IF you only had 1 choice what would you get???

Yamaha F-310
or Epiphone DR-200????

only those 2
I got to make that Choice in 24 hrs
PLEASE HELP
The Yamaha.

The acoustics from Yamaha are top notch...although I don't know anything about that 310.

I have a FG-370S (Solid Top) and I love it.

Warm lows , and Crystal clear highs.
Member of the Grammar Nazi Club. PM Your41Plague12 to Join.

Member #6 of the Orange Tiny Terror Club
yea the yamaha is better
Proud Owner of a 2006 Taylor GS Big Leaf Maple/ Sitka Spruce
Looking to play more mellow stuff then rocking out.

Yamaha is 110 used
and the Epi is 129 new and has a solid spruce top
Last edited by mikey7sss at Aug 16, 2007,
Martin... I hope you don't need a guitar so badly that you cant buy a Martin because uhh if you can't then its pointless.

Ultimately no matter how much you want a new guitar or new microphone what really matters is if you can really get a good sound out of it.

martins are the best guitars by far from what i've played.. and trust me you want one.. however its like 1,000.. but while you wait to get the money you can improve on your old guitar..
When the sun falls the moon rises...

My attempt at art lasted for an instant and then faded like a candle without oil...

When i get around to making more candles hopefully my art will return in a perfect form that all can appreciate.
Quote by godofthemoon
Martin... I hope you don't need a guitar so badly that you cant buy a Martin because uhh if you can't then its pointless.

Ultimately no matter how much you want a new guitar or new microphone what really matters is if you can really get a good sound out of it.

martins are the best guitars by far from what i've played.. and trust me you want one.. however its like 1,000.. but while you wait to get the money you can improve on your old guitar..

First of all, that wasn't an option. Secondly, what makes you think he has a guitar to begin with? Stop saying that Martin guitars are the answer to everything; they're not.
I cant find anywhere that says that the yamaha has a solid top...does anyone know whether it does or not?
Quote by tom183
I cant find anywhere that says that the yamaha has a solid top...does anyone know whether it does or not?
If it doesn't explicitly mention "solid top", it would be safe to assume that it is laminate especially at this price range.

Quote by mikey7sss
I got to make that Choice in 24 hrs
PLEASE HELP
I will refrain from giving an opinion on which one I would choose, because frankly I haven't played either. However, why the rush? You are probably just giving a hypothetical question, but I would tell you to wait, and consider an alternative: spending a little more for a guitar with a solid top. You will thank yourself later.
Last edited by Negative Burn at Aug 17, 2007,
Quote by Chad48309
First of all, that wasn't an option. Secondly, what makes you think he has a guitar to begin with? Stop saying that Martin guitars are the answer to everything; they're not.

word!
Whoa guys lets not get out of hand here and make attempts to burn the god of the sunn.. I realize alot of you don't fully understand the beauty of Martin Guitars... your ignorance is understood...

All I was trying to say is that A) If you already have a guitar then its pointless to make such a rushing descsion and go with a Yamaha or whatever ever the second one was... becuase B) The quality of both of those guitars in so many ways would not be as fulfilling as a Martin.. now a Taylor perhaps... Dean....not as much..

However even if your in a rush to get one of the latter and more inferior musical instruments well..My advice then would be to seriously reconsider your need for that instrument...

Peace
When the sun falls the moon rises...

My attempt at art lasted for an instant and then faded like a candle without oil...

When i get around to making more candles hopefully my art will return in a perfect form that all can appreciate.
Martin guitars are fantastic, even if they are overpriced. But, this was a multiple choice question. One is better than the other, and they wanted to know which one. Don't call us ignorant just because we're trying to help someone with a question. If you don't have experience with either guitar, then keep your yap shut.

