What is the best TUBE COMBO 4 METAL that is under 30 watts and is no more than a 1 x 12

thanks in advanced for any help
Mesa F-30 would be nice. I can't think of many amps that are aimed at metal that are under 30 watts really. Peavey XXX is 40.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
i will have a look thanks bet it cost llllllllllllloooooooooooooooooooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaadssssssss
Yeah Definitley the F-30 or you could get the 50 watt Single Rectifier Rect0-Verb. My local Mesa Dealer is giving big discounts on the F series amps because he says they are going to be discontinued or they already are.
Check Out:Stack Of Noises
My SoundClick

Mesa/Boogie Single Rectifier Rectoverb
American Fender Limited Edition
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Jackson Professional Rhoads EX EMGs
Pod XT Live
Marshall AVT20
1984 Peavey Pacer
Boss NS-2
I don't know of many el84 combos for metal out there, but I'll try.

DSL401. I don't know how marshall measure their wattage, but 4 EL84's are capable of handling up to 30 watts, any more would indicate use of a specific EL84 tube that puts out 20 watts each.

You should really look at 40 watt (6L6) and 50 watt (EL34) combos, they aren't much louder than the 30 watt.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Quote by PreventThis
Yeah Definitley the F-30 or you could get the 50 watt Single Rectifier Rect0-Verb. My local Mesa Dealer is giving big discounts on the F series amps because he says they are going to be discontinued or they already are.

Thats what the Express series is replacing. F series amps are still awesome if you can get one.
Quote by Reincaster
I don't know of many el84 combos for metal out there, but I'll try.

DSL401. I don't know how marshall measure their wattage, but 4 EL84's are capable of handling up to 30 watts, any more would indicate use of a specific EL84 tube that puts out 20 watts each.

You should really look at 40 watt (6L6) and 50 watt (EL34) combos, they aren't much louder than the 30 watt.

I wouldnt use the DSL401 for metal, though. Hard rock, yes. Metal, needs a pedal infront of it.
I just got rid of one.
Quote by demea
Thats what the Express series is replacing. F series amps are still awesome if you can get one.

Yeah I would seriously check out the F series because they will probably give you a real deal on a new one. I had thought about buying one when I bought my Recto-Verb but I went in there for a Recto and I got it.
Check Out:Stack Of Noises
My SoundClick

Mesa/Boogie Single Rectifier Rectoverb
American Fender Limited Edition
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Jackson Professional Rhoads EX EMGs
Pod XT Live
Marshall AVT20
1984 Peavey Pacer
Boss NS-2
IMO, Express 5:50 > F50

Never tried the 5:25 or F30.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
If your willing to shell out the money you might be able to find a Mesa Mark III or IV combo on ebay or something.
I don't always post in the threads but when I do its random and pointless because I'm ignorant enough to think you care.
thanks for the advice off to ebay i goooooooooooooo....yep thats what i thought mesa all the way!
NO!!! Neither the Express or F-series have a good bite for metal, I've tried both, Rectifiers are better by far.
I loved the High Gain channel on the Carvin V3 combo. It has a Master Volume which means you can crank the amp all the way up without going deaf.
My Gear:
Jackson JS20 Dinky
Line6 Spider II 30w ( )
Dunlop Dime Crybaby From Hell ( )
how good are the budda superdrives?
Epi Les Paul/Swineshead Venom pickups
THD: UniValve Head
Lopo line 4x12/Celestion V30's @ 16ohms
Quote by Say Ocean
Uhhh they don't really make tube metal amps under 50 watts bro.

XXX is 40, but that's about as low wattage as metal tube amps get.

Though some of them have switches to take down the wattage.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Genz Benz El diablo 60c
Gear.
Peters Chimaira tube amp
Harley Benton 2xv30's
IbanezS470(evo,paf)
Jackson dinky select series USA
ESP LTD EC1000VB
MI audio boostnbuff+crunchbox
Carbon copy MXR + smart gate
How can you get metal tones out of a DSL 401? Mine seems pretty weak in terms of gain, and the tone is pretty harsh.
i don't define myself by what silly groups i join.
Ive tried the Mesa Express before, I could barely get a decent crunch out of it. Definately not enough gain for metal. The Peavey XXX Super 40 is a great low-wattage amp for metal, although it can still get ****ing loud! Id try to find one of those. Also, try to look used if you can, because you can find great deals on used amps or discontinued models as well.
hey! i like genz benz idea lol..
Epi Les Paul/Swineshead Venom pickups
THD: UniValve Head
Lopo line 4x12/Celestion V30's @ 16ohms
Ive tried the Mesa Express before, I could barely get a decent crunch out of it. Definately not enough gain for metal.

