Ever since I bought my new guitar back in April, I've been intending on using my Epi LP std for low tuning, so I got a set of strings thick enough to tune down without going all floppy, but they didnt fit in the nut, so I used a file to make the slot bigger, and I made the slot to big for my low e, so I'm replacing it, what kind should I get, can I do it myself or should I take it in to a tech?
Member of the Metal Militia. PM Gibson_10 or AngelOfSorrow to join
get a bone nut, and you can do it yourself, on alot of guitars the nut is just held in place by string tension, no glue or anything needed.
I'm pretty sure that it's glues on with Les Pauls.
Yes, you need to use glue for Les Paul style nuts. School glue will work fine.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
Quote by Will_Minus
Yes, you need to use glue for Les Paul style nuts. School glue will work fine.

That made me lol. I can see a "Check out my Elmer's Glue custom LP" thread
Actually, white glue isn't all that different from standard wood glue. And I wouldn't use bone, it's fairly tricky to work with if you don't have a set of nut files, which I'd advise against for one guitar. Something like Graphtech is much better in my opinion.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
I would go for a bone nut and get it install by a luthier/reputable tech. A well cut nut will play and intonate better.
i need to put a nut on my ibanez neck, changing from locking nut to standard nut, i bought one of the internet but ive been meaning to ask how to put it on, is titebond strong enough for it ? if i put some super glue in the mix too ?
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
Yeah I think I'm going to put a Graphtech nut on, and where can I get a set of nut files, just any guitar store?
No, the only place I've seen them is www.stew-mac.com, and a set'll cost you $60, which is why I advised against it.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
So how would you widen the slots in your nut?
You could always go low-tech and fold a piece of sandpaper or something.
Quote by corduroyEW

I am Michael!
Quote by tubab0y
You could always go low-tech and fold a piece of sandpaper or something.

Yeah sand paper is working well for me, but think I made the slot to big can this be bad?
It shouldn't be a huge problem as long as it sits at the right height.
Quote by corduroyEW

I am Michael!
You can also just cut a little notch with a box cuter, and then use the string itself to file it a bit deeper.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club