Use the search button please. There are 5 threads like this each day.
Brokeback Lego - Animation Movie I Made

Quote by \GuitarHero/
Our band mascot is a Muffin.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who aren't close-minded morons.
Look at the beginning of a song between the clef and the Time Signature... that is the key...
Last edited by Beowulf 2112 at Aug 15, 2007,
Quote by Beowulf 2112
Do you people not know even rudimentary Music Theory? Look at the beginning of a song between the clef and the Time Signature... that is the key...

I hate condescending and arrogant people like you.
Overhead the albatross hangs motionless upon the air

My Gear:
1981 Gibson Spirit
1979 Ovation Balladeer
1999 Jay Turser JT 72F
1981 Fender Strat

Messa Boogie 60 watt tube
Marshall 12 watt practise amp
Quote by Beowulf 2112
Ok?

You've even edited your post to make yourself look like less of a prick and me more of one, unfortunately for you i quoted the first one. So, you do infact look like an absolute loser.
Overhead the albatross hangs motionless upon the air

My Gear:
1981 Gibson Spirit
1979 Ovation Balladeer
1999 Jay Turser JT 72F
1981 Fender Strat

Messa Boogie 60 watt tube
Marshall 12 watt practise amp
Quote by Beowulf 2112
Look at the beginning of a song between the clef and the Time Signature... that is the key...

What if you've come up with something yourself and don't know whuch key signature to give it? That advice doesn't help in the majority of situations.
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
Quote by The Wanton
I hate condescending and arrogant people like you.

Welcome to the Ultimate-Guitar forum.
dno wt ur on about i havent edited my post, but i did type my thread name into the search bar and it did say there were no matches, i tryed to find the scale thread through the forum jumper thing but i couldnt find it!
so what are you going on about!
Quote by Beowulf 2112
Check your link next time you try to show someone off.

To TS. Not all songs would have a "key," alot of songs are written chormatically. But if songs do have a key, 9 times out of 10, the key would be either the first chord or the last chord of the song, sometimes both.

Another thing to remember is that dominant chords are usually the fifth degree of a song. So seven notes down from a dominant chord would be the major key of a song. Three notes down from that would be the minor key to a song.

Also, when two minor chords are in a song that are only one notes different (IE, C, G, Dm, Am, Em, F, C) the major chord is two notes down from the lowest one of those chords (Dm is the lowest of those two chords). So the key to that progression is C major.
This works the same way for the two major chords that are only two notes different from each other, F and G. Except this time, the key is 5 notes lower than the lowerst of those two major chords.

When I can't be stuffed thinking, I just use that wonderfull scalefinder tool in guitarpro.
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.