Hey guys, I'm thinking of asking for a laptop for Christmas and I'm wondering if any of you have had good/bad experiences with laptops for recording purposes. I know I need a fast one with good processor and lots of RAM and memory. I'm not getting a Mac. Does anybody have any suggestions to getting a good one? Also, does anybody know if Toneport UX2's gearbox software and audacity are good on Vista? Thanks in advance for any advice.
macs are the best for recording... and all laptops are not great for recording
sup?
Quote by ldl67

haha same thinking same time...
I disagree, I say any laptop with decent sound hardware is good. Macs WONT MAKE YOU SOUND ANY BETTER.

hell, now that they use intel processors they're really just another operating system. Your hardware is what counts. I say get some good hardware and slap on a linux OS for recording.

if your willing to work/learn, you'll save $$$ that way, and there is some great free/open source software for linux. Some distributions (like ubuntu) are so simply my parents can use it and not even tell it isn't windows.

the only cool thing about Macs is the GUI -- which IMO can be matched or bettered by a good linux desktop (there are 3d effects programs that rape Vista and Macs GUIs).

I can't say enough, I'd go linux. And a lot of windows software will run if you use WINE.

If you insist on what your comfortable with

get any decent laptop with GOOD sound hardware, and slap on windows XP (bootleg it off bittorrent, buy it, whatever) JUST DONT LEAVE VISTA ON THERE. vista is crap unless you want DirectX 10 graphics.

as long as you have good hardware the OS means ****. Mac is not gonna make your sound any better, neither is linux honestly (and I'm a Unix buff).
Gear:

Jackson dk2m
MIM strat
peavey jsx 2x12 combo
Recording King RDC-26
Digitch RP1000
Crybaby 535Q
Quote by altgrunge
I'm not familiar with macs, I want something I already know how to use because it's not going to be just for recording, that's just one of the main things. I'm not using great stuff, just a Line 6 and Audacity so I don't need to much stuff from the Mac. Does anybody have any helpful stuff about computers?

If Audacity and a Toneport are all you'll be using then you won't need that much RAM or processing power. My laptop has just 512mb RAM and a 1.7Ghz Dual Core Centrino processor and it handles Cubase just fine, which can be quite a demanding application.
You'll probably want to email Line 6 or check a tech support forum to find out about Vista compatibility for the Toneport, but Audacity is such a simple program that I doubt you'd have a problem with that.

EDIT: You'll need a decent sound card though.
Love is not a victory march.
I currently have an HP ZD8000 series (2 years old, 3 GHz P4, 1 gig of RAM) with Sonar 6 (had Guitar Tracks prior) and a Focusrite io26. I believe Toshiba and HP's are good bets for laptops with heavy duty specs. I think laptops geared towards "desktop" replacement will all have the horses.

Not a recommendation, but some things to keep in mind:
- I noticed when I was looking for USB/firewire controllers, occasionally they would have issues with certain chip sets. Check for these issues before buying the laptop, obviously harder to add an interface card later if there's trouble
- Buy one with a Firewire interface. The FW interfaces I looked at had much better latency specs than the equivalent USB products from the same vendors. (Since they all have USB 2, why not buy some additional flexibility)
- If money an issue buy heavy on the CPU; you can add RAM later... but VST effects are definitely CPU bound. My system can keep up with 8 channels simultaneously.
My Favorite T-Shirt Saying: "Warning: Drummer Playing Guitar"

My Music: Abandon At My Place -- One man heavy observational rock band...

My Fav Gear:
Egnater Tourmaster 4100, Schecter Hellraiser, MXR EQ, Ibanez Weeping Demon, Boss DD-7
Quote by ldl67

You are an absolute tool...and this is the worst advice EVER!!
I have an XP laptop...and i record 8 seperate tracks at once with no problems.
And answer this...if a mac is better..then why do the new ones support Windows and use Intel chips?
Last edited by PsychomanZ at Aug 31, 2007,
Quote by altgrunge
Hey guys, I'm thinking of asking for a laptop for Christmas and I'm wondering if any of you have had good/bad experiences with laptops for recording purposes. I know I need a fast one with good processor and lots of RAM and memory. I'm not getting a Mac. Does anybody have any suggestions to getting a good one? Also, does anybody know if Toneport UX2's gearbox software and audacity are good on Vista? Thanks in advance for any advice.

I dont think the toneports work with vista yet but i know the Mackie Onyx Satellite works with vista at this time.
you may want to go with that

better preamps and quality for the same price as a UX2