So I know these threads have been done over and over again, but I did search through the archives already and didn't really find the answer I was looking for.

I'm looking for a new bass to replace my squier I started on 3 years ago. I have gotten much better since then, and am looking for a fairly big upgrade.
Here is my previous bass.

Now I mostly play hard rock music (metallica, megadeth, etc) but sometimes I also like to play some jazz and funk (although not often).

I'm looking for something, preferably a 5-string, that has a great metal sound but is still fairly versatile. I've looked around in my local area, but it doesn't have that many options to look at outside of Fender, although I have looked at a few Spectors at a local shop.

Since I'm going to need to head up to a major city to seriously look at the different options I have, I was hoping you guys could help me plan ahead what all I need to look at.

My price range is anything below ~$1200, although I prefer to keep it closer to $800.

Thanks in advance guys!
Fender Jazz 24 V

Pretty much exactly what you're looking for.
Quote by RJayZ
Fender Jazz 24 V

Pretty much exactly what you're looking for.

You just can't go wrong. However, if you do indeed let your budget hit the $1200 area, you can look into MIA and used MIA Deluxe Fenders.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Nice sig, Fitz. :P

Also, Opifex, I don't know but I -think- you might be able to afford a Stingray with $1200? I don't know the American price of them >_> maybe used? Though I imagine a Fender Jazz 24/Deluxe would suit you more. Though if you're not a fender fan, I'd definately reccomend a Stingray.

Or, if you want all metal, you could look into ESP? I'm, personally, not a fan of them(anymore), but metal musicians swear by them and their EMG pickups, so look into them.
A Music Man Bongo can give you a lot of tones. They go for as cheap as $700 on eBay and around $1000 on the Ernie Ball forums. What amp are you using though? If your amp isn't very good you should consider spending a bit of money on a better one.
Quote by DaveMustaine08
Quote by puppetmaster917
I think white people are better than black people.
While this statement is kinda racist and straightforward, it does have many FACTS to back it up lolz.

Quote by aixelsydevahi
A Music Man Bongo can give you a lot of tones. They go for as cheap as $700 on eBay and around $1000 on the Ernie Ball forums. What amp are you using though? If your amp isn't very good you should consider spending a bit of money on a better one.

Currently I am running through a Fender Rumble 100 amp, so I think I'm pretty good on the amp side. It was the first thing I upgraded about a year ago, and that certainly helped my old bass sound SO much better.
esp man. if your main thing is metal and rock, dont go fender. dont get me wrong, they are some of the best basses, but the look and feel it brings dosent exactly fit with the genera. i play an esp 5 string, (sorry i forget exactly what its called, i dont have it here right now....its at my church) and i use it for fairly everything (im big into lamb of god and slayer stuff, but i play a little slap and contemp. praise music - go figure). its a good bass, not that expensive, and personally i like the body size better (its a little smaller than the average fender). long story short, go with what you feel. find a used place or a guitar center or something, and play everything untill one works for you - feel, looks, tone, and price.
sizzlefizzle wrote:

wow, that list blows.
^ I don't know... Jason Newsted's Sadowsky basses are pretty much high-end Jazz bass clones. Sheehan rocks a nice P-Bass looking dealie, too (although his metal is a bit hairier than most).
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
A good 5-string for metal? Look on ebay for an Alvarez electric bass. They stopped making them back in the 90's, but I have yet to find a better sounding bass for metal and heavy stuff. They have carbon-fiber reinforced necks but go for less than $600 on ebay. If I wasn't such a Fender ***** I'd own ten of them.
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
What are you guys' opinion of some of the other brands of bass? Some of the ones I wanted to check out were Gibson, Spector, Schector, and Ibanez. Our selection at the local music stores is basically all fender, so I've never got a chance to play any of them.
Gibson, I personally, find horrid. Though some look cool.

Spector is pretty good, I've not played one personally but my friend highly praises them.

Schector are amazing. Very, very good basses, but I just prefer Fender. I'm not a fan of EMG pick ups as of late so I didn't pursue one, but they are good basses.

Ibanez are...interesting. They're basically designed for failed guitarists, the necks are stupidly thin. However, some of their basses are quite nice. The ATK for example is a pretty nice bass, but, as I'm sure thefitz will point out: It's basically a Fender knockoff.
Quote by RJayZ
Gibson, I personally, find horrid. Though some look cool.

Spector is pretty good, I've not played one personally but my friend highly praises them.

Schector are amazing. Very, very good basses, but I just prefer Fender. I'm not a fan of EMG pick ups as of late so I didn't pursue one, but they are good basses.

Ibanez are...interesting. They're basically designed for failed guitarists, the necks are stupidly thin. However, some of their basses are quite nice. The ATK for example is a pretty nice bass, but, as I'm sure thefitz will point out: It's basically a Fender knockoff.

Well, about the ATK, it's a Fe... oh, nevermind.
Quote by Cody_Grey102