Ok, bad title, couldnt think of anything else

Anyway, when alt picking (or playing anything in general, should the extra finggers on the right hand be let loose and oint outwards towards the controls (no tension though) or keep them in like gilbert?
personal preference imo, whatever is most comfortable

my fingers are anchored most of the time
i play with my pinky a little anchored under the front end of the bridge pickup with all fingers in except my middle finger. a mix of hammet and petrucci. i personally find all fingers out adds tension but its just what feels comfortable to you.

EDIT: now that i examine my technique it changes frequently

when i play on the 4th,5th, 6th strings my fingers are out but when i move to the other 3 i play as i said before. weird but it works.
Quote by csn00b
I hate seeing cute girls topless and what not, it just feels wrong.
Last edited by jpgilbert701 at Aug 17, 2007,
yeah all of my fingers flair out in a flamboyant star shape, and i anchor my palm on top of the bridge pickup..no tension problems yet..been playing for 3 years
Quote by yawn
There are most certainly not the same thing. They share the same notes, but then again a hamburger and vomit could share the same molecular composition.

Need a laugh?

Quote by GeneralGrim
Lmao. You, sir, just made my year.
I completely float my arm and my fingers are like inbetween tucked in and completely stuck out, a bit like a claw i guess - it's just so i can have the ability to fiddle with pick angle easily with my thumb and forefinger
Quote by duggyrocks
Ok, bad title, couldnt think of anything else

Anyway, when alt picking (or playing anything in general, should the extra finggers on the right hand be let loose and oint outwards towards the controls (no tension though) or keep them in like gilbert?

Hold your arms relaxed by your side. That's what your hand shoud look like, relaxed. Whether that for some reason makes your fingers point out like Mr.Scary is your problem!
Quote by Freepower
Hold your arms relaxed by your side. That's what your hand shoud look like, relaxed. Whether that for some reason makes your fingers point out like Mr.Scary is your problem!

Isn't Mr Scary George Lynch...?

Anyways, I just did that, and thats not how have it when I pick. Hmm, there must tension there...
^ not necessarily all that much, its just that most people don't actually have a clue what a relaxed hand looks like (once you try and apply that to a guitar situation) and that helps em out.
i play unanchored, just cause it's what i got used to. my thumb and pointer hold the pick, and the other three fingers just kind of hang there loosely. they're not straight, but they're out, and kind of curved. just relaxed i guess.