If my capo is on the 3rd fret and i'm playing the chords G, D, Em, and C. If someone wanted to strum along without a capo, what would they play?

I'd really like to know how to figure this out. Any help is appreciated. I would just assume but you what that does.
would you nto just move the note down 3 semi tones, eg g 3 semi tones down or something like that i don't really know though but worth a try
If you're thinking about it this way:

Following chord is relative to the capo

1 (relative to capo on 3rd Fret)

This is the same shape as an E in open position but the actual chord would be

4 (actual chord numbering relative to the nut)

This is actually just a G Major bar chord so you're buddy could just play a stand G Major chord which is (in the standard open position/no capo)

0 (equivalent chord for guitar in standard position/no capo)

All you really need to know is what the root note is on guitar with the capo and then just play that chord (well and if it's a major/minor chord etc).

If you look at each number as being a fret on the 6th (low E) string the notes are:

0-E
1-F
2-F#/Gb
3-G
4-G#/Ab
5-A
6-A#/Bb
7-B
8-C
9-C#/Db
10-D
11-D#/Eb
12-E

The lowest note in any chord is usually the root note and therefore characterizes the name of the chord (say you have a chord that uses the 6th string, 7th fret as it's lowest note. Assuming that it's a Major chord then it would be called a B. If you want to but that in standard position you play a B starting at the 2nd fret on the 5th string).
Last edited by mattvl at Aug 16, 2007,
0-E
1-F
2-F#/Gb
3-G
4-G#/Ab
5-A
6-A#/Bb
7-B
8-C
9-C#/Db
10-D
11-D#/Eb
12-E

Can you do this in relation to minor chords?
^please, start a new thread for that.
Don't tell me what can not be done

Don't tell me what can be done, either.

I love you all no matter what.
same answer i just posted on the g and d scale forum:

search "CAGED" system, probably a lesson on this site. that is the scale patterns for C, A, G, E, and D (hence the acronym-name). for any given key, the scales come in that order down the neck. for instance, playing in the key of C, use the C scale at frets 1 through 4, scale of A at frets 3 through 7, G scale at frets 5 through 9, and so on. not playing in the key of C? no problem, the pattern just starts over. in key of G, next comes E at third fret, D at fifth fret, etc...

invest in one of those slides at a music store, its a $10 piece of cardboard that's been worth more to me than all of my guitars except my first.
Bluegrass Rocks

CYNONYTE!

Quote by Basti95
People only come here to get sigged anyway

Quote by Basti95
Rats, I thought someone would sig it and make me famous...

it was going to be my big break