I am going to sell my cube 30x and get a small tube amp. Even though It's for bedroom use I often like to crank the volume.

I have some criteria:
FX loop
Controls on the top
Good speaker
Low wattage
Less than $600-$700

The Traynor has a Celestion(sp) which I hear is good, but the Classic 30 has a Blue Marvel speaker which I am unfamiliar with so I am leaning towards the Traynor.

I also like to use pedals so the amp doesn't need lots of distortion or even good distortion, since I can use pedals (but if it has great distortion on it's own I can save some $ on pedals).

The Traynor also comes with a footswitch.

If someone has any other suggestions that meet my criteria I am open to them, I do insist that the controls be on the top rather than on the front.
classic 30. it OWNS!

okay, seriously...

mine didnt come with a footswitch, but ill tell you i definitely dont need a distortion pedal.. the amp's built-in distortion is amazing. lots of power, very simple amp (i dont like tons of knobs and things on my amp, i prefer pedals for all that)... i highly recommend it. my classic 30 has lasted me almost three years now with no problems whatsoever.

i have to admit, i have never tried the other amp, so i cant really say if its any good or not.
Last edited by Guitar_Poet at Aug 16, 2007,
I'd definitely go for the Peavey. I've played that model I think, and it's pretty impressive.
The Peavey gets a lot of love around here, but that Traynor is a terrific amp. Ideally, you'd have the chance to try 'em both out. I'm pretty sure the Traynor's only 15W, though, if that's an issue for you.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
If you're thinking about getting the Traynor, get the YCV20WR, it comes with a Greenback, which is better than the (Rocket 50, I think) that comes in the YCV20. I have the YCV20WR and love it. What kind of music are you planning on playing? It gets a really good rock sound, like AC/DC and a little bit of older metal, like Sabbath, as well as cleans that I really like. If you want it to do more modern metal, you're going to need some sort of a pedal. Overall great amp, and it's made in Canada and based out of Pickering.
The only thing I don't like about the YCV20 is that there is a shared EQ, and because of that, it creates a delay when switching channels, since the caps used in the EQ has to either bleed out or increase the charge they hold.

The YCV40 is about $80 more than the classic 30, and I prefer it over that, the cleans are just as good, separate eq's, and these things you hook onto the tubes to keep them from rattling. Not to mention the metal grille underneath the cloth grille. It's also got two less tubes to replace. The WR version has a vintage 30

Whichever you get, it's gonna be a pretty good amp. I can also use my YCV40 at bedroom levels, and amp satisfied with the sound. But if the delay doesn't bug you, go for the 20.

Also, peavey's speakers are usually pretty bad.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
I don't think the delay when switching channels would bother me to much however:

these things you hook onto the tubes to keep them from rattling

I did not know about this! If the 15W does not have this feature then I would DEFIANTLY get the YCV40 instead.

I mostly play hard rock/alternative I do just a medium amount of distortion.

Anyone know if this anti-rattling system is in the Classic 30?
Last edited by ixelion at Aug 16, 2007,
Quote by ixelion
Anyone know if this anti-rattling system is in the Classic 30?

Actually, it's the Classic 30 that has the tube rattling problem. You can buy a "tube tamer" for it on ebay.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
It's really like a mini harness, two springs attached to a small metal ring that you fit over the tubes, and holds them in.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Does the YCV20/WR have this anti-rattling device or is it just the YCV40WR?
I really have no idea, I don't remember looking into the back for the 20.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

I just looked up the part list for both amps the ycv40WR has a "spring retainer" for the power tubes while the ycv20wr has no such part.

I am guessing the spring retainer is what you were talking about.

Anyway I will inspect the amps before I buy em.
to threadstarter, be aware that new the lassic 30 is ( i think) about 500 USD. the new ones are in a black finish. ive heard you can get a used tweed finish (which looks nicer IMO) classic 30 for agood bit lower price.
Quote by Soma3009
I came up with this kick ass riff on my ukelele when I was 12. Find out two years later, it was smoke on the water. Got my hopes and dreams killed..

Quote by saintjimmy99
you used the right form of "their!" i commend you sir!

^$599 new, but you could probably find one for as low as $250 used, which I've seen frequently.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12