Alright, I got this idea today while listening to U2. And the recent comment in the Time Capsule thread made me think it'd be good to post, because we do need more different threads.

So, anyways, this isn't about you're favorite bassist or who you think is the best. This is about the bassist that you feel some sort of kinship to or realtionship with. Someone that you share some personal aspect with.

For me, it would be Adam Clayton of U2. First and foremost, when he joined U2, he hadn't been playing bass that long and he started out on guitar. That's true of myself as well.

But what really makes me feel a connection with him is that he's an Atheist in a band full of Christians (I'm not saying this to start any religious debates, just illustrating my connection). I am a devout Atheist, and in the last line-up of my band, I was alongside two devout Catholics and a devout Born-Again. (Right now it's just me and my Catholic singer/guitarist, though. Our drummer, whom we are trying to replace, moved to Florida, and our trumpeter, whom I hope we will not replace, is going to college.)

Anyways, U2 has many songs with more Christian-style lyrics. The fact that Clayton puts up with this and just plays bass has earned him much respect in my book for being that big of a man. While the other lyricist in my band has enough respect for me not to do Christian songs, I still become the odd-man-out, much like Clayton. Because of this, I've always felt a bit of a connection to him that I don't feel with other bassists.

Anyways, does anyone else have a bassist that they feel they share some kinship with, as well?

EDIT: Keep in mind, it doesn't have to be something that specific. Just share if you feel a connection to a bassist.
Quote by Evil_Jim43
Geekis, you are truly the Ghandi of our time

Quote by thefitz
Man, I really have to stop sigging you...

My blog:
http://david-hates.blogspot.com/
Last edited by Geekis_Khan at Aug 15, 2007,
That's pretty neat. I don't know, though. I don't really delve into the lives of bassists so much, so I can't really nail any commonalities between myself and them.
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
Eddie Beckinridge of Thrice...for reasons that I don't know myself :P
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
actually, come to think of it, I kind of feel this symbiotic link to Eric Avery. But I can't imagine why.
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
This is a very interesting thread. As cliche as it may seem, I feel somekind of resemblance to Jaco. The people that listened to my solo piece in sinan's thread may feel the influence. Sadly, I'm also bipolar. But when I started to play PoT and I had some issues with my girlfriend, Ingrid (which is also the name of Jaco's widow) I understood the feeling that PoT had in it (or at least I think I understand).
I remember reading that Jaco and Tracy had some issues, and Jaco came up with PoT and he played it from the other side of the room to Tracy when she took a bath. And personally I feel that PoT is extremely bittersweet because Jaco knew the relationship was dying, but those beautiful moments that they still had together made him full. And he came to the conclusion that it was just slipping away before his very eyes....
Or at least that's what I think about, could be wrong. And inspired by that I composed the Portrait of Ingrid (the piece on sinan's thread).

And as you may guessed Ingrid heard the song I composed for her, she loved it, we still had some beautiful moments, but she recently left me for another guy.
Last edited by watchingmefall at Aug 16, 2007,
this isn't easy, but i would have to say Mike Dirnt, of Greenday. i've played with the same guitar player for 16yrs. i have several other project bands, but me an "Alan" have been burning down the house, together for a long time. we play what we want to hear. if the crowd likes it, cool. if they don't, too bad. i have lots of bass playing friends, way better than me, that wish they had the chemistry, me and Alan share.
i can't replace him, and so far, he hasn't been able to replace me. in less than 15 minutes, we can transform a dull night of blues, into a packed dance floor full of fun.
if the band is having fun, so will the crowd. good thread!!
Dan Briggs, of BTBAM.
I can just get so into the music he writes, and he seems like the kinda guy I could just chill with. I mean, he gets up on stage in a t-shirt, basketball shorts, and he's barefoot, and just rocks the **** out of you. He's an inspiration.
I'd have to say Billy Hamilton of Silverstein. My style of playing is very similar to his. He has some harder stuff, but none of it is extremely amazing. I just like his writing style, it's sweet and simple with a few twists in there sometimes.
Add my Band: Silence in Stereo

"It hits me to wonder if this great feeling is what Christ knows when we surrender our broken hearts, when we trade death for life. " ~To Write Love on Her Arms~
That guy from Slayer. I haven't heard too much of their music, but he's like a full-on Christian in a band that sings about serial killers and Nazism and ****. I think it's cool that he just ignores that and plays bass.

Of course, I'm not saying you can hear him.
Mark Hoppus from Blink 182.

I play alot of his music and my writing style is relatively close to his and i also got my bass for a gift and earned the amp money from helping my dad paint.

=]
Johhny Christ of avenged sevenfold

He playsthe perfect style of music I like, he learned bass playing primus like me, hes the shrtest in his band (liek me)

haha
Quote by Hergiswi
That guy from Slayer. I haven't heard too much of their music, but he's like a full-on Christian in a band that sings about serial killers and Nazism and ****. I think it's cool that he just ignores that and plays bass.

