my band is playing a party in 4 weeks, and we have been asked to come up with a mixed set list. Most of my bandmates don't listen to much mainstream music, and I don't listen to any, but this is what I've come up with.

Yellowcard - ocean avenue
Red jumpsuit apparatus - face down
Jimmy eat world - the middle
Goodnight nurse - milkshake
Vanilla ice - ice ice baby
The living end - tainted love
Sum 41 - the hell song
Blink 182 - dammit
Greenday - American idiot

Yeah, I know, its a bit random. So could anyone suggest some fun songs to play that should get people moving, or at least singing along?

Theres 150-200 people attending, and people like metal, rap, punk, emo, pop, techno, etc, so im trying to give something for everyone, but its a bit hard

And yes, I know the songs arent exactly new
Dude your pretty much screwed! Your covering all pop/punk songs and not every one wants to hear that. Also if your covering that much songs then it should take you at least 2 months to get them down with a band sooo your pretty screwed. ANd play something original too.
1# member of R.I.P layne staley club pm me to join
Coolest people on UG
Alucard ll
Kendawg4TooL
XeNoCiDe730
Thembones 16
Stepco
Ticks&Leeches
theWretched
Sadisticmonkey
michelangelo!
Kartman
DownInAhole
rockon1824
Rhinosaur Bones
Vanilla Ice is a good choice for a party song.
Personally, I'd use a different opener and closer, but hey - your choice pal, and at least with American idiot, you've got a high-energy song to close on. Remember, the beginning & the end are the main things you need to get right .

FREEBIRD! Sorry, had to be said.
TBH a covers list for a party like that is the best idea - Unless people are actually coming to this for your sakes. lol Although you've given me the idea of trying to do ice ice in a rock style, so thanks for that
The rig:
Gibson SG faded special -> Marshall MG 50/100 (working on a valve amp)
Backup: Vintage AV1
Newcastle United
Last edited by Korzack at Aug 17, 2007,
play some nirvana =]

floyd the barber, big cheese, one of them, not teen spirit =P

and erm... maybe some light metal?

try tantric - breakdown, very nice song =]
My Band =]
We play some goffic pish
Its fun

Leave us a comment, we'll get back to you =]
Quote by Lukeisonfire
Dude your pretty much screwed! Your covering all pop/punk songs and not every one wants to hear that. Also if your covering that much songs then it should take you at least 2 months to get them down with a band sooo your pretty screwed. ANd play something original too.

umm... no. It took us 6 days, and 3 2 hour practices to get them, including getting the vocals on key. They obviously aren't all pop/punk songs, if you even read the list. It shouldn't take any half decent band 2 months to learn 9 songs. And we are playing originals also, these are the cover songs.

Quote by Korzack
Vanilla Ice is a good choice for a party song.
Personally, I'd use a different opener and closer, but hey - your choice pal, and at least with American idiot, you've got a high-energy song to close on. Remember, the beggining & the end are the main things you need to get right .

yeah we haven't decided on an order yet, I just sorted them into Drop D & standard. I wouldn't mind some opinions on the order too!

We're playing a total of 14 songs, plus we're busting out the acoustics at some stage during the night for some good old fashioned sing-a-longs.
oh, the acoustic stuff will probably be the usual, shimmer, wonderwall, sweet home alabama, tribute and some others. Im hoping to do classico by tenacious d if I can be bothered practicing it.
Maybe in bad taste, but try date rape by Sublime for a party song
The rig:
Gibson SG faded special -> Marshall MG 50/100 (working on a valve amp)
Backup: Vintage AV1
Newcastle United
ice ice baby sounds good enough on its own!

I've tried to do heavier versions before, but its just not as fun.
Quote by Cofflecakes
umm... no. It took us 6 days, and 3 2 hour practices to get them, including getting the vocals on key. They obviously aren't all pop/punk songs, if you even read the list. It shouldn't take any half decent band 2 months to learn 9 songs. And we are playing originals also, these are the cover songs.

yeah we haven't decided on an order yet, I just sorted them into Drop D & standard. I wouldn't mind some opinions on the order too!

We're playing a total of 14 songs, plus we're busting out the acoustics at some stage during the night for some good old fashioned sing-a-longs.

The ones I know on that list are either pop or pop-punk.

To learn them right, and play them perfectly 99% of the time, yes, it will take that long. Especially since you're doing originals as well.

I suggest taking out Ice Ice Baby. Any musicians in the audience will hate you for it. It'd be much wiser to do either Under Pressure, or a medley of the two.
My guitar modification blog.
Quote by MuffinMan
Jesus was all like "To those about to rock, I salute you." then he grabbed his mighty axe and rocked the Romans out really hard. Of course they were strict classical music so....
Quote by Black Star
The ones I know on that list are either pop or pop-punk.

To learn them right, and play them perfectly 99% of the time, yes, it will take that long. Especially since you're doing originals as well.