Great music has been played on inferior instruments. Case in point: Charlie Parker. Just before the quintet and him were going to play at Massey Hall, he pawned his sax for some heroin. A plastic Grafton sax was the only one he had to play, and so he had to stick with that. Proving, it's not the instrument, it's the person playing it.
If it doesn't explicitly mention "solid top", it would be safe to assume that it is laminate especially at this price range.

Exactly. In that case the epiphone wins at least on paper. I havent played either though so yeh....
yamaha all the way...
they make fantastic low end acoustics
http://guitar.about.com/od/acousticguitar/tp/top5acoustics.htm
and i can almost garuntee the majority of the people in this thread can get a better sound from a yamaha than than the randomer who thinks hes the shiz cos hes got a martin,
he prob is just a spoilt kid, a man with nothing else to spend money on cos he lives with his mom
i have now got a farida top end d-62n which is 500 quid, but i can garuntee its equal if not better than a martin, its a great guitar without the name, where as a martin is meerley a very good guitar with a overrated name tag.

but to the thread yamaha is what i started out with years ago, i still got my fg series one, and it plays like it did when i bought it, amazing quality for no money basically
" the lick is simply a diminished harmonic minor arpeggiated sequence of dominant stitonics descending down in whole steps in the Phrygian mode...with a raised fourth.
I would pick the Epi Dr200.

I bought the Epi DR100 a few months ago and It's fantastic, pics of it are on my proffile. So if the Epi DR100 was as good as mine is and it doesn't have a solid spruce top, the DR200 must sound amazing.

My opinion.
Quote by godofthemoon
Whoa guys lets not get out of hand here and make attempts to burn the god of the sunn.. I realize alot of you don't fully understand the beauty of Martin Guitars... your ignorance is understood...

All I was trying to say is that A) If you already have a guitar then its pointless to make such a rushing descsion and go with a Yamaha or whatever ever the second one was... becuase B) The quality of both of those guitars in so many ways would not be as fulfilling as a Martin.. now a Taylor perhaps... Dean....not as much..

However even if your in a rush to get one of the latter and more inferior musical instruments well..My advice then would be to seriously reconsider your need for that instrument...

*rolleyes* Stop being pretentious and snobby dude. A martin is no beginner guitar and from this thread it's obvious he is. I don't know about those to guitars but if you haven't got them yet I recommend going into a store and trying them. Even though Yamaha's are generally good quality the epi's solid top might be better. Oh, ****, I just asw that it has been around 24 hours. What did you get in the end?
Quote by godofthemoon

Peace

I believe there is a book called "how to win friends and influence people". I personally have never read it, but perhaps it would be helpful for you.
You may also want to take a while to think and hopefully realize that there are other good guitars out there, and what may be the best guitar for you is not the best guitar for someone else because of price or taste or whatever. Obviously the threadstarter is not interested in spending thousands of dollars on a Martin, if they were they would not be looking to spend what was it? $125 on an epiphone? Seemed pretty simple for me to understand that a Martin was out of the question........

more on topic...
Did you end up buying? I would think the epiphone would be better because of the solid top but in that price range who knows? Personally i would say save up and spend $200 on a Yamaha FG700S, but if thats not possible i would go the epiphone.

Let us know how you went
well hey thanks guys for everything I ended up going with the Epi I liked the sound on it alot more then the yamaha and it was brand new as to the Yamaha being used and it had a couple of dings in it already. My buddy came with me and played both of them and he ended up also buying an Epi.

So I thank all of you who posted even the guy who was the Money to spend on a martin as a beginner acoustic (must be nice) lol

now I got to learn how to play!!!!!

Thanks again guys!

p.s anyone know any easy songs lol
Great! I'm really happy for you. If you preferred it, then it's the right choice. As for easy songs, go in here There are lots of songs there with descriptions and what not. You can probably find the tab here at UG.
the best choice is ultimately ur own choice

congrats on the new purchase
" the lick is simply a diminished harmonic minor arpeggiated sequence of dominant stitonics descending down in whole steps in the Phrygian mode...with a raised fourth.