Page 1 of 3
i cant seem to combine lyrics with anything like a chord progression is there sumthin that can help me do that
well i have some riffs that i made up but i dont no how to combine them in a song if someone could suggust some techniques or musical theroy that would be appreciatited.
it can be pretty hard to put lyrics into music you already have, for me anyway i find it harder to do that rather than having lyrics sketched out first and then tryign to mould a tune around it... when you do that the song usually develops alot faster and can give you some pretty good results.. but thats just me i guess

If you are looking for lyrics to put under riffs etc then id advise you listen to the sequence very closely and see if it evokes a certain feeling or mood that might give you ideas or a basis to start writing on.
Arctic Monkeys fan club

I just started playing electric guitar should I get a Gabson Lay Pall or a Femdor Startokaster. I like the picks on the gabsons but i like how sweet femdors look. Beforre i get a gabson what company makes them?
Quote by sean1990strat
i cant seem to combine lyrics with anything like a chord progression is there sumthin that can help me do that

the only thing that can help you in this case is practice and improvisation. Say u have writtern the lyrics . First form a melody for it , then select the mode depending ur style and then try to sing it over chords in a certain key.Of course this is the case
when you have writtern lyrics first. In case u have chord progression just hum along with it and try to compose a melody in between that chord progression. Once u are aware of the melody that u are aiming for. You can sit down and write lyrics for it

Quote by brekin_99
well i have some riffs that i made up but i dont no how to combine them in a song if someone could suggust some techniques or musical theroy that would be appreciatited.

First of all hear what kind of effect the riff is generating . Wether it's sad or happy and depending on that write a song. Now as far as question on how to compose a whole song (instrumentally ) on that riff is concerned. there's no music theory behind it that i know . For instance Led Zep 's song Heartbreaker is totally based on that riff along with some interludes.; What u can do is play that whole riff again and again but on different notes but in a same key . Or u can do like Metallica did in Enter sandman . Play riff to set the mood and then throw some chord progressions or licks to sing on etc. hope this helps
Hi
Last edited by abhishek21 at Aug 16, 2007,
^ that's basically all I was going to say

except for one thing, now i'm a little different, i normally write my lyris and then let them go, i have a melody line when i'm writing them, that's it and THEN, i'll go and play my guitar and write a chord progression or a riff that I like and i'll mold them together, thankfully for me though, I have a fairly large vocal range so I can work with a lot of things but otherwise just do what abhishek21 says, he knows what he's on about.

I didn't write my first song with music until i'd been writing for about one and a half years because I was just learning how to write, when you're starting out, things that you think are awesome, when you look back on them, arne't all that great, almost everything I wrote in the first one and most of my second years of writing I will never use fully as a song, maybe a verse here or there, a chorus somewhere, so don't be so eager to put music to your songs if you don't want to, its' all about finding your style and working with it, sometimes it's harder to find than other times.

Just because you listen to one style of music doesn't mean you're going to write like that, I listened to a HEAP of blink 182 when i was starting and now I only rarely write pop/rock songs, it's more acoustic, so just experiment.

Good luck
Need Singing Advice?; Read the first page then ask questions.

Quote by punkman_123
Damn Auals, you're messed up. :P

Quote by ZanasCross
This just reminded me of the time that my brother in law texted his mom on the night after his wedding. All it said was "Consummated."
How to write a song in 6 easy steps -

1. Make sure you know G, Em, C, D. Am is also good.
2. Buy a capo.
3. Stick it on the guitar on any fret and play in G using above chords in pretty much any combination.
4. Write some lyrics about sex. Be descriptive. (See the inspiration thread)
5. Learn to sing falsetto, it makes you sound very clever and it's easy.
6. If this is impossible, then give up and learn bass.
"You can never quarantine the past."
People who use patterns like that sometimes (i don't say always, just sometimes) sound the same, eventually, no matter where you put the capo you'll still have the same sort of feeling to your songs, PLUS you get bored REALLY quickly, i started experimenting with my chords, different tunings, my newest songs is tuned EADGDA, just experiment, find what you like, doing what the guy above said sometimes works, it's just about finding your own "groove"
Need Singing Advice?; Read the first page then ask questions.

Quote by punkman_123
Damn Auals, you're messed up. :P

Quote by ZanasCross
This just reminded me of the time that my brother in law texted his mom on the night after his wedding. All it said was "Consummated."
Were you slightly drunk when you wrote that Andy cause that isn't great advice. If you write everything using those chords it will sound like any other song ever written. Use other chords, augmented chords, major7 chords. If you play all open D-C-E-G it will sound boring.

Lyrics don't have to be about sex to be good. You can make allusions to sexual situations which will sound clever and witty. If you write: I sexed you up monday morning...cold wind on our naked bodies...it just sounds meh.