Just for the record of irony, he usually writes the stuff about serial killers.
Quote by Evil_Jim43

Quote by thefitz

My blog:
Calling on another cliche, I will have to say Flea.
Although I will never know for sure if the stories I hear are true or not unless I get the chance to speak to him, I have read a sure load of stories about his childhood.
In all of them it described him as the troublemaker, always getting pulled up for ****, and yet he was a devout fan of classical music.
This has always struck me as odd, as this doesn't fit my steriotype of a classical music listener, as uneducated as that is.
I never fully appreciated a certain aspect of these stories though. It was the fact that even through everything that happened his music drew focus and eventually rocketed him to fame.
It was always nothing more than words to me, but as of now, I am getting done for allot of things which have no relevance with or to me, and it has had a serious effect on general things, but I'm using my music to focus me on doing something, and making something of my childhood.
For the record I'm only a youngie at 13, but I try.
The prog kid from way down under of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

GENERATION 7: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Les Claypool for me. Granted I am nowhere near his league, but I can really relate to him. He is not all about becoming an MTV icon, instead he is making the music he wants and likes to make. It is very unique and weird, but I feel this connection to his music.
I'd probably have to say either Jeordie White or Chi Cheng; both guys are pretty decent bassists, although they never really show any extremely tech or fancy work. No one really pays attention to them, but they're actually quite fundamental in the bands they are in, and know how to rock out.
Steve Harris wanted to originally be a drummer and started bass at 15

I wanted to originally be a drummer and started bass at 15.

Thats as close as I can get!
I'd say the bassist I feel like I'm in a similar situation to would be Alex Katunich. I dunno why. Mainly cos we're both usually overlooked!

Also we both try to incorporate funk into our lines.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
There are three for me : Peter Hook, Carlos Dengler and Simon Gallup. I admire them all because they bring the bass to the forefront and most people recognize songs because of their basslines. Plus they dont really play the way most bassists do and they all wear their bass low and use plectrums and have basslines that make me want to cry because they're so good. They have all influenced my style,technique and love for the bass.
Dunno... maybe Cliff Burton. We both took piano lessons and are/were influenced by Geezer Butler. And we're both really good

I also came to an astonishing discovery while surfing Wikipedia to find similarities between me and my favorite bassists: My name is Michael. Geezer Butler's middle name is also Michael... BUT IT GETS EVEN MORE INTERESTING! Tony Iommi's middle name is Frank... and my guitarist's name is also Frank! Coincidence???? I think not!

But now that I think of it... there are a few similarities between you and me, Geekis. We're both atheists, seem to like the same music/bassists and we both play an Ibanez SRX 500...
Quote by Hergiswi

The bass player is the lead singer...Tom Araya. He's the one singing about serial killers, nazism, and particularly satanism. Im a big fan of theirs, and although I dont know this for sure, I kind of doubt he's a christian at all.
Jeff Ament and I have very similar stage presenses...but I take a lot of my stuff from him. He also kind of looks like me.
The.
as cliche as it is i'd have to say John entwistle although i know i'm nothing on him. the reason being that 1 he was the reason i picked up a bass in the first place. and 2 i can relate to the whole unappreciated bassist thing he had. in my first band at our first gig i played a bass solo in one of our songs and the lead guitarist got all the credit for it.

and i've been told i have the same look about me on stage that he did
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Quote by watchingmefall
This is a very interesting thread. As cliche as it may seem, I feel somekind of resemblance to Jaco. The people that listened to my solo piece in sinan's thread may feel the influence. Sadly, I'm also bipolar. But when I started to play PoT and I had some issues with my girlfriend, Ingrid (which is also the name of Jaco's widow) I understood the feeling that PoT had in it (or at least I think I understand).
I remember reading that Jaco and Tracy had some issues, and Jaco came up with PoT and he played it from the other side of the room to Tracy when she took a bath. And personally I feel that PoT is extremely bittersweet because Jaco knew the relationship was dying, but those beautiful moments that they still had together made him full. And he came to the conclusion that it was just slipping away before his very eyes....
Or at least that's what I think about, could be wrong. And inspired by that I composed the Portrait of Ingrid (the piece on sinan's thread).

And as you may guessed Ingrid heard the song I composed for her, she loved it, we still had some beautiful moments, but she recently left me for another guy.

*Tear-drop*
Quote by bendystraw

him:"hey you play guitar"? *swipes without permission* "dOOd your guitars way out of tune."

me:"its in drop D idiot"

him:"ill drop D on your mom!"
Quote by Lendorav

But now that I think of it... there are a few similarities between you and me, Geekis. We're both atheists, seem to like the same music/bassists and we both play an Ibanez SRX 500...

Haha. Cheers, mate.
Quote by Evil_Jim43

Quote by thefitz

My blog:
I'd have to say Wooten, not because of the playing ability but on a personal level. The guy is the most laid back person you'll ever meet. He is open to everything and friendly to everyone. Now I might not be as friendly as him, but I'm just as open minded and laid back. I could tell that I was on the same wavelength as him when I met him a few years back.