Background
--I have been playing for quite some time and need to dump my lame 15 watt amp
--I play mostly crunchy heavy heavy Death metal, and some clean stuff sometimes

Amp Details

--Amp needs to have at least a 12" speaker to perform deeper sounds better at any given volume
--Please don't suggest halfstacks as I dont need gig material, as my friends and the guys have our own studio with Krank Amps that we use for shows and what nawt,

Amp Purpose
--home use to practice my new Riffs, when not at the studio
--I don't have to crank the volume really high or nothing, but just need the amp to have the specs of my amp details above, due to physics being the rule to the speaker size
--I'll of course use good Distortion pedal effects and such

Price Range?

--I don't really have one, but I would prefer $300 to $500, more if its something awsome I have tons of money, I really don't mind paying more

Amps I've Looked at online
Kustom HV65 High Voltage Series 65W 1x12 Guitar Combo Amp

Roland Cube 60 Guitar Amp

Vox Valvetronix AD50VT 50w 1x12 Guitar Combo Amp

Marshall MG50DFX Combo Amp
^ hear this one sucks bad, and Marshall's are only good at 1.8K or higher but I don't need anything big
Last edited by GoreGalore at Aug 15, 2007,
Well, I haven't heard much about the Kustom, so I can't comment on that.

I'd go with the Cube, mainly because you play metal and it's cleans are good too. You could go with the Valvetronix, but the Cube would be a lot easier to get a better tone out of.

Don't even go near the MG.

Question: If you're just home practicing, why do you need 60 watts? You might wanna take the wattage down a little and maybe get a nice pedal or some other **** with the extra money.
Ben
I say no to any digital amp nowadays
Schecter C1 Classic
Fender Vintage -57 Ri Stratocaster
Fender Blues JR w/ 12"Cannabis Rex
Mad Professor Sky Blue OD
Wampler Ego Compressor
TC Electronics Stereo Chorus/Flanger
Quote by muffinman123192
Well, I haven't heard much about the Kustom, so I can't comment on that.

I'd go with the Cube, mainly because you play metal and it's cleans are good too. You could go with the Valvetronix, but the Cube would be a lot easier to get a better tone out of.

Don't even go near the MG.

Question: If you're just home practicing, why do you need 60 watts? You might wanna take the wattage down a little and maybe get a nice pedal or some other **** with the extra money.

Well its not really for the wattage, its for the speaker size it self, which 60Watt to 75Watt amps just so happen to have the 12" speaker

so thats the main reason I suppose, the smaller speakers do high pitch sounds better, but the bigger speaker can do deeper sounds better

Quote by timi_hendrix
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/B52-60Watt-1x12-Tube-Combo?sku=480046

A little over budget, but better than the ones you listed. Although you asked for a practice amp, which now renders this post useless. Bollocks.

not over budget, if you read I said I'd like 300 to 500 range but I don't mind paying more

never heard of the B-52, hows it do under heavy distortion?
Last edited by GoreGalore at Aug 15, 2007,
You should look into Randall, apparently they have a really good gain ideally suited for metal. Idk any models tho
''Technological advancements are like an axe in the hands of a pathological criminal.'' - Albert Einstein
Quote by muffinman123192
Oh okay I follow you now.

I still say Cube if you're just practicing though.

yeah im just practicing, but I know how to play the guitar really well, and I sound insane in the studio, just needed something to practice at home when I'm away and what nawt
I feel like burning my current amp haha
id say go with the kustom ive heard good things about those and its tube driven which is a definite plus. my buddy owns one he loves it
Mike Fool
Quote by sooperskamaster
id say go with the kustom ive heard good things about those and its tube driven which is a definite plus. my buddy owns one he loves it

yeah, this video has Despised Icon playing guitar and Bass with Kustom 75watt amps
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFcHa3tSZcg
Note good part starts at 1:16

I just want the amp to sound like that vid, with a good distortion pedal of course such as Dime Distortion
Oh the Kustom is a tube amp? That's good, but 75 TUBE watts will be hard to get a usable tone out of at home. That's a lot of power, man. Cranking that thing at home will be a toughie unless you get an attenuator or something.
Ben
Most of the ones I looked at were tube combo's,

Quote by GoreGalore

Quote by muffinman123192
Oh the Kustom is a tube amp? That's good, but 75 TUBE watts will be hard to get a usable tone out of at home. That's a lot of power, man. Cranking that thing at home will be a toughie unless you get an attenuator or something.

I'm not gona crank it up high, just need the speaker sizes of those power amps

But I still fail to learn whats the best amp for home use when not in a studio
Quote by GoreGalore
Most of the ones I looked at were tube combo's,

I'm not gona crank it up high, just need the speaker sizes of those power amps

But I still fail to learn whats the best amp for home use when not in a studio

The Vox and Cube aren't tube amps.

That B-52 is good for high gain but it isn't a practice amp
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Quote by timi_hendrix
The Vox and Cube aren't tube amps.

That B-52 is good for high gain but it isn't a practice amp

haha well I just need something to sound good at home I didnt say they were tubes but tube combo's as the title says on them
The Kustom is not a tube amp, it's a hybrid, which means one tube and solid state everything else. That said, Kustoms are quite good amplifiers. Cleans are AMAZING. However, for heavy, heavy death metal, as you say, it won't be able to do that much gain. It's got a great distortion for something in the AC/DC range, but not much anything more than that.
Well, if what he (guy above me) says about the Kustom is true, then it seems as though the Cube is the only option here.

EDIT: There are no tube amps up there. Unless the Kustom is, I'm confused. All I know is that the Cube, Valvetronix, and MG are not tube.
Ben
Quote by GoreGalore
haha well I just need something to sound good at home I didnt say they were tubes but tube combo's as the title says on them

Ok, I think you're misunderstanding the meaning of tube.

Those three amps are solid state combos.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
death metal? i certainly missed that lol

edit: yeah.... *feels dumb* how the heck did i miss "heavy heavy death metal" in bold lol

edit 2: ok well for the price range i don't think you'll be getting any quiet tube amps with enough gain for death metal so roland cubes or the vox valvetronix XL series would be your best bet i think. make sure it's XL if you are looking at the vox though (black grill cloth) the regular ones don't have enough gain for what you want.
Last edited by Storm_Bringer_ at Aug 15, 2007,
Quote by timi_hendrix
Good amp, but no. He needs a practice amp for death metal that has a 12" speaker.

Not everybody needs valve all the time

yep, someone's actually reading haha

I'll probally go into the Roland cube 60 most likely, but was just wondering if there were others to look at that would be good quality, yeah well you dont necessairly need much gain in an amp for deathmetal when you have a good distortion pedal with good middles but the amp does need some gain

see im trying to find the brand for amps that are in the 60 to 75 watt range that are good as Ernie Ball Strings are in the string world, but for the amp world
sounds like the cube to me for t3h br00talz.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
the peavey XXX super 40 would be great for metal, its got 40 watts all tube,and a 12 inch speaker, this thing can sound good at low volumes, but can out-volume some solid state half stacks. its got great gain and 2(or 3? i think?) channels. it is over your price range,(800-850 i think) but it would be awesome, dont go for the cube or valvetronix, they wont give you a great sound compared to a tube.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey XXX 60 watt combo
Ibanez TS9 Tubescreamer

Quote by Twist of fate
You're not racist, only black people are.

Quote by clincher09
Ah yes, you have a condition that many guys live with and are affected by everyday. It's called a penis.