And you can just quit making comments about bass like that. It's technically a very very complicated instrument and most failed guitarists that pick up bass can't do well on it either. Don't diss the bass man.
Quote by sean1990strat

Try this,
play the peace of music over and over at lease 5 to 10 times
(or record it and play it back )
then don't put words to it, but try humming a melody to it.
intell you feel that all the peaces fall into place then put words to melody.
Good Luck
OMNISIN
SDMF
Quote by broken_bottles
How to write a song in 6 easy steps -

1. Make sure you know G, Em, C, D. Am is also good.
2. Buy a capo.
3. Stick it on the guitar on any fret and play in G using above chords in pretty much any combination.
4. Write some lyrics about sex. Be descriptive. (See the inspiration thread)
5. Learn to sing falsetto, it makes you sound very clever and it's easy.
6. If this is impossible, then give up and learn bass.

if not about sex then how miserable you are everyone seems to do that these days and dont forget to twiddle about each chord with the little finger to give it some depth
Last edited by majikmik at Nov 1, 2007,
in all honesty there are many ways but u must have a big undertanding about music and its... as i call energy e.g. say you have just finished a song and it sounds kool but nothing comes to minde well look into the song and ask your self what kinde of message is the right thing to put here... if its a dark song then dark lyrics will do well if its a livley song livley lyrics or comedy lyrics or if its just a fast throttle metal or rock song somthing about revenge or how mutch u hate somone or somthing... other way is to look at a set of lyrics

(note do not structure the lyrics) e.g.

VERSE 1
bla bla bla

Chorus
Bla bla bla

Instrumental

na dont do that it requires more thinking power. just write the lyrics as a storey then look at them and play a riff in your head whylst reading and it shuld all come togeather

duno if this has helped but there are many more ways but im not saying no more unless there is a comfortble fee :P jkin hope this helped someone
ok one more tip for ya... lol if u hit a gap say u have 3 bars in a vers and a tail at the end of the 3 bars (a diffrant riff to end the vers and kik off another part) simple hold some words threw and try lift the vocals music goes up ure vocal pitch goes up too thats a more simple way
After reading all this. I have nothing to ask, or input really.

I'm sorta new, (I made a profile a long time ago but only recently started using it)

so if anyone wasnts to talk, it would be appreciated I love talking to fellow musicians
I've just started writing songs and I think my first one is pretty good and I'm working on two more. One thing I find helpfull is don't try to write the song. Let the song write itself. Don't try to figure out what the song could be about, just write some chords down. If you like it then good, now put it aside for later use. Keep writing the tunes to your songs then one of your best friends ticks you and it really affects your life. If you really feel it lyrics should take no more than about a half an hour.Hope this helps!!!!!!!!
Quote by TheCondoms
it can be pretty hard to put lyrics into music you already have, for me anyway i find it harder to do that rather than having lyrics sketched out first and then tryign to mould a tune around it... when you do that the song usually develops a lot faster and can give you some pretty good results.. but thats just me i guess

Wow that's interesting because i can not write lyrics then music- probably just because i've got so many tunes that i don't have words for.
this is how i do it. depending on wat comes to me first. if i get a cool riff in my head then ill write based on that. but if i get an idea for lyrics then ill write based on that. it all depends on what comes to u first. but basically just fool around with wat sounds good and original. itll come to u eventually
I have no problem come up with lyrics once i have the melody (vocal tune), but is trying to think of the melody that gets me in trouble

any hints or tips?
Quote by brekin_99

•first of all you must make your lyrics by making a lyrics first.,
•then you use your imagination of the chord that would fit your lyrics.,
•while making the chords write it down so you can edit the other chords.,
•make the finishing touches like adding octaves, bass adlibs, and offbeats to make
the song more beautiful.,

support from Detail City Band
•first of all you must make your lyrics by making a lyrics first.,
•then you use your imagination of the chord that would fit your lyrics.,
•while making the chords write it down so you can edit the other chords.,
•make the finishing touches like adding octaves, bass adlibs, offbeats, and also add your riff to make the song more beautiful.,

support from Detail City Band
[/COLOR
Just try to stick to the first, third, and fifth note in a scale to start with. If that sounds really boring, which it probably will, throw in the second, fourth, and seventh note. Then throw in little old six if you must.

Also, if you have two songs you're working on at once, try to transpose one of them and tweak them a little bit to try and make them fit together. It might not work, but I find it helps me.
i need some lyrics for a song called >will you < and i got the chords and i just need some little helping lyrics and its a acoustic song
If you already have the structure of the song laid out, i find it helpful to just hum along while you play to find the rhythm you think the vocals should take. once you've figured that out, its much easier to find words that match the rhythm and will fit into your song.
where do i start? music first, or lyrics first?
does a good song have to rhyme?
Quote by TheCondoms
it can be pretty hard to put lyrics into music you already have, for me anyway i find it harder to do that rather than having lyrics sketched out first and then tryign to mould a tune around it... when you do that the song usually develops alot faster and can give you some pretty good results.. but thats just me i guess

If you are looking for lyrics to put under riffs etc then id advise you listen to the sequence very closely and see if it evokes a certain feeling or mood that might give you ideas or a basis to start writing on.

