Ok so i have my Fender twin for clean tones so i definently dont need anything better for clean sounds. But as you know they are hard to overdrive, you cant really turn the gain channel past 4-5 unless doing an outdoor gig (atleast the gigs i play) and the distortion is pretty bad.. I just took out my anual leave and sold a few old amps so now i have about $2000(au). Now, i want a awesome hard rock distortion crunch/roar kinda sound. So im in the price range of VOX AC30's, Marshall Vintage Moderns, Genz Benz El Diablo's (and other genz benz) Marshall jcms, Laney VC series amps, ampeg diamond blue series amps, Engl thunder 50's and if i really wanted to i could stretch my budget to Mesa F series. I need either a head or a combo, i have a home made cab with 4x 10 celestions. Now i've been able to try the Marshall JCM2000 series and i must say i dont particularly love them. I find its too much that "NU" tight sound, i want open roar crunch sound. I've only been able to try AC30 combo's, they sound pretty nice but i cant find the half stacks which i imagine would be more crunchy(?). The others i havent really had a chance to play in shops as they dont stock them (and they generally dont let you crank tube amps in shops). So basically which one of them is best, what do they all sound like and any other suggestions?

Preferbly between 30-60 Watts.

Thanks in advance

EDIT: I will be using this for small gigs (hopefully eventually bigger) so keep that in mind in terms of reliabilty and loudness.
Last edited by nirvallica at Aug 16, 2007,
Have you checked out the orange rocker 30? I hear it's very loud for 30 watts, and get's a marshall plexi tone, up to a hard crunch.

If I had the money, it would be the amp I want. Orange's website has a list of retailers in each state, so you could probably find one around and play it.
Guitar:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Amplifier:
Fender Blues Junior - Eminence Red, White and Blues
Effects:
Fulltone OCD
Electro-Harmonix Nano Small Stone
Ibanez DE-7 Delay/Echo
Dunlop Crybaby
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi
id get the engl, they own all
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey XXX 60 watt combo
Ibanez TS9 Tubescreamer

Quote by Twist of fate
You're not racist, only black people are.

Quote by clincher09
Ah yes, you have a condition that many guys live with and are affected by everyday. It's called a penis.
The AC30 is a seriously great amp. it's got such a great OD, the only problem is that is doesn't have a whole lot of gain, it would struggle to do hard rock. Maybe an Orange Rocker 30/50 would be more in your line, it can get a beautiful Plexi like crunch and has far more gain than the AC30, if you want to hear some clips of it, the orangeamps.com has some great ones in the forum. Now that i think of it, you could try one of the new Vox classic plus range, basically an AC30 with more gain
MIA Fender Strat
Yamaha FG-450S
Crafter 12 string
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Vox AC30CC2
Epi Valve Junior
Fulltone Clyde
Danelectro Free Speech
T.C. Electronic Vintage Dual Distortion
Boss MIJ GE-7 (c1987)
Boss TU2
MXR Phase 90
Artec delay
Orange Rocker 30!
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Check out Marshalls new Vintage/Modern 2266. 50 watts, sounds great! Not a bad price either. Usually around $1400 brand new.
^A lot of people don't like them, try one out though and see.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
i dont like the vintage moderns. sounds a bit thin to me.

a cranked AC30 would be hella nice lol.

or a JCM800, JCM900, Rocker 30, all those should work.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
id personally sell the twin and buy an engl screamer!

*puts on flame-retardant suit and holds face*

Quote by ECistheBest
i dont like the vintage moderns. sounds a bit thin to me.

or too muddy for me

Thing with it it's hard to get the detail and body right without it being too thin or too muddy.

As already stated check out the Rocker 30.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by Gabel
or too muddy for me

Thing with it it's hard to get the detail and body right without it being too thin or too muddy.

As already stated check out the Rocker 30.

it is muddy too.
that amp might have an extremely low input impedance???

but its got too much useless knobs... the detail and body is so annoying!!! why can't they just have a gain knob... i'm bad with knobs... i need an amp that sounds nice with all the knobs at 10 and able to control the tone full 360 degrees with my volume knob and my tone knob on my guitar. so far, my Blues jr has served that purpose. I'm learning all the knobs on my DSL though. iono why but it sorta sounds like my BJ when the DSL's TMB are at T0 M10 B10 lol. treble knob is like a presence knob.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
If you loved the AC30 but it didn't have quite enough gain, you may want to look into the AC50CPH and the AC100CPH. They are supposed to have a bit more. I would have tried one, but the input jack fell off as I plugged a guitar in (the one problem with vox amps....not limited to that model).
Thanks heaps for all your help guys. Does anyone know how much more expensive the vox plus range is?
I dunno bout the others but .....I have a ampeg reverberocket r212r and I love it, its loud, its 50w, it has amazing reverb, it has 2 channels(a very distinct clean and a very versatile od channel that can get pretty nasty when you crank it), it might be hard to find because no one seems to carry them. Ampegs going through a strange restructuring period i think. I got mine quite cheap (325) cause its like 10 years old but when new I think they are around the $700-800 range for the 50w version. Of course if no one is stocking them than that price might be irrelevant. The 100w version is more like $1000 but it also has tremolo. Once again I love mine and its made for lots of versatility and i would strongly recommend checking one out if you can find one. But good luck with your choice no matter what your going to get one hell of an amp.
Rocker 30 or the ENGL as others have said so far get my vote. The ENGL can get pretty heavy, so can the Rocker, but not quite as much.

I'd recommend the F series though, they're really nice sounding amps and are VERY versatile, you can get pretty much any sound out of them and they have great cleans as well.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Ok so say i got an AC30CCH2 or whatever it is. If i ran it with a nice overdrive pedal (crowther audio hotcake) would it reach the nice crunch/open roar sounds i want?