Hey, I have recently got into Antoine Dufour's music and similar artists. These styles require tapping harmonics and such. My action is about 5 mm off the 12th fret, and tapping harmonics are really hard to get a nice sound. Obviously lowering the action would fix this, but how low do I go approximately? Does anyone here play similar styles? What is your action?
sorry buddy.. I'm sorry I haven't responded yet

Yeah i'm learning Andy Mckee myself and its hard.. especially with my 100 dollar fender starter guitar from when i was 13.. but thats besides the point

I dont know how to do the tapping thing becuase my guitar sucks but I imagine if you get a guitar nice enough then you could tap...

I dont really know anything about action..but I think the action on my ****ty practice guitar is pretty high. so its hard to tap.. I cant do taps other than slap pops...

On another note.. I'm having a hard time with "Keys to my Hovercar" my right hand cant really move that indepently and so quickly.. arpegiating rapidly like this in the first 10 seconds

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIzuSi3dEqI

To me thats tough.. well tougher than tapping
When the sun falls the moon rises...

My attempt at art lasted for an instant and then faded like a candle without oil...

When i get around to making more candles hopefully my art will return in a perfect form that all can appreciate.
tapping harmonics isnt hard at all. I dont think 5mm @ the 12th fret is too high to get a good sound out of it. My old acoustic is like 6mm and i make it sound good.
Proud Owner of a 2006 Taylor GS Big Leaf Maple/ Sitka Spruce
I've seen Erik Mongrain talking about it in his forums occasionally.

Link

Maybe you should just browse there.