What equipment do you need to bias your amp, on your own?

and how do you do it lol, cos I can't afford getting a tech to do it =P

Thanks in advance

edit : it is a fixed bias amp, with 2 el34's, if that helps
My Band =]
We play some goffic pish
Its fun

Leave us a comment, we'll get back to you =]
Last edited by FNAFJ at Aug 17, 2007,
theres no other threads on biasing yor amp, and I did do a search
My Band =]
We play some goffic pish
Its fun

Stop bumping and it's frowned upon to triple post. You haven't even given the forum an hour. Wait a few days, if anyone knows they'll respond.

Instead of asking again and again, have you tried searching the internet?

g/b edit: You say you've searched. I somehow doubt that. You could check here . In case you were wondering, I got that by searching google for how to bias a guitar amp.
Last edited by guitar/bass76 at Aug 17, 2007,
yeah I've tried the internet... still got nothing =\

Edit : that tells you nothing about what you have to do, or what equipment you need, it just tells you basic physics equations...

it also doesn't give you any examples of it on an actual amp... it just gives you a little diagram...

neither does it explain what plate dissipation is...
My Band =]
We play some goffic pish
Its fun

Actually that tells you exactly what you have to do. It also gives an example.
If you'd have bothered to read the entire page you may have seen this:

That "little diagram" is the amp, it shows you where and what you would need to do. In order to bias an amplifier you need a resistor, that resistor is chosen based upon the extent to which you are biasing. The rule of thumb is 70%.
If you don't know what plate dissipation is why are you even biasing your amp yourself. Save some money and pay an experienced tech to do it.
well, I'd rather learn than have someone have to do it for me all the time, and I did read the whole article, and that doesn't help one bit... & how exactly do you install a 1Ω resistor, do I need to buy one, buy some extra wire && attach it like that?
it also doesn't tell you where to install it... and that diagram doesn't help, the last time I checked my amp wasn't two purple circles and a couple of lines...
that article helps not one bit...

anyways, my amp is fixed bias, so does that think with the cathode even work on them?
My Band =]
We play some goffic pish
Its fun

No, the cathode "thing" wouldn't work. Two common types of biasing are cathode-biased and fixed-biased. The cathode types can be said to self-regulate, where as the fixed need to be manually adjusted. To install resistors you'd need a soldering iron and some solder along with the resistor to be installed.
well, how do I go about biasing a fixed bias amp if the method above won't work?
My Band =]
We play some goffic pish
Its fun

fixed is the opposite of adjustable, you'd need to install an adjustable bias circuit if you want to tinker with the bias on the fly
Epi Les Paul/Swineshead Venom pickups
THD: UniValve Head
Lopo line 4x12/Celestion V30's @ 16ohms
but would I NEED to changed the bias of it?
or would it be alright to leave it the way it is?
My Band =]
We play some goffic pish
Its fun

Biasing is smart. It's like doing a wheel alignment on your car. It's nice to have new tires, but you're not going to get the best performance out of 'em without lining 'em up properly.

Paying a tech to do it shouldn't be much more expensive than buying the tools you'd need to do it. I suggest you look around and find a tech who'll let you watch him. That way, you get a free lesson, and can buy yourself the tool you need for next time.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
only thing is, I live in fife, and not many people in here do it, and to get a tech to do it, id have to go all the way to dundee =\
My Band =]
We play some goffic pish
Its fun

^ yeah, but the good news is that you'd only have to do it once.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.