well im trying to learn the song sea of lies by symphony x and at the tapping solo after the main solo bit it goes something like this

||-15p14p12---------------------12h14h15p14p12---------------------12h14h15p14p12-|
||--------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
||----------16p12p11p9h11h12h16----------------16p12p11p9h11h12h16----------------|
||--------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

and im having trouble hitting the 12th fret on E string, is it just supposed to be hammered on hard enough so that you can hear it with ure fretting hand? because everytime i try the note hardly sounds at all =/
<Raven> I got so baked last night
<Raven> that I WOKE UP high o_o
<Raven> Do you have any idea how euphoric that is?
<Raven> I felt like I was being born.
I think it's supposed to be hammered on hard enough to hear. And yes, it's bloody hard to get clean hammers from nowhere. Good luck. And possibly check out the end of 2 in my sig.
I think Michael Romeo is a just a really good string-skipper.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
^ sure, but how does he do it that well? We aren't wondering how good he is, we're trying to reach that level ourselves, which is a different matter altogether, innit?

(no offense intended if that comes off as sarky or preachy)
yeah obviously he is good at pretty much everything lol... i want to know HOW
Quote by Freepower
^ sure, but how does he do it that well? We aren't wondering how good he is, we're trying to reach that level ourselves, which is a different matter altogether, innit?

(no offense intended if that comes off as sarky or preachy)

Yeah, but what I'm saying is that I don't think it's hammering-on hard enough to ring out, I think he's just crossing strings really quickly, which I thought was the original question.
Quote by dudetheman

Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
Yeah, but what I'm saying is that I don't think it's hammering-on hard enough to ring out, I think he's just crossing strings really quickly, which I thought was the original question.

so in other words, you think he's picking that note?
Youtube covers

[url="http://www.youtube.com/user/MrJumboHumbo[/URL"]
What I do to make hammer-ons from nowhere sound good: tap the string, and pull-off towards the sky, not the floor.
^ That just works for me. Maybe because of the neck-shape, I don't know.
Quote by Night_Lights
so in other words, you think he's picking that note?

Quite.
Quote by dudetheman

yeah sry i meant to put in the original post that ive seen him do it, he definately doesnt pick it, its like whenever i hammer on from nowhere it just sounds rly "thin"
Yeah, it's definitly just hammered on, don't know why people would assume you pick it.

If you want to get really good at hammering on, you can try throwing on some heavier gauge strings and practicing it on those. The only reason I can do sections like those at all are that I'm a bassist first and guitarist second, and learning Stu Hamm and Victor Wooten passages really train you for it. If you have a bass available to you, practice with it. If not, throw some 13s on your guitar and put it in D standard, then work on the Sea of Lies section.
yeah i can play most all of sea of lies except for that tapping part lol well i CAN play it with picking those top notes but obviously thats not how its done