Page 1 of 2
Anyone into dredg here? I really like the whole dream concept behind El Cielo. Catch Without Arms and Leitmotif are good ones, too.
I don't think Leitmotif has left my CD player since I bought it. I highly recommend this band to everyone.
If you like that one, I'd definitely suggest getting El Cielo, That's generally considered their best work. An Elephant in the Delta Waves is such a cool song .

I think the word to best describe dredg would be "thoughtful."
Ah, another Dredg thread..good! I made one sometime ago and it died off quite quickly. I guess not too many fans around here. It'd actually be nice if we could keep this thread alive.
Anyway, I love Dredg and El Cielo is probably my favorite album. I too like the concept behind it and their art and whatnot. Very interesting.

I think the word to best describe dredg would be "thoughtful."

Heh, there you go. Thoughtful.
I've never really been able to describe the band in one word.
^yeah, Ode to the Sun kicks ass. That's probably one of my favorite songs from this band. That one and Same ol' Road. Though Jamais Vu is freakin' great as well. And so is Convalescent. Hehe, I can't decide on which is my favorite.
I really like Triangle (No wait.... Δ ), especially the transition with the long silence. Ode to the Sun and Sang Real are both good ones too.

Apparrantly El Cielo was inspired by a Dali painting, whose title is the acronym in the first track: "Dream Caused by the Flight of a Bee around a Pomegranate a Second Before Awakening." I'd post a link, but it has nudity, and even though it's probably allowed since it's art, I'm still paranoid .
well, I liked Live at Filmore a lot. however, got bored after a while. they're still on my playlist though, and from time to time, I still listen to their songs. I have to admit there are some real masterpieces in there
the proud owner of:
Martin OMC-1E acoustic
ESP Ltd Viper 301 vintage sunburst
PEAVEY classic 50 212 combo amp
Just bought 3 of their albums after checking out a few songs on Last FM. I personally think that they've got better with every album, as so far I've found Leitmotif a bit dull (though I've only listened to it once and a bit so I recognise it's the kind of album which will take a while to get into), El Cielo is cool but the singing in particular is pretty annoying ("Heeere we gooooooooooo down that saaaame old roooad agaaaaain"...sigh). Catch Without Arms ****ing pwns your face though. Catch Without Arms, Hungover On A Tuesday and Jamais Vu are my favourites so far.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
Yeah, I've got to say that I also found Leitmotif quite boring at first. It takes a few listens to really get into it. Still my least favorite though...I don't listen to it quite as much as I do the others. I've yet to pick up Live at the Fillmore..sadly.
Gavin's Vocals sound a lot less developed and distinctive on Leitmotif. The recording quality is meh, too. Fillmore's good, though, they seem like a good live band. It's got two new songs on it: The Warbler and Stone By Stone, so that's neat.
Ah, I had no idea there were new songs on Fillmore. I just got some financial aid back from school so I might just go pick it up tomorrow, heh. What do you think of the new tracks, by the way?

Also, I've heard mixed reviews about their live show. Some people love them and others say they're not that great. Hopefully they'll tour extensively once the new album is out. As of now I think they're only doing CA. Anyone know when the new album will be out by any chance?
Haha, gotta love spending leftover financial aid money .

This is what I got from wikipedia about the album:
On July 8, 2007, frontman Gavin Hayes posted a MySpace bulletin with new information on a forth-coming album and tour. The band will tour the West Coast in September and then enter the studio to finish off the fourth studio album for a first half release in 2008. Hayes said that the band has 12-15 songs that may or may not make the final cut, with more songs expected to be written during the recording process. Of the songs previously performed or mentioned in other updates, only "Ireland", "Quotes", "Wondrous Miracle", and "Push Away" are listed as being worked on. A new song titled "Light Switch" also might make the cut.

First half release? I take it that means the first half of 2008? At first I thought that was saying it's a double album or something, but that wouldn't make much sense seeing that they said they only had 12-15 songs.

