People always seem to focus on who the best bass player is, and it never ends well. There is no best, it's all subjective, yadda yadda yadda. But what about this?

If you were to put one bassist in a time capsule, who would it be? In 10,000 years, when global warming kills us all and aliens inhabit this nice warm planet, when they stumble upon your time capsule, who would be in it? Who would you want the aliens to know as the definition of bass playing? If you think about it, this has little to do with whose the best, because I wouldn't want the aliens to see Bill Dickens' double thumping and have them thinking this is what bass playing is all about. Who do you think has the best mix of technique and musicality that you would consider the definition of a bass player?

Secondly, what song would you put in that time capsule to show the aliens "well this is a bass line?" I love Manthing, but I wouldn't put Enormous Room in there. What song would you put? It doesn't necessarily have to be from the artist you put in the time capsule.

Personally, I think John Entwistle would be the person I'd put in the capsule. He could play, he was all about the bass, and he had that stereotypical bassist's demeanour that's a bit tongue in cheek, because he was the best player in any of the bands he was in.

When it comes to songs, I would plunk Jump Into The Fire by Harry Nilsson in there. I think it's the perfect bass line. If some alien listened to it, they'd know what the bass is all about.

Anyway, what say you all?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
i would put myself in it...i dont want to die from global warming.
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
pete wentz for the bassist
and dance dance by fall out boy for the song

=]

ok joking aside...

personally, id put justin chancellor and his thousands of effects pedals in, he could make some cyber sounds to entertain the aliens =]

i dont know about the song, YYZ by rush maybe?
I would put James Jameson in. He did what bassists were supposed to do, and he was freakin' good at it.

Not sure what I'd put in for a bassline.
Interesting idea for a thread.

For something like this, it would have to be something classic. James Jamerson, Heard It Through The Grapevine with a Fender Precision Bass.
This thread is pointless, because we all know that global warming is a myth created by Al Gore and the liberal media to make Americans worry about how much fuel they are consuming and create anti-Bush sentiment. Duh.

Anyways, kidding aside, I agree that Entwistle would be a great choice. However, and I know plenty of you would disagree with me, I would choose Flea, because he combines everything to a above average level. He has enough technique to do a lot of lines very well, the lines that he does always compliment the song perfectly, he has more stage prescene than most singers. And he just clicks with his band. Watching/listening to the Chili Peppers jam, for me at least, is just amazing. The way he and John play off of each is incomparable to any other guitarist/bassist team. And he alwasy manages to work very well with the beat that Chad puts down.

Hwoever, for a bassline, I have no idea where to begin. There are just far too many choices.
Quote by Evil_Jim43
Geekis, you are truly the Ghandi of our time

Quote by thefitz
Man, I really have to stop sigging you...

My blog:
http://david-hates.blogspot.com/
Quote by Scourge441
I would put James Jameson in. He did what bassists were supposed to do, and he was freakin' good at it.

Not sure what I'd put in for a bassline.

I couldn't possibly agree with you more. And for a bassline, What's Going On would suffice.
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
as for the player, John Entwistle. my second and third choices would be Geddy Lee, the Hebrew Hammer, and Chris Squire(the reason i play bass). the song would probably be, Never Been Any Reason, by Headeast. they were a one hit wonder, but that song will live forever, imo.

to thefitz, thank you. we have needed some fresh ideas for threads, good job.
c'mon people,(including myself). we need a fresh approach to thread starting!
Quote by 83lespaulstudio
as for the player, John Entwistle. my second and third choices would be Geddy Lee, the Hebrew Hammer, and Chris Squire(the reason i play bass). the song would probably be, Never Been Any Reason, by Headeast. they were a one hit wonder, but that song will live forever, imo.

You know what? I was worried people would start yelling at me for allegedly tarting up a 'best bassist/song' thread.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Bassist: Les Claypool

Song: Music Of The Wind by Jamiroquai. Stuart Zender's lines in that song are phenomenal.
I'd stick geddy lee in there with portrait of tracy, though it would be pretty awesome to be able to lock pete wentz in a small box underground for 10,000 years. That would show him.
Check out 8-Bit Trip!
www.myspace.com/8BitTrip

-·-·-·[ Music Squirrel ]·-·-·-

Also, get on my profile and friend me, bitches!
I would put in Flea most likely. I think he has gerat technical ability, obviously, but then there's plenty of songs like Otherside which he just made up perfect basslines, which compliment everything brilliantly.

Second and third would be John Deacon and then John Entwistle probably

Song would probably be Otherside too, or maybe Bicycle Race or Crazy Little Thing Called Love

EDIT: I can't believe I completely forgot about Chris Wolstenholme, I'd put him above John Deacon, dunno who to choose between him and Flea though
Last edited by chocolateman900 at Aug 16, 2007,
Quote by JAS1121
shavo(soad)/mind

underappriciated but damn good

dot dot dot

I'd say throw Geddy Lee in there. As for song i'd pick sweet child o' mine. An odd choice perhaps, but it gives a perfect example of a great catchy bassline in a song known for it's iconic guitar work.
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
The song I'd pick would be Money. It never gets old. As for a bassist, I'd pick John Paul Jones.
Quote by DaveMustaine08
Quote by puppetmaster917
I think white people are better than black people.
While this statement is kinda racist and straightforward, it does have many FACTS to back it up lolz.

I'm torn between JPJ and Jaco
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
Quote by 83lespaulstudio

Who?
Link please.

For an artist I'm torn between the three J's.. (Jaco, JPJ, J. Entwistle).
For the line, either The Lemon Song, Rhayader by Camel, or Good Morning Little School Girl by The Grateful Dead.
For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race toward an early grave.

Ben Hamelech
I'd send Stuart Zender in, I think. He can play bass as it's meant to be played and really lay down a groove and rythm for the whole song to follow which would show the bass's true purpose, and then he could go crazy with some nice fills, pops and slaps, and show that a bass can do more than just be a rythmic instrument.

As for song...hmm, that's hard. I think What's Goin On, because the bass really leads that song, and still does some great fills here and there. It's the perfect example of bass, imo.

Good thread btw :].
Im not sure about bass player...but definitely YYZ for song. Im not even a huge Geddy fan, but that song defines bass playing for me.
Quote by BassistGal
Who?
Link please.

Geddy Lee is Jewish...but I've never seen him called the "Hebrew Hammer"
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
Quote by Confused4930
Geddy Lee is Jewish...but I've never seen him called the "Hebrew Hammer"

Maybe he's talking about Ryan Braun?
definately the ox john entwistle as for a song, my generation for the first rock bass solo
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
John entwistle or geddy,

as for the song, probably my generation by the who or YYZ by Rush
Member of the "Shoop Da Woop" club, PM to Join
Last edited by pie_man_25 at Aug 16, 2007,
Quote by Geekis_Khan
...I was thinking of... The Hebrew Hammer.

Not sure what that has to do with bass, though.

I've heard Geddy called the Hebrew Hammer. However I also heard a similar nickname for Captain Beefheart's bassist on his last few albums.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
John Myung, and I dunno...Sea of Lies(symphony x) as the song?