e---------5-6-8
B----5-7-8----
G-5-7--------

Please!
Quote by Johnljones7443
my neew year reslosutions are not too drikn as much lol.

happy new yeeae guyas.
Thank you.
What are important chords for this scale?
Quote by Johnljones7443

happy new yeeae guyas.
C lydian dominant features the notes C D E F# G A Bb

His scale has A B D E F G Gb Ab

I found my note listing for C lydian dominant in the guitar grimoire, so either you are incorrect or I am missing something if I am missing some can you please clarify how his not choice fits into C lydian dominant for me?
Quote by sidereal9
C lydian dominant features the notes C D E F# G A Bb

His scale has A B D E F G Gb Ab

I found my note listing for C lydian dominant in the guitar grimoire, so either you are incorrect or I am missing something if I am missing some can you please clarify how his not choice fits into C lydian dominant for me?

look at his scale again, it features the notes c d e f# and g, I didnt bother to look at the last 2 notes. The first note is the fifth fret of the g string. g-g#-a-a#-b-C is the first note, then go on from there.
Patrick Star of The Jelly fishing Club PM darkstar2644 to Join
those last two notes are what throws me off the rest fit the lydian dominant but those two out notes are what confused me,,,basically i am not a scale master and I know some scales ascend and descend differently but those last two notes in this case are you guys considering them to be notes outside of the scale for added tension?Hence relating it to lydian dominant or what?
on the e string the 5-6-8 notes are A, A# (Bb), and C, so we have the notes of the said scale. You probably made a typo or a simple mistake somewhere. : /
Patrick Star of The Jelly fishing Club PM darkstar2644 to Join
lol yes i made a very simple mistake I wont name what it is but very very simple makes more sense now
Sid, use the edit button under your posts to avoid double posting please.

The scale is G melodic minor or any one of its modes.. G Melodic Minor, A Dorian b2, Bb Lydian +, C Lydian Dominant, D Mixo b13, E Locrian Nat.2 or F# Altered.

I would never unequivocally name it C Lydian Dominant with no harmonic context, as is the case.

Also, sid - calling a Lydian Dominant chord _7b5 is not only specious, but illogical. The correct label would be _7#11.
actually i am basing my chord reference directly from a book but a simple enough progression he could play over that seemed to work for me was a C9 to G minor it seemed to sound good over that
Quote by sidereal9
actually i am basing my chord reference directly from a book

That's fine - but it is a de facto standard to call a Lydian Dominant chord as _7#11 and not _7b5.

Voicings aside.. when the OP sees the label _7b5 he will usually be expected to play something other than Lydian Dominant - I was trying to avoid him being misguided into thinking he will commonly see the _7b5 label as part of melodic minor harmony (from where the Lydian Dominant scale is derived) that implies a chord built from Lydian Dominant.
Thank you very much.
Quote by Johnljones7443

happy new yeeae guyas.
Quote by Johnljones7443
That's fine - but it is a de facto standard to call a Lydian Dominant chord as _7#11 and not _7b5.

Voicings aside.. when the OP sees the label _7b5 he will usually be expected to play something other than Lydian Dominant - I was trying to avoid him being misguided into thinking he will commonly see the _7b5 label as part of melodic minor harmony (from where the Lydian Dominant scale is derived) that implies a chord built from Lydian Dominant.

very true john since it is derived from the melodic scale it may cause confusion but with the C9 to Gminor and the 7b5 chords i was only trying to give him a list of options to choose from,,,because i know myself when i ask for help i want as many options as possible i am still new to theory myself so thank you for the clarification and to darthie i hope everyone helped you
Quote by Johnljones7443

There was a thread a while back with a huge argument about this. It boiled down to the fact that logically the lydian dominant chord is 7#11, but in practise lydian dominant can fit over 7b5 chords too (as b5 sounds the same as #4).
Quote by VR2005
Very good post Marmoseti, you're on the right track.

Because footstools are cool - UG's Classical Guitarists

PM Marmoseti or Confusius to join
^I know - I was the one arguing with some dude in it, lol.

There was no argument that #4 didn't sound the same as b5, it is incorrect to label the chord _7b5 on paper when the underlying harmony and melody is derived from Lydian Dominant. Nothing to do with how the chord is voiced (i.e if it has a perfect fifth or not) - which was the argument given to the contrary.
Actually the way it happened is that someone asked what lydian dominant was. The 1st posts were all saying how its a lydian scale with a b7. I thought I would be helpful and point out that its good to look at it as a dominant scale with a #11/b5 instead becuase the scale works over dominant chords and gives them an altered b5/#11 sound. I pointed this out becuase if you think of it as a dominant type of scale you can make the connection with its application... over dominant type chords.
Then as many threads here do... it became a long and pointless argument. Actually it was more like a gang beating.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Aug 17, 2007,