About the new songs, I like The Warbler, it has an eerie quality to it that's very dredg. It's pretty short though, a bit over 2 minutes. Maybe it'll be longer on the new record. Stone by Stone is good, a little more upbeat, but I like it slightly less than The Warbler.
Ah, next year then. For some reason I thought we would get it sometime this year...at the end. Would have been a nice Christmas gift. I double album would be great but I highly doubt we'd get something like that.
And I just bought Live at the Fillmore today. Awesome album though I'm slightly disappointed Jamais Vu isn't on there..then again, I don't even know if that's a song that shows up on their live set or not.
I've seen a couple vids of it on Youtube, so it is played, I guess it just wasn't played that night. Ah well :/
So i have a few tracks, but the first album to get is _________?
"There are millions of people in the world, and none of those people are an extra. They're all leads in their own stories."
<//////>~
I prefer Catch Without Arms.
Quote by justinb904

Quote by MetalMessiah665

Quote by azzemojo
Catch Without Arms is easier to swallow at first, i think. Either one is a good though.
Once, I tried to stop listening to Leitmotif. I lasted a couple of weeks.

Just a brilliant album and a brilliant band.

[/super constructive post]
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Leitmotif is a good album, but it's probably the one album I listen to least.
Damn, cant find Catch Without Arms or El Cielo on torrentz.....
"There are millions of people in the world, and none of those people are an extra. They're all leads in their own stories."
<//////>~
^Well, I have a link from which you can quickly download Catch Without Arms. I'll send it to you in a PM if you'd like.
^ Yes please
<//////>~
Thanks for the link.

I'm loving Catch Without Arms
<//////>~
^yeah, no problem. Glad you're enjoying it. It's an awesome album. 'Jamais Vu
is one of my favorite tracks off that one.
Damn I'm craving El Cielo.

Anyone know where I can get it from? With out paying...
<//////>~
^ Thanks!

El Cielo is awesome!

I love the Bulgarian(sp) Chants going on in it.
<//////>~
^No problem! I love El Cielo..it's great. Though it did take me a little longer to really appreciate that album than it did Catch Without Arms. 'Same ol' Road' is probably one of my favorite song off that album...actually, it's one of my favorite Dredg tracks.
Quote by duncang
I personally think that they've got better with every album
part of me wants to agree with this, part of me loves El Cielo too much. i guess im caught between it and CWA.

has anyone heard any of the new stuff? they have a song called Ireland, i would hope that that gives them no ****ing excuse not to play here
mega bump (did a search couldnt find any more recent thread) but i just heard ode to the sun on pandora and instantly feel in love with them.

anyone reccomend any albums or something?
Gear
-Ibanez RG321 ( /w D-Sonic)
-Agile AL-3100 (/w Custom + '59)
-Yamaha FG730S
-Crybaby 535Q
-Keeley TS-9
-ISP Decimator
-B-52 AT-212
Quote by Mental-lica
My hats off to you mr. lanzaa and you can put this in your sig

M en
E jaculating
T o
A wful
L yrics
Catch Without Arms has Ode To The Sun on it and is the same kind of style. El Cielo is similar, but more progressive and experimental, and Leitmotif is heavier, very out there.
Quote by justinb904

Quote by MetalMessiah665

Quote by azzemojo
yeah, if you're looking for something that sounds similar to Ode to the Sun, you might just want to start off with Catch Without Arms. I think that was the first album I bought and really loved for a long time...until I discovered El Cielo. Though it did kinda take me quite a few listens to really appreciate that album.
I got all three of them at the same time, but yeah Catch Without Arms was definitely the easiest to get into.
Quote by justinb904

Quote by MetalMessiah665

Quote by azzemojo
i see. so after catch without arms what album would say u say is best to get next?
Gear
-Ibanez RG321 ( /w D-Sonic)
-Agile AL-3100 (/w Custom + '59)
-Yamaha FG730S
-Crybaby 535Q
-Keeley TS-9
-ISP Decimator
-B-52 AT-212
Quote by Mental-lica
My hats off to you mr. lanzaa and you can put this in your sig

M en
E jaculating