I've been having trouble trying to figure out exactly how I should alt pick. Do I move my wrist? Just the arm? Wrist stays firm? Etc. My goal is to, before this year is over, be able to alt pick at speeds fast enough to play some crazy rock (my particular song goal for that awe of she from guilty gear ).

I'm also not understanding exactly how to alt strum chords, and how to play chords fast without increasing the volume dramatically.

Any advice on those two subjects?
Quote by BlazeWizard
I've been having trouble trying to figure out exactly how I should alt pick. Do I move my wrist? Just the arm? Wrist stays firm? Etc. My goal is to, before this year is over, be able to alt pick at speeds fast enough to play some crazy rock (my particular song goal for that awe of she from guilty gear ).

I'm also not understanding exactly how to alt strum chords, and how to play chords fast without increasing the volume dramatically.

Any advice on those two subjects?

All the movement should come from your wrist, and I don't know if either of them have close-ups in their videos, but Shawn Lane and Paul Gilbert both have the best alt. picking technique I can think of right now.

If you work on alt. picking to a metronome seriously for a year you should be able to pick extremely well, just takes time and practice.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
yes, just use your wrist, your arm shouldnt move at all, and just your wrist moves, also do it gently, u can easily riff with the best of them using very little effort
The movement should mainly come from your wrist, but you can't pick really fast without using at least some arm movement. So if your arm moves a little it's ok. However, you do not want to lock up your wrist and simply move your arm up and down. Simply practice picking from the wrist and as you begin increasing speed you will notice your arm will kick in and assist. Just remember to always keep your wrist loose and not to lock it up. Remember to try and make the smallest movements possible when picking. Try not to sacrifice volume for less motion.

Here's are two vids.
Mr. Gilbert
http://youtube.com/watch?v=8YvsOKTPaks
Mr. Lane
http://youtube.com/watch?v=fOLZ6z959U8&mode=related&search=
Quote by tryhardslash
and plus you like blink 182 which prooves you are dumb and have no taste in music

you just follow trends

What a tard...
Last edited by JaYB06 at Aug 16, 2007,
Those videos were freaking amazing. So depressing.......LOL
as said before, pick a metronome and start at low speed and build that up. then go on chromatic then normal scales and eventually the most important part of it is string skipping. its hard but its worth it
the movement should come from where ever, you feel best/ can play best. most people play best with the movement coming from the wrist, however some prefer to use there wrist. i use my wrist
yoyoyuyo

Guitars.........................Amp.................Pedals (getting new)
Ibanez S470................Laney VC15.....Boss DS-1 (it's bad)
PRS SE Soapbar II
Ibanez aw15 acoustic
Quote by thesimo
lane has the weirdest alternate technique ever :s

Shawn Lane had some of the best picking technique ever.

How exactly is it wierd?

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
cuz it looks like he has his wrist off the bridge a lot of the time, which id imagine is incredibly difficult to do
Both Paul Gilbert and Shawn Lane do not anchor their hands on the bridge when playing.
Quote by tryhardslash
and plus you like blink 182 which prooves you are dumb and have no taste in music

you just follow trends

What a tard...
Quote by thesimo
cuz it looks like he has his wrist off the bridge a lot of the time, which id imagine is incredibly difficult to do

That's what made him so good: no anchoring = perfect technique, Shawn Lane was as close as anyone's ever going to get.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
The thing to remember about guitar is it is NEVER all wrist, and NEVER all elbow(arm). When picking you use I'd say 90-95% wrist and slight slight arm movements to keep from having to stretch your wrist too bad. When strumming you are about 80% elbow and you rotate your wrist slightly as you hit the strings. But you should never lock up your wrist or elbow no matter what.

And to the person who said they are weird because they don't anchor... You should try it, it's pretty damn hard, but a lot cleaner, and it will result in better ability to play faster. I can fly and not hit a wrong string if I anchor, but it isn't good technique, so I go through my troubles of hitting the wrong strings while I learn.
Quote by eXperiment63
The thing to remember about guitar is it is NEVER all wrist, and NEVER all elbow(arm). When picking you use I'd say 90-95% wrist and slight slight arm movements to keep from having to stretch your wrist too bad. When strumming you are about 80% elbow and you rotate your wrist slightly as you hit the strings. But you should never lock up your wrist or elbow no matter what.

And to the person who said they are weird because they don't anchor... You should try it, it's pretty damn hard, but a lot cleaner, and it will result in better ability to play faster. I can fly and not hit a wrong string if I anchor, but it isn't good technique, so I go through my troubles of hitting the wrong strings while I learn.

I would agree with that if you agree with this rephrasing:

The picking motion should come from the wrist, but the arm should be used to change strings, yes?

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Depends on how many strings you are moving. If it's just on 2-3 strings your arm shouldn't have to move. But yes, when you are doing a run across all 6 strings, you use your arm to slightly move your hands to keep the motion fluid.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

The picking motion should come from the wrist, but the arm should be used to change strings, yes?

Absolutely.
epic7734
sorry if this is a dumb question, but why would you anchor your hand onto the bridge? and how would you do that without muting the strings? im sure theres a method , is it beneficial?
Anchoring is never beneficial in the long run. You anchor on the backside of the bridge, behind the saddles.

It allows you more accuracy when you are first starting to learn, but it sacrifices speed. It's a bad habit to get into, because then you have to relearn everything anyways. So don't even bother with anchoring.