Page 1 of 2
I was just wondering, what would the best mid-range amps be for high gain metal? I'm talking $1000-$1700 Australian Dollars. Just wondering because I'll be buying an amp soon and at the moment I'm looking at the Flextone 3 but i want to know my ultimate options.
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Farida M2 Parlour Acoustic
Admira Hand-built Spanish Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
I'm no player of metal or high gain, but I will blindly repeat what everyone else says.

Peavey 5150.

noobEDIT: Say Ocean's advice is better than mine. Disregard everything I say.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
Last edited by CORT noob at Aug 16, 2007,
5150 is well above 1000-1700 Australian dollars though. Plus finding a used GOOD amp in Aus that isn't a rip-off is nearly impossible.

How about Randall RG-50TC? all tube 2 channel for $1100 at www.guitar.com.au doesn't look too bad but I'm not sold on it though.
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
you might be able to get a single recto for 1700. you can probably get a used 5150 or 6505 for that. billy hyde can probably cut you a good deal on an ENGL amp
Quote by .arkness:.
5150 is well above 1000-1700 Australian dollars though. Plus finding a used GOOD amp in Aus that isn't a rip-off is nearly impossible.

Man you can EASILY find a good used amp, as long as you take the time to look. You can get a DSL50 for 800-900 bucks quite easily. A second hand 5150 can be had for less than 1700 as long as you look. try the trading post, ebay, look at stuff advertising for other states.
There is also the fact that i wont be able to have a high wattage amp in the house without the folks getting cranky. but i could get an attenuator.

Also i have been looking and eBay for weeks and nothing goods come up. i could get a deal on an ENGL Thunder 50 Combo but there would be the fact that i would have to pay a deposit and get the music store down here to order it in. then if i don't like it il would have lost that deposit.

I can get a Genz Benz El Diablo 60 combo for $1800 with a foot switch.

Of course theres the flextone 3 XL with the FBV shortboard for 2000 (I can get them to bring it down to 1800 i think)

I can grab a DSL 401 for $1700 but I'm not sure if i can pull off high gain stuff with that (Im not one for pedals as I'm planning on saving for a guitar soon after i get the amp)

theres the Randall RG-50TC as well.

Other than that I'm not sure of many more choices unless i manage to find one used without it being super expensive or stupidly high shipping costs.
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
Quote by Say Ocean
Just get a Recto or Triamp used believe me

Midrange????
Main Gear:
Ibanez RG550EX
Ibanez S470
Epiphone SG CS Ltd Ed 1966 Reissue
Cort M200/WS
Richwood RS17CCE acoustic
Hayden Mofo
Harley Benton 2x12 Celestion V30

My Band - Haemasmtha
good luck finding a triple recto here for less than 2000 used or not. Plus its too much for me. midrange means mid price and mid-loudness as well. i cant be playing at 1/4 volume at home now can i.

Out of those amps i mentioned above, what would YOU prefer?
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
Quote by .arkness:.
good luck finding a triple recto here for less than 2000 used or not. Plus its too much for me. midrange means mid price and mid-loudness as well. i cant be playing at 1/4 volume at home now can i.

Out of those amps i mentioned above, what would YOU prefer?

Attenuater?

Plus, Mesa's gain is in the preamp, so it doesn't need to be cranked if you are only practicing.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
Quote by Say Ocean
Used foo.

I got Triple Recto used for 750 US

What he said (above). Your new Mesa prices are cheaper than our used prices (by a long way).
Main Gear:
Ibanez RG550EX
Ibanez S470
Epiphone SG CS Ltd Ed 1966 Reissue
Cort M200/WS
Richwood RS17CCE acoustic
Hayden Mofo
Harley Benton 2x12 Celestion V30

My Band - Haemasmtha
Australians get ripped of by mesa, its just too much money. plus if i do get a mesa head i cant get a cab as well.

Will someone PLEASE give me their opinions on the:

Genz Benz El Diablo 60 combo w/ foot switch

flextone 3 XL with the FBV shortboard

Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401

Randall RG-50TC .

All cost around the same. i need a decent metal tone and enough gain. I've heard the DSL isn't that high on gain so that may be out. They all are within 200 of each other i think so what would be the best buy?

EDIT: For a mesa i will be paying $2600 for the F-30 combo...]
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
Last edited by .:Darkness:. at Aug 16, 2007,
The Genz-Benz is a great amp. Reliability issues with some, but if you have warranty when you buy it you'll be fine.
Just reading reviews on all and sure enough the flextone is leading. not nearly as much bad reviews for it as there is for the Randall RG-50TC and the el diablo.

im still not convinced. in my mind, im paying 1800 for an amp i should be able to get a good tube amp for metal but so far i cant find one.
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
I've played the Genz Benz, and for heavy metal I liked it. I preferred it to the Krank Revolution combo I played next to it.
Washburn HM Idol w/ SD JB in bridge > Ibanez Weeping Demon > Korg Pitchblack > Digitech Bad Monkey > Boss NS-2 > Boss DD-6 > Egnater Renegade > Splawn 2x12 w/ Weber Sig12Bs

How much is the krank rev combo?
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
nevermind, it too much anyway.
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
The Flextone is a solid state modelling amp. Whilst good, in my experience with it it doesn't cope well with metal gain levels.

The Genz Benz is a nice amp, it's the harmony central whipping boy at the moment but I know plenty of people who like it a lot.

PM Crunchmeister, he has one and likes it.

The Randall is also a good amp, the DSL is also good but not really a metal amp.

How expensive are Laney VH100Rs/TT50s in australia?

