I've searched and haven't been able to find any previous threads on this, so off we go.

I'm finally changing my GSR200s strings for the first time. They're old and, once more, stock. I would greatly appreciate any suggestions. Longevity, tone, styles, tension. Let me know what brands you like and exactly why. Nothing too expensive because this is just a cheap bass I like to mess around with, but I'd like to know about some hi-end strings as well for future reference.

As for what I personally will be playing on these...Metallica, Sabbath, Maiden, the occasional funk just for fun (so not a huge priority in this set of strings, but I'd still like to know). Usually I play with fingers, but I use a pick on occasion. I really like Geezer's tone, so if anyone knows what he uses (yes I know I have a cheapo bass, but indulge me).

Would you buy high or low tension strings to the play the above bands and metal in general? If you don't already know, the GSR200 is an active P/J configuration, if that enters into the equation.

Thanks in advance...
Ibanez SR-500
Schecter C1 Blackjack
Ibanez GSR200
Classical acoustic

G&K Backline 600 + Goldline 210GLX cab
Vox AD30VT
Crate G40C XL
Crate BT15
EH Metal Muff
Digitech Grunge
Danelectro Fab Overdrive
M-Audio Ozonic
Tascam M-308
I like Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinkys because they have great clarity and a bright tone. May or may not be what you want.
Oh Shit!
I like elixir strings. They feel really nice. They're expensive, but they last really long so its worth it.
Quote by catchy phrase
I like Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinkys because they have great clarity and a bright tone. May or may not be what you want.

Hybrid's are designed for downtuning though, so unless you plan on doing that often, go for the slinkies or super slinkies.

Or you could try DR's, they last forever and sound great.
Quote by Demonikk
+1
I live by the method: 3 or less orange warning labels, and it's safe as a kitten

Quote by Charlatan_001
EDIT: Sammcl pretty much got it dead on.
Fender Flatwounds. I can get a really nice, dull and heavy tone with these or super bright with some eq. plus they feel AMAZING
i thought i had magic fingers once, and had uncovered the fountain of love.

turns out my girlfriend was just peeing on me.
Quote by catchy phrase

I like the Ernie Ball super slinky better.
Fender Jazz -> Line 6 Bass Podxt Live -> SWR Working Man

I know you like it
The problem I had when I tried ernie balls is they died very quickly, not good when I paid £13 or however much it was for them.

I've always used rotosound 40-100 gauge nickel wound, however I do have a very light touch when I play so these could be too light for you.

Other brands to check out are DR (they do strings in all sorts of pretty colours, as well as ones optimised for high/low end response, I need to try these myself), D'addario, Elixer (expensive, but as said before the idea is they last twice as long, so technically you do save money, however I have heard if you play with a pick alot this can wear off the coating around the strings making them last as long as regular strings) and GHS.

Personally I prefer rotosound as they have fantastic feel, tone, longevity and are cheap (£10 a set with free shipping on stringsdirect.co.uk)
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
Quote by Joe-Fish
D'Addarios, I'm going to stick with these. They keep a nice punchy tone.

I agree, they are not the greatest of strings, but they sound good if not as nice as others, are very durable, and are cheap. Great for people that beat the hell out of their strings, or don't clean them at all and need to change them often.
DR all the way
A T-bird and a Big Muff in your GAS list!? Egad man, are you trying to kill me!?
Fender MIM Jazz Bass
Line6 LD150Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join
EB Hybrid Slinky's give me the tone and feel I like best... for a couple of weeks, then they just die. If I had more money, I'd use them exclusively. I change brands and gauge around often for this reason. Though I like Rotosound as a second choice. They're cheap, and if I have a run of gigs coming up I'll buy a bunch of Rotosound just to keep my sound consistant.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
I normally use Warwick black strings (45 - 105). They're quite expensive but they have a very good sound and they live a long time.
Quote by WalWurst
I normally use Warwick black strings (45 - 105). They're quite expensive but they have a very good sound and they live a long time.

x1
if you can't be a good example
be a bad warning

Quote by aequitasveritas
lol, so i got a boner this one time and i was watching tv, so i decided to hump the little crack between the two cushions of the couch. yeah.

www.free-game-downloads.mosw.com
I use 105, 85, 65, 55,
The reason I use a 55 (G) is that I find 40/45s weak, the 55 has much more punch.
The brand is whatever the store has in stock that you can personaly select your gauges, the standard gauge for the 1st (G) used to be 54.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn