im some what of a new guitarist. i dont have much i got a fender starcaster and a peavey blazer amp. i really want to learn guitar but i just dont know where to start at. i know some chords like barre and power (well all i know is the shape) and some triads. i need to have a good grasp before the end of the year. ( im gonna play for my schools band during basketball season our guitarist graduated this past year). i just dont know where or how to start. but i do eventually want to expand into guitar my learning the stlye of some of my favorite artists or genre (the chili peppers of course,some jack johnson, and mostly hard and sorta classic rock and reagge ). so im pretty much open to any ideas.

feel free to im me usin aim my sn is levistraussplaya
Well first learn to read TABS. Then learn your basic chords. C, D, E, A, Em, A7,Em, E7, Dm,D7, etc. I recommend buying a book. Preferably Ernie Ball Phase 1 I believe, it goes over howto hold a pick, position on left hand. Sitting position. Chord progressions. Going over the musical staff with sight reading. The book is really good its like 14 15 bucks too.

Also I recommend getting a guitar teacher 15 bucks half-hour 30 for an hour is about the average.
Quote by duncang
They probably think about it just as much, they just don't admit it.

Having sexual thoughts is like farting, we all do it, it's just that girls never let anyone else know about it.
Last edited by eddiesclone at Aug 16, 2007,
lol ok im not that new, i can read tabs. i can play some songs that i like. i can read the music staff (not very good at sight reading because im a snare drummer for the marching band) i have a book similar to the one u said i just use for finding chords and what not. i dont like it becase it doesnt related much from the chords to explaining y to hold those strings and frets down. i have looked into a teacher but i dont see what i can learn in 30 mins once a week. i think im just looking for a good online guide to something to start me off
Last edited by what i got23 at Aug 16, 2007,
Hi bro,

I'm a big fan of acoustic rock, i.e. jack johnson, ben harper, donavon frankenreiter,etc.. So I think I can help you!

I've recently made a post on this forum where I introduced my new site: Niftyguitar.com There's daily a new lesson available! Songs from Ben Harper, Nirvana, Wyclef Jean, Justin Nozuka, The fray,... are already available.. And i'll start soon with posting some Jack Johnson lessons, but first I want to discuss the basics.

Here's a link to the first lesson!

I hope my site will help you!
Quote by what i got23
lol ok im not that new, i can read tabs. i can play some songs that i like. i can read the music staff (not very good at sight reading because im a snare drummer for the marching band) i have a book similar to the one u said i just use for finding chords and what not. i dont like it becase it doesnt related much from the chords to explaining y to hold those strings and frets down. i have looked into a teacher but i dont see what i can learn in 30 mins once a week.

30 mins did me wonders. If you want to know about why those notes are held, you might want to consider some music theory. Ill help a little im pretty sure you know the string letters EADGBE, from E to F is one fret so is B to C. Everything else is 2 frets. Or 2 semi-tones. A tone is a whole step(2 half steps), a semi-tone is 1 half step. Th
Quote by duncang

Having sexual thoughts is like farting, we all do it, it's just that girls never let anyone else know about it.
Best first scale is the Am Pentatonic
Quote by duncang

Learn the notes on the fretboard, learn the major scale and learn the rules of chord construction...for the kind of stuff you want to play you need to a good chord vocabulary. Don't just learn the finger positions, learn the theory behind chord formation and you'll learn them a lot faster.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
cool going in my favorites right now. to give an idea on what i would play, i played the drunmset last year ill post some songs i remebber. pround mary teqila louie louie, gonna fly now (theme from rocky) eye of the tiger, smoke on the water, old time rockin roll
Quote by what i got23
does any one know a good place to learn chord formation?

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/chords/guide_to_chord_formation.html
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com