I decided to go used and bought a second hand guitar and amp. Guitar is perfect in my opinion but theres something with the amp that's starting to bother me.

First off it's a Marshall Valvestate VS30R. When I play it clean, it sounds perfect. When I go on overdrive there's a weird sort of humming/echo that I get when I play more than one string, or when I pluck one string then immedietly go to another, I get that weird sound.

I don't seem to be getting the right sound when I'm strumming on over drive. I can hear some of it but it's really being covered by that humming/echo thing. Is it just a bad amp or is it me? There's a lot of knobs maybe I just need to adjust it properly?

I don't know help
sounds like you don't know how to work knobs, turn your reverb off if you have it, and learnt o use settings properly, and that should work, iff not go get it checked out
Gear:
Jackson DKMG Dinky (EMG 81/85)
Ibanez GIO (i put a Dimbucker in the bridge)
Crate GT65 (65 watts) to be upgraded soon, suggestions welcome (must be tubed)
Floor Pod (for sale)
Quote by CraigKing
You might need new valves.

Do you have a link on how to replace them? Is it expensive? Maybe I can get my guitar teacher to help out. ONly had 1 lesson so far, more to come

Quote by ChaoticVengence
sounds like you don't know how to work knobs, turn your reverb off if you have it, and learnt o use settings properly, and that should work, iff not go get it checked out

Ya it's off and yes I don't really know what I'm doing, I just started a couple weeks ago
It doesn't apply to you, but to check if you have bought a bad amp in the future, all you need do is look for the name "Line 6" on the front.

I had what I think is the problem you're having. They're called clashing notes. If your guitar sounds like http://youtube.com/watch?v=IjHpn5DdXm8 (eg. when he plays the second note in the introducton it mushes together), then that's perfectly normal and the reason why guitarists move their fingers immediately off frets when playing riffs.

If that's not it, I'd ask your teacher.
Quote by WlCmToTheJungle
if ur going to play some american idiot stuff heres the settings:

Master Volume : 0
i dunno about the rest
just ask your guitar teacher, and he can give you some good setting for the stuff your into, turn your gain down if it's really up
Gear:
Floor Pod (for sale)
and it should sound the way your describing, it's electric guitar with distortion we're talking about, not an acoustic
Gear:
Floor Pod (for sale)
THAT AMP SUCKSSSSSSSSSSSS
WHY DI YOU BUY IT ?
ARE YOU STUPID ?
WTF !

lol jk
just had to do that
could just be a cheap amp my first amp was like 60$ squire sidekick or w/e and with the boost thing on it made the same sound
Quote by TeenBite
It doesn't apply to you, but to check if you have bought a bad amp in the future, all you need do is look for the name "Line 6" on the front.

I had what I think is the problem you're having. They're called clashing notes. If your guitar sounds like http://youtube.com/watch?v=IjHpn5DdXm8 (eg. when he plays the second note in the introducton it mushes together), then that's perfectly normal and the reason why guitarists move their fingers immediately off frets when playing riffs.

If that's not it, I'd ask your teacher.

Nah it doenst sound like that. Maybe I can record myself playing a bit so I can show you first hand.

No it wasn't that cheap for a used product lol Isn't Marshall suppsoed to be really good?
Quote by TeenBite

Sorry? What? Their HD147, is one of the best amps around. As is their Vetta series, their POD pedals and their effects pedals are fantastic.
OK...I gotta ask....what kinda guitar....I got a cheapo guitar the belongs to one of my wifes freinds daughter setting here that humms and buzzes like mad with any type of disto/OD..but perfectly clean when clean..
Quote by TeenBite

Line 6 makes very good products. Don't jump on bandwagons. The only big turds of amps they've released are the Spiders. Vettas and Flextones are great.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Well as the majority of Line 6's sales are made from Spiders (Pods also suck, just sounds digital, and for that price too...) I can make the statement that Line 6 sucks. Also, if I had the money to buy one of their flagship amps, I think I'd rather spend it on a non-digital stack.
Quote by WlCmToTheJungle
if ur going to play some american idiot stuff heres the settings:

Master Volume : 0
i dunno about the rest
Quote by lopheaded
OK...I gotta ask....what kinda guitar....I got a cheapo guitar the belongs to one of my wifes freinds daughter setting here that humms and buzzes like mad with any type of disto/OD..but perfectly clean when clean..

It's one of those guitars that's a copy of the Fender Statocaster. Looks exactly the same except it says RedFox on the head instead of Fender. It didnt hum or buzz at all on my guitar teachers amp.
try cleaning up by adjusting your tone knobs UP towards 10 on your guitar and on your amplifier. What pickup are you using?

_B_
"TONE ADDICT"