So, I've been putting off a new bass for a long time but now I'm really feeling the new bass itch. In the past I've always bought low end basses and then modded them somewhat to my liking, but I'd like to really step things up and get a bass I won't really feel the need to improve.

That said, I've been looking at the Fender american jazz delux, which is at the very top of my potential price range. I've checked a lot of things out and I'm pretty sure I will get one, but can't find a delux locally to play. I love j-bass necks, and the way the basses sit, I love the typical passive J-bass tone, but also would like the diversity of some active electronics when I need to quickly change things up. Like I said, I've looked at it (online) already but am still hesitent and I just wanted to know if anyone had heard of some downsides to this instrument? I've been playing regular american j-basses, active MIM jazz basses and a million other things and I thought this would be perfect even though I havn't been able to get my hands on one.

Please let me know what you guys think, and help me out.

also if anyone knows I'd like to know if there's any downside to an active/passive switch and what everyone thinkis of the SCN pickups.

all input is much appreciated, Thanks!
This is my axe. I have the 5-string, however. This instrument has no downsides to me, but to some people it has features that may be downsides.

The fit, feel, and finish is top notch, as to be expected. The hardware is good, no design flaws, it has a rolled neck heel to access the frets easier, a 5-bolt neck plate, the works. Abalone inlays are gravy.

The body itself is quite a bit smaller than a traditional Jazz. When put in a case form-fitting to a Jazz, you see that the horns and cutaway are about 1-1.5" shorter than the contours of a traditional Jazz. This is due to the 22-fret neck (as opposed to the traditional 20). You have total fret access to each and every fret. The saddles have multiple grooves, so you can change the string spacing at the bridge. The neck itself is solid, easy to adjust the truss rod, and has graphite support, which is key. The body strings-through-body as well.

SCN pickups are the best Fender-sounding pickups I've ever heard. There's literally no added noise when soloing pickups. They're clear as bells. My MIA Deluxe Fender with maple neck and ash body sounded just as good as a $3000 Custom Classic Fender Jazz. However, the bass has no active-passive switch. The pickups have a blend knob, instead of 2 individual volume knobs. There is a 3-band active EQ.

Tonally, this bass is an elephant. Since 2004 it has an 18V preamp, and that permits for the thickest, burliest output I've heard on a bass. If you're going for this level of bass, make sure your amp isn't a toy. You'll want gear to take advantage of this bass' extremely strong voice. The tone may just be too powerful for some heavy-handed players. The key is not to go crazy on the bass' or the amp's EQ.

This bass is a very modern sounding Fender. Like I said before, it's as clear as a bell, no matter what pickup setting you're on. You'll never escape the ping of fresh strings, even with the treble rolled all the way down. With both pickups on, you have the prototypical slap tone. Favouring the neck pickup thickens things up a bit (I use this setting), while soloing the bridge can give a very nice but very modern Jaco sound. The pickups and electronics truly do show every nuance of your playing, and come equipped to literally shake the foundation of your house. However, the sound is still quite modern (granted not obscenely so like EMG's can be) with an everpresent clarity.

This bass has my sound and I love it. If you have any other more-specific questions, please feel free to ask.

EDIT: You mentioned sitting... the bass' body is shorter, so resting it against your knee may be prone to neck dives in certain situations. Standing, however, you can put the bass wherever you want and it will stay. The reason it's a bit wobbly when seated is because your knee would be farther away from the centre of gravity of the bass with the smaller body and longer neck than a traditional Jazz.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
thanks a ton Fitz, I don't know where I got the idea that this one had an activ/ passive switch, I guess i was misinformed somwhere.

This is exactly the kind of in depth info I was looking for, I've read a lot of shallow reviews and played similar basses but this is immensly better. I didn't even have a clue that the body was smaller than a standard american j-bass (though I'm not a large fella at 5'5" and that sounds nice).

You've definately given me more to think about, I'll messege you with any more in depth questions I might have, and I'm sure I'll be on the boards bragging if I get it lol. Thanks again.
Not a problem. However, I really suggest you pay close attention to what wood you want; ash/alder for the body, and maple/rosewood for the fingerboards.

EDIT:

There's the difference in size of the bodies. The three lines are for top horn, bottom horn, and cutaway depth.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Last edited by thefitz at Aug 16, 2007,
from the numerous am deluxe js ive played. i cant find a downside. theyre amazing basses
MusicMan Stingray 4 HH
Modded Fender MIM J-Bass
Fender American Deluxe Ash Strat
Ibanez limited edition walnut EW acoustic #202/250
Fender Bassman 250 2x10 combo
Vox AD50VT
Quote by Charlatan_001
Man... now I want an Am Deluxe Jazz! Fitz, you're a good salesman.

Finally, I'm good at something...
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by Charlatan_001
Man... now I want an Am Deluxe Jazz! Fitz, you're a good salesman.

yeah I have to say that "thickest burliest output" part got to me lol There's a lot of good hooks in there.
Quote by dullsilver_mike
yeah I have to say that "thickest burliest output" part got to me lol There's a lot of good hooks in there.

Well, being pragmatic, this could be a downside. For example, if you get carried away with the EQ, your E and A strings will sound much bigger than the D and G. For example, on my bass, I set the preamp with a very slight bass boost, mids turned 3/4 up, and treble almost cranked.
Quote by Cody_Grey102