Page 1 of 3
This thread is more for the beginners but pro's are welcome...

this is to see how much you have progressed and what people think of you talents with a guitar...

how long have you been playing and how many songs can you play??
what was your first song and how long did it take you to learn it?

il start... I've been playing 4 months now. i don't really know but people say i'm talented... i started on Adams song and hypnotize just to figure things out and to get my fingers hard. took me about 2 weeks. then i started on my first song... my first song was one last breath from creed. it took me 8 days to learn it. i can play... classical gas, one last breath, Adams song, here without you, landing in London, stay together for the kids, chasing cars, i have my own complete song with picking and chords, tribute, bouree, last resort,stairway to heaven(intro) wish you where here(intro)**** her gently(intro) there for you, far away(intro) greensleves, Scotty doesn't know, and i stop at the harmonics in nothing els matters... in my own opinion i stink. i want to be like the guys of dragon force and Micheal Angelo Batio.... damn they can play!!!!!
Ive been playing for two days and I can do riffs from Come as You Are - Nirvana and Smoke On The Water - Deep Purple. I can also play some bridges and the intro from Buried A Lie - Senses fail.
Ibanez AEG10E
^^ You'll get there, takes years to get to their level.

Yeah im alright, definately at a level where i can join a band (metal) and contribute. I learnt alot of Megadeth, Death, etc..... First main song was Master of Puppets. I've been playing for 3 years, but in my second year i became lazy and didnt do ****. but the past year ive been playing/practicing about an hour a day, still dont think its enough though.
.(....\................/....)
. \....\............. /..../
...\....\.........../..../
....\..../´¯.l.¯`\..../
..../... l....l....(¯ `\
...l......l....l.....\....\
...l......l´¯.l´¯.l \....\
...\......` ¯..¯ ´......?
....\__________.?
I don't judge of people's playing ability by how many songs they play. I judge by theory knowledge, improvisation, clearity, and versatility(SP?). So i would consider myself to be around a 5 or 6 in a 1 to 10 scale.

Nobody should be considered good or bad by how many songs they can play. They could know every powered chording song that Green Day plays and still be ****.
"We barely remember who or what came before this precious moment"

Tool, anyone?
Alter Bridge, maybe?
A bit of John Mayer?
Some beethoven sounds delightful, as well.
Quote by GuitarSacrifice
^^ You'll get there, takes years to get to their level.

Yeah im alright, definately at a level where i can join a band (metal) and contribute. I learnt alot of Megadeth, Death, etc..... First main song was Master of Puppets. I've been playing for 3 years, but in my second year i became lazy and didnt do ****. but the past year ive been playing/practicing about an hour a day, still dont think its enough though.

+1

My Youtube Page

I wrote this story so many days ago
and the words kept falling onto pages.
Without the loss we can't go on
and with the loss we became strong.

iv been playing about 4 years, my first song was Otherside by RHCP it took me a few days, i didnt know about tabs at the time, it was all by ear
MY Music
AMPS:
Chute CC-04 2x12
GUITARS:
Fender American Deluxe Strat SSS (with DG-20's)
Martin Dx-1
PEDALS:
Big Muff Pi Tone Wicker
Keeley Mod Bluesdriver
Holy Grail Plus Reverb
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Boss RC-2 Loop pedal
Haha I love how everybody thinks they're somehow a prodigy.
Member of the Grammar Nazi Club. PM Your41Plague12 to Join.

Member #6 of the Orange Tiny Terror Club
Quote by Pedalboard
I don't judge of people's playing ability by how many songs they play. I judge by theory knowledge, improvisation, clearity, and versatility(SP?). So i would consider myself to be around a 5 or 6 in a 1 to 10 scale.

Nobody should be considered good or bad by how many songs they can play. They could know every powered chording song that Green Day plays and still be ****.

+1

I play at a grade 3 standard, been playin for 2 years, about 1 and a half of that was serious, the other half a year i was just like, not doing anything.

Edit:
I'm self taught, I went for a few lessons recently and was put in right at grade 3.
but i have to confess... although i never had any lessons... i practise more that 3 hours a day. and i occasionally practice right through the night
this is going on my 3rd year. the first song i learned was smells like teen spirit and i havent progressed much because i mostly only play punk -_- but i'm practicing crazy train and iron man on my own (especially the solos) to get my finger speed and accuracy built up
Hotel was my first song. Idontthink im that bad for the length of time ive been playing guitar. In my school and around my city most of the kids my age are pure ****. theres maybe about 6 of us, who are actually good( at our standards), ive been playing the least out of all of them but either way, not enough good players here, so i cant really say if im good or bad, good compared to people here, average to people on you tube haha
Quote by Sloopy
I'm not in a wheelchair, but I own one just for fun.
Ive been playing for 3 and a half years now, seriously for about a year and a half.
Itd take all day for me to figger out all the songs i know and type them but my latest song is an unnamed solo by Steve Morse and Dyin Day by Steve Vai.
The only things we hate are those things we try to hide from others.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Quote by Carmel
Either way, I don't think bananas should be placed in such proximity to an ass

I disagree. Bananas and ass are like peaches and cream.
Quote by Pedalboard

Agreed - I've historically chosen to learn a bit more theory than a new song, given the option of the two.