I suggest taking out Ice Ice Baby. Any musicians in the audience will hate you for it. It'd be much wiser to do either Under Pressure, or a medley of the two.

Ice Ice Baby is such pop punk, isn't it. As is Milkshake.

And no, it doesn't take that long. If you are a competent musician, theres no reason it will take you 2 months to get 9 songs perfect 99% of the time. Even to learn the songs by ear, it shouldn't take more than a few hours each. Especially simple songs such as these. I mean, how long would ice ice baby take to learn by ear? 10, 15 minutes?

Who cares if musicians hate me for it? Nearly everyone there will know the song, and being the drunk teenagers that they are, will sing & move to it. But we are considering replacing it with another rap song of some kind, because rap is fun!
I didn't think the set-list was that bad. The only song I would really drop is the Hell Song. My band used to cover that at bars/parties and it was a good way to have no audience left.
I was once heavily prominent on these forums from 2004-2007, let's see how long I can stay now that I'm back.
Quote by Cofflecakes
Ice Ice Baby is such pop punk, isn't it. As is Milkshake.

And no, it doesn't take that long. If you are a competent musician, theres no reason it will take you 2 months to get 9 songs perfect 99% of the time. Even to learn the songs by ear, it shouldn't take more than a few hours each. Especially simple songs such as these. I mean, how long would ice ice baby take to learn by ear? 10, 15 minutes?

Who cares if musicians hate me for it? Nearly everyone there will know the song, and being the drunk teenagers that they are, will sing & move to it. But we are considering replacing it with another rap song of some kind, because rap is fun!

Ice Ice Baby is a pop-ish song. I said every song that I know on that list is either pop or pop-punk.

I was just giving advice. And with those songs, I guess it wouldn't take too long, but I'm not talking 9 songs by yourself. Playing as a band is much different than playing in your room to your cat. To get everybody playing together, every song perfectly without anybody ever messing up, it'll take a while.

The "who cares" attitude is why you won't get anywhere as a band. I know if I heard that intro, and then heard the band playing Ice Ice Baby, I would be throwing shit at the band, and I'm usually against that. If your audience is focused towards drunk teenagers, have fun playing 20-person gigs all your life. Besides, most drunk teenagers may sing along with it, but they'll be laughing their asses off later.

If you must do rap, do something worth listening to. There are plenty of decent rap artists out there, why did you have to choose one of the worst? The only way you could have gotten worse is if you decided to cover 50 Cent.

If you're just going to post "who cares" when somebody criticizes your list, don't bother posting.
Quote by MuffinMan
Jesus was all like "To those about to rock, I salute you." then he grabbed his mighty axe and rocked the Romans out really hard. Of course they were strict classical music so....
Last edited by Black Star at Aug 18, 2007,
This is kind of turning into a fight, and Black Star is kind of making himself out to be a twat. My band played a ton of covers and learned them very quickly, and yes that was together as a WHOLE band. It's not that hard, like Cofflecakes said, any competent musician should be able to do that.
I do however like the setlist, I like that you don't worry about playing stuff you like and you're not above playing Greenday.
Quote by altgrunge
This is kind of turning into a fight, and Black Star is kind of making himself out to be a twat. My band played a ton of covers and learned them very quickly, and yes that was together as a WHOLE band. It's not that hard, like Cofflecakes said, any competent musician should be able to do that.
I do however like the setlist, I like that you don't worry about playing stuff you like and you're not above playing Greenday.

Good for me. When I said the time, I was also referring to his acoustic setlist and the originals. I even stated that in my first post.

By posting setlists in here, people should expect criticism. By backlashing against it, it just fuels the fire.
Quote by MuffinMan
Last edited by Black Star at Aug 18, 2007,
my whole band knows every song on that list. I don't learn songs sitting at home with my cat. I learn them with the other guitarist by sitting in a studio and listening to them.

The reason the list is how it is is mostly due to requests from the person hosting the party. I was given a list of her favourite songs & bands, and told to choose, or to add what i thought would be good. I don't listen to mainstream music, and I never have. I hadn't even heard American Idiot until she asked me if we could play it. I wanted advice, because I KNOW I need help figuring out what songs to play. I can admit when im wrong, and admit when im being an idiot.

Maybe I have a "bad" list. 90% of those songs I'd never heard, the other 10% I didn't know it until I heard it again. All I wanted was help, and advice, because for every other cover gig I have played, I've been given a set list, this is my first I've had to decide upon by myself.

So maybe if someone could actually offer useful advice, this thread would be worth its space, instead of turning into some bull**** flame war
should i stay or should i go
teenage kicks
song 2
wild thing

went down a treat at my gig
edit: just looked closer at the setlist, realised maybe these arent the best choices.
try 1985 by bowling for soup, its a real laugh to play
Last edited by johnsjollygiant at May 25, 2008,