Well I've been playing bass for about two years now, and for some reason I never really played any blues solos. Recently my bass teacher gave me the chords to a standard blues and told me to mess around soloing over them just using a basic blues scale. I know typically in a blues the chords are commonly dominant seventh chords (which have a major 3rd), but the blues scale I was given has a minor 3rd. This doesn't make much sense to me, so if anyone could clear this up that would be great. Thanks in advance.
The minor third in the blues scale is heard as an augmented second when you play over a dominant chord - which results in a _7#9 chord (1 - 3 - b7 - #9).
Yeah... Why do you think the blues sounds the way it does? It's dissonant. Minor scale with a diminished 5th over major chords. Get a recording or get some one to play the chords for you or a cliche blues riff/shuffle thing... And mess with the scale. Just listen... It will come to you. Hopefully.
Quote by eggo_boi_15
Arnt the first few things anyone learns on a guitar is

1. Nirvana - smells like teen spirit
2. Prince - Smoke on the water
3. White stripes - seven nation army

^ lol
well the blues sound is made by playing a minor scale(pentatonic/blues scale) over a major progression. you can also add in some major notes as well but if you go straight into the major it can sometimes lose that feeling. this isnt always the case though. it depends on the song. but id say dont worry about those things like that that dont make much sense. its all to make a certain feel.
Pending on the song, it sounds good to alternate between both major and minor scales.

With blues though, don't look at it from a "these two notes shouldn't fit together?" perspective, but more of a "wow, that sounds nice" or a "I don't really like the way that sounds" perspective. You'd be amazed at how some two notes that wouldn't go well together on paper actually fit. But it also depends on the style of a song, and what the bass is doing. With a lot of rock and roll music, you'll see a lot of chromatic movements and things of the sort.

Basically, just listen to and learn some blues and improv it, and see what you get out of it. The blues can be such a cool style.
Got Death Magnetic a day early!

The Low-Cardinal of Zeppelinism - If you're a diehard fan of Zeppelin, join Zeppelinism here

Winner of the "Biggest Led Zeppelin Fuck" award in the CR forum (2 years running!)
The minor 3rd adds quite a fruity feel to the solo.

Like,

On the A string:

A|-5h6h7|
Listen to The Lemon Song by Zeppelin. John Paul Jones plays one of the greatest blues bass improvisations you'll ever hear (IMO) through practically the whole song.
Quote by Dirge Humani
Quote by Grundy0
Do you have any idea what your talking about? Because i can't understand half of what your saying and i think you are possibly clinically insane
Welcome to The Pit.

^
Quote by FLrhcpEA
I know typically in a blues the chords are commonly dominant seventh chords (which have a major 3rd), but the blues scale I was given has a minor 3rd. This doesn't make much sense to me, so if anyone could clear this up that would be great. Thanks in advance.

The minor 3rd over a major gives a bluesy sound. Accept it. It's not so much
"standard theory", but for "blues theory" it should top the list of things to know
about.

It's not just dominant 7 chords. It'll work over any major. Play a ii7-V7-Imaj7
progression. Over the Imaj7 use the b3 as a lead in to either the 3 or the 2.
Instant bluesy sound! Just don't sit on a b3 over a major chord.
Quote by FLrhcpEA
Well I've been playing bass for about two years now, and for some reason I never really played any blues solos. Recently my bass teacher gave me the chords to a standard blues and told me to mess around soloing over them just using a basic blues scale. I know typically in a blues the chords are commonly dominant seventh chords (which have a major 3rd), but the blues scale I was given has a minor 3rd. This doesn't make much sense to me, so if anyone could clear this up that would be great. Thanks in advance.

It creates that specific blues sound.
Quote by Johnljones7443
my neew year reslosutions are not too drikn as much lol.

happy new yeeae guyas.