So basiclly i got an LTD EC-500,
and it has an ebony fretboard thats starting to get a bit mucky, so i bought this swipe thing which cleans the strings and the fretboard, so i cleaned the fretboard with the swipe, the muck came off but it rubbed off some "Black" from the ebony which didn't seem too good, so what should i use to get the grime off the fretboard, and what about general cleaning someone said olive oil to me

Help appreciated
id say GHS Fastfret if u dont have that. Pledge would work too bcuz its not heavily finifhed like the body.
a little dunlop lemon oil. dont use pledge.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
I use water and Q-Tips to clean my fret board...

Works well.
Words to live by: Haters gonna' hate.
some boards are unfinished. water isnt good for unfinished wood.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Quote by jj1565
some boards are unfinished. water isnt good for unfinished wood.

Luckily mines finished. Lot's of boards I've seen are finished really.
maple mostly.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

if its pulling the color out then you probably dont have a true ebony board but rather another wood thats been died
Ibanez S620EX Limited Edition
Ibanez GAX70
Peavey Classic 50
Crate GX-15
Quote by gregevans209
if its pulling the color out then you probably dont have a true ebony board but rather another wood thats been died

Try Dunlop Lemon Oil. If it still comes off, then sue someone
Quote by bendystraw

him:"hey you play guitar"? *swipes without permission* "dOOd your guitars way out of tune."

me:"its in drop D idiot"

him:"ill drop D on your mom!"
Quote by gregevans209

not necessarily true. new rosewood boards rub off too.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by jj1565
maple mostly.

No wonder, I avoid maple, ha.
Quote by jj1565
not necessarily true. new rosewood boards rub off too.

Plus, most companies that sell ebony fretboards on guitars dye it to get a uniform black colour, It's rare to get any kind of wood that's completely one colour. so the black coming off the ebony is most likely dye, especially if the guitar is new, or its the first time you cleaned it.
yep.

all my new guitars rub off on my fingers.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

to get the gunky **** off my fretboard i just scrape it off with my pick or some other soft but firm make shift tool, ive never used anything damp on it