What idiot wrote that...That quote you have
Quote by JasonJ31
i need some lyrics for a song called >will you < and i got the chords and i just need some little helping lyrics and its a acoustic song

Ill try to help...if you send a recording to my email or post your video on youtube and send me the url ill help you...and if we finish that you could compose some stuff for a song im writing..i could add some bass to it? It never hurts anything..
I just like to start off a song by making up a little riff on my guitar or bass, and then build from there. You can do it vice versa too. Just start off with something small; three chords, for example. And take that and write something, maybe.
yea i want to write a song for my girlfriend that actually means something and i dont knnow what tuning would sound best. . .any advice?

easier said than done ........humming a melody is alot easier i feel.....easier to mould something more worthwhile out of...............

but thats just BOTTOM TALK!
I find it realtively easy to sing along with my guitar when I play.
But I find it really difficult to write lyrics and then try and put a tune to them. Anyone got any tips?
no, see you should write something. And if the lyrics flow right with what your sining then it'll probably work out. Or just keep changing the way you're doing your vocals until it works. Make variations, not everything works just because you think it will, or you think it'll sound good. Sometimes you might think of a melody but then when you try it doesn't work. Just keep working with it and eventually all the pieces will come together.
nevermind_111 you should write the music before hand. Then write the lyrics. This way you can try to find lyrics that fit the musical structure. And if you're having trouble with lyrics, then start simple, try to write a story
First of all, I always make the melody first (Otherwise it just never seems to work!) Ok, so I have a few tips here:

1. Get Guitar Pro or something similar - It's like a holy grail
2. Use Guitar Pro (Otherwise It's useless)
3. One easy way of solving this is creating a riff you really like, no matter how complex then blend it into some really simple verse notes (that are often very repetitive). The listen to the song and put words in where they fit.
4. Using Guitar Pro create an extra track that fits into the piece where verses and choruses go - there's your vocals. Experiment with the settings of the instrument to replicate the style of vocals
5. Create lyrics that fit with the mood (Not many heavy metal song are about rabbits)
The way i do is when i write lyrics, i sing them while writing them.
So i've already got a tune in my head while writing the lyrics.
Then i try to figure out what sorta music would go well with the "singing" (of the lyrics).
Once i know what to do, i **** around till i find something that works.
Put the music with the "singing" lyrics. And there you've got a song!

But i spend most time figure out what sorta music would suit the lyrics. Once i've got that figured out, the music after that comes very easily cuz you know exactly what you're looking for.
I try to figure out everything, the drums, guitars, bass and all. I sorta like sing out the riff, beats and all so basically i've got the whole song composed in my head and beat boxed before i get to writing it on instruments.
Quote by Emperor's Child
First of all, I always make the melody first (Otherwise it just never seems to work!) Ok, so I have a few tips here:

1. Get Guitar Pro or something similar - It's like a holy grail
2. Use Guitar Pro (Otherwise It's useless)
3. One easy way of solving this is creating a riff you really like, no matter how complex then blend it into some really simple verse notes (that are often very repetitive). The listen to the song and put words in where they fit.
4. Using Guitar Pro create an extra track that fits into the piece where verses and choruses go - there's your vocals. Experiment with the settings of the instrument to replicate the style of vocals
5. Create lyrics that fit with the mood (Not many heavy metal song are about rabbits)
I've never gotten into the Guitar Pro method of writing a song.. Maybe I'm just old fashioned but for me songs have always started with an acoustic guitar, humming out a melody, then writing words. And then I'll build on the song and add parts from there.

Quote by Koaphagia
no, see you should write something. And if the lyrics flow right with what your sining then it'll probably work out. Or just keep changing the way you're doing your vocals until it works. Make variations, not everything works just because you think it will, or you think it'll sound good. Sometimes you might think of a melody but then when you try it doesn't work. Just keep working with it and eventually all the pieces will come together.
The flaw with that, though, is that along the way little pieces of the original lyrics get chopped off to fit your newfound melody.. And because of that, it just becomes a poem that was twisted, contorted and shoved into a piece of music. Unless you're writing spoken word songs, it's not going to work as nicely as you believe it will.
Last edited by suthy16 at Mar 18, 2008,
Im not that great with melodies.

I tend to sing in the key of whatever chord is being played. Otherwise I usually mess up, unless I REALLY REALLY have the song down.

Any tips?
I've got tons of lyrics I'm the singer in my band that plays limited guitar, but it seems like a bad idea to get a tune in your head before you get a progression or riff down. I can't imagine trying to write something on guitar to try and coincide with a tune for the vocalist but I also can't put a tune to a chord progression or riff so anyone got ne advice for lyrics then chord progression then melody method.
Page 1 of 3