A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
i would go with the dsl out of the ones you listed. i don't think it's bad for modern metal at all.

second would be the el diablo if i had to choose, but i'm not particularly fond of it.

the flextone is a modeling amp, and just personally speaking, i'd take a tube amp over it.

never tried the randall.
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard (with EMG 81/85)
Mesa/Boogie Single Rectifier Solo Head Series 2
Marshall Valvestate 8100
Lopo Line 2x12 Slant w/ WGS v30 clones
Boss MT-2
Danelectro Fish and Chips
TT50 combo is $2,718.99 so i dont think i can grab that.

I'll see if i can find any stores that stock the amps im looking for, i can only find a DSL here.
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
what about a TSL combo? how are they for high-gain? i can probably bargan one down to my price range.
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
Check out the Bay for a used Peavey Ultra combo or head- American made, built like a tank, 3 channel all-tube design, VERY gainy....for the money, it is a great value- not like the chinese units Peavey births out these days. Check Harmony Central, as well, dont just take my word for it.....I would put this up against many amps, and it would smoke quite a few....
Plus they go for little $$$, so you could hook up some new toys.....

Laskyman
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
Roadster 212
Ibanez RG3120/ PL1770
GT8 (via 4CM)
Radtone Harmonic Converger
why not a single recto, they do modern metal, 50 watts ( volume is bearable) and for under a thousand used...
c-1 classic
mim strat (not fender)
valveking 112
Boss dd20 giga delay
Boss phase shifter
more to come
fender acoustic

my band

Quote by someperson
buy a wah wah pedal. Easier to use, and you won't have to re-tune your guitar after you use it.
Quote by CORT noob
Attenuater?

Plus, Mesa's gain is in the preamp, so it doesn't need to be cranked if you are only practicing.

not really. Mesa is one of the poweramp gainers, as can be seen from Mark Iv and recto series.
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
"not really. Mesa is one of the poweramp gainers, as can be seen from Mark Iv and recto series."

Yep- I fully agree. At bedroom volumes, may add a bit o' TS in front of a dirty channel, when playing live with a bit of volume, I often ask the other guys

"would you like some sustain with that?"

The more you push, the sweeter this thing sings.......

Laskyman

"make mine Mesa"
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
Roadster 212
Ibanez RG3120/ PL1770
GT8 (via 4CM)
Radtone Harmonic Converger
everyone in Australia who has a mesa and is selling it used will want at least 2100 for it. A single rec new costs $3,495 so no-one in their right mind would sell one used for under 2 grand.

Really all i have to go with is an El Diablo or a Randall RG-50TC. Unless there is one i missed.

Hows the JCM2000 TSL combo for modern metal?
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
^in all honesty if those are your choices then the El diablo. Its great. the jcm 2000 compared to it is pretty lack luster
Quote by mexican_shred
^in all honesty if those are your choices then the El diablo. Its great.

And how much experience have you had with the Randall to make that statement?
Alot. My band mate has one. Its a great amp for the price but the el diablo was better. I liked the cleans of the el diablo and the gain channel(not scooped. scooping bad)
Thanks for that. So often recommendations or putdowns on UG come from people who have never seen, let alone, used a particular piece of equipment.

I am getting one of those Randalls in the next couple of weeks and for less than AU$1000, they are very good value in Australia.

I already own two Randalls and they are solid and reliable amps and that's another reason why I'm sticking with Randall.

Cheers mate.
Scooped = good! i love scooped mid sounds. im hoping you can scoop the mids on the el diablo well?
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
The el diablo can scoop , but the general consensus around here is that is not good to scoop. you are taking out the frequencies that make a guitar well a guitar
ive got a Genz Benz El Diablo 60c with footswitch, in perfect condition, its great for metal, has a 30 and 60 watt switch. Great amp, kicks the ass out of most other amps in its price range,

Im looking at buying a high end Orange pretty soon, just because they look cool, if your interested in the amp pm me, I live in Melbourne and can post to sydney.

Cheers dude.
Gear.
Peters Chimaira tube amp
Harley Benton 2xv30's
IbanezS470(evo,paf)
Jackson dinky select series USA
ESP LTD EC1000VB
MI audio boostnbuff+crunchbox
Carbon copy MXR + smart gate
I was in exactly the same situation as u and i picked up a dsl 401 for 1.3k in the end
i thought the el diablo was too muddy and dark
dsl is really good but its not quite gainy enuff and can get a bit fuzzy
id say get a dsl wit a boost or an eq
especially if by high gain u mean like classic thrash
if u want like new metal or sumthing of the like, i reckon ur best bet is with a pedal
Jackson DKMG
Squier Affinity Strat (Fender SCN Pups)
Squier P Bass Special
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 401
Boss Metal Zone (piece of crap)
Boss DS 2
EHX Little Big Muff
Ok, what about a kustom 100DFX Quad? or am i just taking a leap in a completely wrong direction? im not completely convinced about the el diablo and until i play it im going to keep looking around for possible 'better' things.

My problem is that because i have a low budget im thinking that i wont be able to get a good tube amp. but again because of my low budget i will be able to get a good solid state. is that thinking flawed? i know the general consensus is that tube > solid state no matter what but i cant help but think that there are better solid states then there are tube amps at this budget level.
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
I've got a DSL 401. Don't get it if you want high gain. The gain is so rubbish you might struggle to even get pinch harmonics, depending on what pickups/pedals you have.
ENGL Fireball
Framus 2x12
Ibanez RG1570 - DM Breeds
Epi Les Paul - Warthog Pup
MXR 10 Band EQ
TS9
ISP Decimator
Boss DD3
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
Dunlop Crybaby

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10rdcKp317I - New X-men Theme Vid