That said, I've been playing for me 2.5 - 3 years, and I know I still have a long way to go.
Gunpowder: FUCKING ROCKS!!!
Quote by The Madcap
[witty set-up]
Gunpowder FUCKING ROCKS!!!!!

Quote by Kensai

Gunpowder you fucking rock!!

Quote by Dirge Humani
Now I can say, with sufficient certainly, that you, Gunpowder...

FUCK ROCKS!
I've been playing almost 4 years.

I don't shred. I play guitar that I think it creative and original. That's all I'm looking to do for the rest of my career as a guitarist, is to keep progressing in innovation and creativity.

Playing guitar is NOT a sport.

Let the RABBITS wear GLASSES
]
ok measuring myself to the people around here. id say im not too bad. i can play just as fast as my friend how has been playing almost 2 years. and the guitar i have is a fender but its one that im borrowing. the strings are harder that the other acoustics ive played with and the strings are further from the neck
Sounds like someone's got New Guitarist Syndrome
"That Hidde's a cool guy" -Abe Lincoln
"Hidde? Yeah we jam all the time" -Steve Vai
"Remember that time when burt jumped out of the tree and into the river? Good times!" -Jesus

So I heard you liek profiles?
Quote by Pertenozzo
Haha I love how everybody thinks they're somehow a prodigy.

:P +1
Quote by Necrophagist777

I agree, i always help people up. At the last show we all protected this little kid who was tying his shoe in the middle of the pit.

http://www.mylot.com/?ref=Phase3
I been playing for about a year and 1/2 now. I recently did this trivium solo, that took me like 1 day to learn. I kno how to play the whole song, but i decided to only record the solo. its here on youtube: http://youtube.com/watch?v=Udfwkoy19N0

I can play other stuff like beast and harlot. I learned that like 4 months into playing. I did a vid for the solo for that too, back when i just hit a year playing. I can do most techniques like speed picking and some basic sweeping. A lot of people i talk to about my playing dont even believe I've been at it for only a year and 1/2 I can already write really good tabs and figure whole songs by ear. I just finished figuring out this song called anemia in your sheets by still remains. Awesome song, with a sweet sounding solo .. and i figured it out in a 1/2 hour, lol. So yea, i think i gotten pretty far ..
SICfreak
I got my first guitar almost 4 years ago. I started taking it seriously only a few months ago .. I'm alright.
''Technological advancements are like an axe in the hands of a pathological criminal.'' - Albert Einstein
I've been playing 2 or 3 years, but I've been a very slow learner due to various circumstances. I didn't even practice regularly for the first year or so, I thinkI've only actually become a decent player within the past year, and only the past few months could I consider myself "good".

Now I think I'm pretty decent though.

Check out my MP3s, I don't think I'm too shabby.
Quote by sicfreak91
I been playing for about a year and 1/2 now. I recently did this trivium solo, that took me like 1 day to learn. I kno how to play the whole song, but i decided to only record the solo. its here on youtube: http://youtube.com/watch?v=Udfwkoy19N0

I can play other stuff like beast and harlot. I learned that like 4 months into playing. I did a vid for the solo for that too, back when i just hit a year playing. I can do most techniques like speed picking and some basic sweeping. A lot of people i talk to about my playing dont even believe I've been at it for only a year and 1/2 I can already write really good tabs and figure whole songs by ear. I just finished figuring out this song called anemia in your sheets by still remains. Awesome song, with a sweet sounding solo .. and i figured it out in a 1/2 hour, lol. So yea, i think i gotten pretty far ..

gotten pretty far? damn! that was an awsome vid!
i'd say i'm a 6 on pedalboard's scale.
my first song in full was smells like teen spirit, took me two days.
i have been playing for 2 years, all serious.
no lessons.
i trying to learn how to sweep, but GAHHHHHHHHH.

it's alittle difficult.
Quote by rexreeper99
gotten pretty far? damn! that was an awsome vid!

haha, thanks dude
SICfreak
i have been playing for almost five years
used to play metal but i have been taking jazz lessons for a while now
my first tune was house of the rising sun and it took me like a month

and i can do sweeps :P
I've been playing for a little under 3 years now. I got pretty good pretty fast. Lots of practice and dedication.

