Cube for what you play, the Valvetronix would be your best bet. Get the 30W version, it's plenty loud enough for what you'll need it for. These are modelling amps, which means you don't need to buy many effects.
*For strings, use something that's comfortable for you. Most beginners start off with 9's, but move up to 10's or a hybrid gauge for playing. I'm currently using a hybrid 10-52 gauge which seems to suit most of the things I play, plus doesn't get too flabby if I decide to downtune.

I strongly suggest you get a teacher, even if it's only for the first few months. They will help you start off with a good technique which will only help with the rate your skills improve. After that, UG has plenty of lessons for beginners and more advanced players that will help you become a better player.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
-sweet okay i figured there was more than one way to kill a cow but i guess its all the same blade, just how you use it.. but still it didnt hurt to ask lol

-sweet *thumbs up* that pretty much proves how new i am to guitars hey

-my amp is a standard 30W Ashton amp (gain, volume, bass, middle, treble dials is all thats on it)

-im not sure of the guage of my strings but i will check out my options... what style do you play???
Quote by Mygeeto
-sweet okay i figured there was more than one way to kill a cow but i guess its all the same blade, just how you use it.. but still it didnt hurt to ask lol

-sweet *thumbs up* that pretty much proves how new i am to guitars hey

-my amp is a standard 30W Ashton amp (gain, volume, bass, middle, treble dials is all thats on it)

-im not sure of the guage of my strings but i will check out my options... what style do you play???

I play a bit of everything really. I'm no fan of Ashton amps, but if you're happy with it don't get rid of it just yet. On the same note, don't go spending a huge amount of money on pedals. Maybe buy just a distortion or something while you're still learning. If you have any more specific questions about different pedals, ask away in GG&A (most of those guys know what they are talking about, apart from a few. Stay away from anything that's got metal in the name).
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
okay noted.. then how should i set my amp? i dont really like the idea of playing distorted and i love bass sound (maybe im meant to be a bass player hmm).. id prefer to play clean as much as possible and minimise any distortion..
there are no numbers or dials to indicate what level im at either but ill turn them to where i think they should be if there was digits on them
Hey mygeeto is that the same mygeeto form the bodybulding dungeon forum? if ur wanting like a nice clean kind of minimised bluesy distortion sound cut ur gain back to 3 teble about 5-6 bass about 4-7 mids nice and high 6-8 and roll ur guitar volume back to about 5 and tone on about 8 or none if u want a nice muted sound