I'm surprised to read this -- I have the 5:25 and think it has a great crunch to it. Then again, I don't play "modern" downtuned metal or thrash. Perhaps a clean overdrive could take this amp into metallica territory?

This amp is better for NWOBHM tones on the "burn" channel and the contour control. I keep the mids high on the pre-amp, and dial them out later with the "contour" eq. I can get great Judas Priest/Iron Maiden tones out of my 5:25 with the gain at ~1 o'clock -- with a fat strat.

I think this amp is intended to be good up to NWOBHM-style gain and down. It has great cleans, crunch and blues sounds to it. But no, it is not a Recto or Mark IV ... but it is about 1/2 the price. I think it is also intended to be a small, portable amp, rather than a full-sized 50W or 100W amp.

So if you are looking for cleans + moderate-gain metal and hard rock, in a portable format, that can switch between 5W & 25W, this amp rules. If you need Recto tones for thrash & death metal, you need to look elsewhere.
Quote by Steve BP
I'm surprised to read this -- I have the 5:25 and think it has a great crunch to it. Then again, I don't play "modern" downtuned metal or thrash. Perhaps a clean overdrive could take this amp into metallica territory?

This amp is better for NWOBHM tones on the "burn" channel and the contour control. I keep the mids high on the pre-amp, and dial them out later with the "contour" eq. I can get great Judas Priest/Iron Maiden tones out of my 5:25 with the gain at ~1 o'clock -- with a fat strat.

I think this amp is intended to be good up to NWOBHM-style gain and down. It has great cleans, crunch and blues sounds to it. But no, it is not a Recto or Mark IV ... but it is about 1/2 the price. I think it is also intended to be a small, portable amp, rather than a full-sized 50W or 100W amp.

So if you are looking for cleans + moderate-gain metal and hard rock, in a portable format, that can switch between 5W & 25W, this amp rules. If you need Recto tones for thrash & death metal, you need to look elsewhere.

Wow, I couldnt even get that much gain out of it for a Priest/Madien sound.... It seemed like Zeppelin was too much gain for the amp. Im pretty sure I was using the right channel, but it just sounded weak to me. Maybe I played a dud or the tubes were messed up or something, I dont know. But if you have any soundclips of this amp, would you mind posting them up on your profile so I could hear how its supposed to sound?
Quote by JoeBender
NO!!! Neither the Express or F-series have a good bite for metal, I've tried both, Rectifiers are better by far.

I like the F-Series hi-gain sound MUCH better than a recto. Rectos sound, bleh, compared to the F-30/F-50 (imo). When I tried out the Express it didn't have anywhere near enough gain for metal, it was more of a classic rock amp.

Go with the F-30.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I'm afraid I don't have a mike for sound clips yet -- I've only been playing guitar for about a year, so you should take my insights on tone with a grain of salt.

Nevertheless, I'm still surprised folks had problems getting Iron Maiden tones out of the Express -- how much gain do you need? Maiden & Priest isn't exactly downtuned death metal. The Express nails Sabbathy tones effortlessly, too.

Maybe I'm getting old or something because I don't use as much gain as some "modern" metal players. I find some great old school metal tones out of the Express with moderate gain and tweaking the eq & contour control ...

It seemed like Zeppelin was too much gain for the amp.

Now that, IMO, is a ridiculous exaggeration. There's more than enough gain in the Express for Zeppelin & classic rock tones. The only thing this amp won't do without help is thrash & really brutal modern metal. It does the old school metal just fine.

Perhaps, similar to the other Mesas, people need to spend some time tweaking the dials?
Last edited by Steve BP at Aug 20, 2007,