Okay so I have had something weird happen today.. I was tuning my Acoustic Takamine and I heard this loud pop, looked down and the bridge had snapped in half while i was tuning. Which was odd because the string didn't snap. Soes fast forward, I go to guitar center with broken bridge in hand and buy an exact replacement, go home put it on, put new strings, and bridge on, but now here's the problem. Ive let the strings rest over night to stretch and what not, but they wont keep tune. I keep tuning and then playing.. resting it for an hour or so , go back tune play again.. and it still wont keep tune.. Also it doesn't sound right its not as deep of tone as it used to be with the same strings on, and theres this odd re verb humming after I play chords.. Is it just the new string I should let it rest more syndrome, or have I put the bridge on wrong.. which i know i didn't.. or could that pop been something more than just the bridge snapping in two.. I need help because my next choice is to cart my beloved guitar to the repair shop :S All help is greatly needed private message me or what not.. I thank all people willig to help in advance!

Kind Regards,
Shawna
Don't Say What you feel If it Stinks of Disorder
The bridge snapped in half? I have a difficult time believing that a bridge snapped in half that way. You mean the saddle? Pictures of the predicament (i.e. broken "bridge") would help.
nope it was the bridge , little piece made of bone Unless Im mistaken.. which knowing me I probably am (Yep I was .. it's the saddle that snapped in two :S. Either way i got the exact same part new strings and my guitar still doesnt sound right .. I dont know what else it could be :S
Last edited by lilysintrigue at Aug 16, 2007,
This is interesting.. and a perfect time for a woman joke which i'll keep to myself. but still BROKE IN HALF..

Depending on how you tune strings can really affect how much it stays in tune... For instances I hope you wrap the string around the tuning knob and then put it through the hole.. Also try putting on the 3rd (G) string first then work out from to tune evenly on the guitar
When the sun falls the moon rises...

My attempt at art lasted for an instant and then faded like a candle without oil...

When i get around to making more candles hopefully my art will return in a perfect form that all can appreciate.
Strings are wound right i keep tuning them , i replaced the G string first, since dean strings aren't expensive, and the others i brought 3 weeks ago, so I thought I would keep the others for backup.. thing is every time I tune the strings then play immediately after i play the first chord the strings go out of tune... so i replaced the other strings this afternoon... point in case its not the strings.. the saddle is correctly placed, but the guitar keeps going out of tune... what else could be causing this .. argh this is frustrating
help..
Sounds like something is moving a bit which would do it. Probably the saddle. Or it could be the intonation being off and you notice it as you play down the neck. I would take it in to your local guitar store and have them fix it. Since the Saddle broke and the guitar is 3 weeks old I would assume they replaced it so take it back and tell them it isn't right. Should be free.
It could be that your saddle is that crappy TUSQ material, and it's creating grooves from the tension, thereby slacking the strings. Mine did that the first week I had it.
How often are you changing strings.. I mean you have to give them a grace period...Its not like PUT ON NEW STRINGS AT 5PM AND AT 5:15 WHEN THEIR OUT OF TUNE YOU CHANGE THEM AGIAN IS IT?

your guitar should adjust somewhat and yeah if it goes out of tune alittle then thats normal..Did i forget to say that its wise to bend the strings a bit to get them adjusted to the neck.. or whatever their attached too.. Its just that you need to give your strings some time to ADJUST.. and if you have to keep putting it in tune.. well hey.. deal with it and play on little girl
When the sun falls the moon rises...

My attempt at art lasted for an instant and then faded like a candle without oil...

When i get around to making more candles hopefully my art will return in a perfect form that all can appreciate.
I just replaced the strings because the g string broke and i figured why not just replace them all.. I know im supposed to let the strings rest which is what i am doing but the thing is there is a humming and certain notes I play down the neck it gets worse .. Soes Im going to go with inotation and take it back to the guitar shop and let the fellas there check my little guitar out!! Thanks for all the help .. and such!! It is greatly appreciated!

Lata
Shawna
is the saddle slanted i.e. have you got it in the right way round? Is the guitar electric / accoustic? as the piezo pickup under the saddle may have moved.
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

Head Drug Tester of Australians FTWclub
PM the_random_hero for entry

Prime Minister of the UG archtop acoustic players club,
PM Keef_is_King
to join!
Quote by Dix_Fix
is the saddle slanted i.e. have you got it in the right way round? Is the guitar electric / acoustic? as the piezo pickup under the saddle may have moved.

Its electric / acoustic.. the saddle is in perfect position and right way around... I am going to let it rest until Monday and see if that helps anymore if not I'm taking it to the shop... this sucks big time :S Okay in relation to the piezo pickup how can that be corrected .. or will a shop have to fix that little problem for me .. argh plan and simple Im not messing with it anymore after Monday if its not sounding right and will just cart it off to the repair shop.. Thanks again guys for helping a Chicka out

Lata,
Shawna
Don't let it rest. Play it, tune it up, play it, tune it up. It'll probably still go out of tune while you're playing it, but let it. Then tune it up again. Bottom line, they won't stretch unless you keep them tuned up, and the quick way to tune them back down again is to play them.