I'll just list some songs I can play and let you guys judge:

Texas Flood - SRV
Little Wing - Hendrix or SRV
Actually, about anything by SRV I can play.
Eruption - Van Halen
Black Dog - Zeppelin
Freebird - Skynyrd
Know Your Enemy - RATM
Crossroads - Cream
Hideaway - Bluesbreakers
Voodoo Child - Hendrix
Castles Made of Sand - Hendrix
Sweet Child O' Mine - GNR

I can play those and a lot more, but those are the more well known ones that I can play. I can play a good variety of songs, but I can't write a song to save my life.
Last edited by pandashaving at Aug 16, 2007,
Quote by Pedalboard

Oh noes Ima be pwned then! Yeah I'm pretty ****, I can't really play many songs all the way through (I just can't really be arsed learning them) and it takes me ages to learn things, say about 25 repetitions for it to stick in my head.
Looking to buy a Fender Jagstang, u sellin?
I have been playing for 4 years (electric 3 years) my first song on acoustic was Good riddance and it took me a few days to learn the fingerpicking. My first song in electric was fade to black (everything but the main solo) and I've learned a lot since then..Now Im trying to focus on theory so i can make my own solos from scratch, not just using licks from other ones I've learnt
--F-F-T-S---
--EbOla----
---name pending?--

Quote by PlayMadness
No. Everybody dies. And one day, given that your relationship doesn't crash and burn like so many do, one of you will end up deep in sorrow while watching the other one die.

Quote by sicfreak91

That was great man.
Quote by lateraluspiral
She sucked your dick after you put it in her ass..?
Thats love.

Date idea?
Quote by Kensai
Sneak into mordor
Quote by Gigatiran
At least you're thinking out of the box.

Member of the 'Guitarists Born In 1991' Club.

Save the world?
does someone know where i can get the music theory stuff...? learning it can only help right??
Hmm...well, 2 1/2 years exp.. I can play Vicarious all the way through, and I just picked up the Stadium Arcadium song book at a music store, hope to get from first page to last here soon..

Of course I can play alot of other songs, I just think Vicarious is personally the hardest for me because of all the different parts and time signatures.
i'm in about 5 or 6... mebe 7 months... i think my first song was ironman...
last few song i've learned were
heartbreaker
the ocean
black dog(i'm speeding it up at this very moment)
confined-AILD
reinvention-AILD
forever-AILD
the solo from she-wolf-Megadeth
Dread and the fugitive mind-Megadeth
In dying days-As blood runs black(the intro atleast)
ya
Quote by sicfreak91

That's pretty freakin' good for a year and a half. Hell, that's really freakin' good for 5 years of playing.

How much do you practice?
Quote by rexreeper99
This thread is more for the beginners but pro's are welcome...

this is to see how much you have progressed and what people think of you talents with a guitar...

how long have you been playing and how many songs can you play??
what was your first song and how long did it take you to learn it?

il start... I've been playing 4 months now. i don't really know but people say i'm talented... i started on Adams song and hypnotize just to figure things out and to get my fingers hard. took me about 2 weeks. then i started on my first song... my first song was one last breath from creed. it took me 8 days to learn it. i can play... classical gas, one last breath, Adams song, here without you, landing in London, stay together for the kids, chasing cars, i have my own complete song with picking and chords, tribute, bouree, last resort,stairway to heaven(intro) wish you where here(intro)**** her gently(intro) there for you, far away(intro) greensleves, Scotty doesn't know, and i stop at the harmonics in nothing els matters... in my own opinion i stink. i want to be like the guys of dragon force and Micheal Angelo Batio.... damn they can play!!!!!

I would like to question your ability to play classical gas
Quote by pandashaving

I can play those and a lot more, but those are the more well known ones that I can play. I can play a good variety of songs, but I can't write a song to save my life.

Then, IMO, you arent very good.

Personally I think what rates how good a player is is how well they play. (Yeah, I know, give me a minute.)

Just regurgitating other people's stuff isn't really "playing", as far as I'm concerned. A robot could do that.

What makes a player i how they craft beaustiful sounds from the instument: Using it to create music. How well they improvise and write are the biggest factors of a guitarists skill,IMO.

Anyone can look at a tab and eventually play it, to be a player you need to use the guitar creativeyl.
you can go to my link and judge for yerself (most of the stuff on there is 5 + years old, except for amazing grace, acousticthing and top of the world, those are new) i think i'm decent.
Page 1 of 3